Are people better now or back in the 1980s

bignok

8 hours ago, LaosLover said:

But people were dumb as rocks back then.

Look at TV from that era, say Kath and Kim where you come from.

Music took a steep dive too after Post-Punk. 

CNN was just strating and actually had reporters that cared about the news.

No internet

kids and families played outside

Lots of tv shoes to watch

People got their news from a newspaper 

No one flamed or bullied people anonymously.

You could have a discussion with other people and share your thoughts.

Neighbours talked to each other.

It was safe to walk the streets at night in most cfities,\

Most families were 2 parents with a strong male presence

Schools actually taught kids what to do and prepared them for careers

Families taught values like trust self respnsibility and manners

No one ws screaming at you about climate change 

Woke was a verb to tell a person when you got up.

Walking Street, pat pong were dong great business

Thailand had not even heard of Macdonalds or fast  junk food.

Nah it wa a crappy time much better now   ????????

Edited by kingstonkid

Ask Marty McFly.....or Doc.........at least the Rubiks cube is still around....

(BigNoks' 9/10 wife pleads for him to step away from the pc and come make love, he refuses, saying the AN members need him and posts more must have info about 1980s...poor gal) ????

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

No internet

People sat around, played cards, talked. These days its anti social individualism

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Ask Marty McFly.....or Doc.........at least the Rubiks cube is still around....

(BigNoks' 9/10 wife pleads for him to step away from the pc and come make love, he refuses, saying the AN members need him and posts more must have info about 1980s...poor gal) ????

Goodluck finding a gf. I wish you the best.

7 minutes ago, still kicking said:

What a nonsense post 

It is a nonsense thread.......they turn up over and over again.

But "just the ticket" for disappointed, lost, hollowed out old men who are now out of place and running short of time.

Me?.........I'm 68!

????????????????

Into my heart an air that kills
From yon far country blows;
What are those blue remembered hills,
What spires, what farms are those?

That is the land of lost content,
I see it shining plain,
The happy highways where I went
And cannot come again.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

No internet

Rubbish. There were just as many broken families then as now and universities taught arts and social science degrees then as well. Families still teach those values.

• Haha 1

For me, it's the 1980s, at least for American people, with these remarks from an American who went through his 30s in the 1980s.  People, I think, were just more civil back then, in many ways.  As others have mentioned, things did move slower.  You leisurely read a newspaper in the morning and in the evening you watched a 30 minute news program on one of the networks to see what went on that day around the world.  No instant news, real or fake, from multiple sources bombarding you all the time.

Likely just one or two tvs in the household and there was more family viewing then of the much more limited choice of programs.  The tv show Dynasty averaged 21 million viewers a week in 1985.  These days, most network tv shows only attract 3 or 4 million viewers, and some less.  Everybody individually off doing their own thing now, with less family time together.

I think people behaved themselves more then.  Politicians being more civil then to members of opposing parties, with a more willingness to compromise on legislation.  Fewer people acting up and behaving badly on airplanes, in restaurants, schools, movie theaters, public places in general.  People don't seem to care now about making an ass of themselves in public.  More people now seem to want to be famous for their 15 minutes--even if it's more likely they end up infamous, instead.

Were people more discreet in the 1980s?  I think so, and possibly that was a good thing.  In 1989, Laura Bush was not yet First Lady--that would come in 2001--but her father-in-law was President of the US and she was in the public eye.   Can anyone imagine her going on national tv in 1989 and announcing that she was not wearing any underwear?   Not in a million years, I suspect.  Yet, her daughter, Jenna Bush, did just that not too long ago.  Is that something she needed to share with the public?  No.  Is it information I needed to know?  No.  Is it the first thing I think of when I hear her name?  Yes--and maybe that's something you might not want to be your claim to fame.  Pop quiz: When did the phrase 'too much information' become widely popular?  Hint:  It wasn't the 1980s.

In the 1980s, the year with the most mass shootings in the US was 1984, with 5.  The other years there were 1 to 4.  In 2022, there were 30 mass shootings.  30!  This year already 23, with the year far from over.  Why are people now doing these mass shootings so much more?  From 5 to 30 is a huge difference. 

Also, I think there was less law-breaking then with things like shoplifting--now such a problem in the US that it is having a big impact on the bottom line of stores like Home Depot, Target, and Wal-Mart.  The CEO of Home Depot spoke out on it recently.  Retailers have started to pull out of some communities altogether, throwing in the towel on trying to make a profit when so much merchandise is being stolen, including by organized shoplifting gangs that swarm into a store and ransack it, overwhelming the security.

Walgreen's is redesigning some stores with most of the merchandise locked up.  My brother-in-law manages a CVS drug store and the police have told him not to even think of calling for any stealing that is less than $150--they cannot be bothered to respond.   Sad that is now the state of affairs--and his store is in one of the wealthiest counties in America.

Did any losing presidential candidates--let alone a sitting president--plot to overthrow the government in the 1980s?  No.  Two losing candidates in other decades actually had legitimate claims, Nixon in 1960 and Gore much more so in 2000, when the Supreme Court ordered the Florida vote recount halted and awarded George W. Bush the presidency in a very close 5-4 vote.  Neither of those two acted like spoiled, crybaby, serial lying, criminal Trump, the poster boy for people behaving very badly, with zero regard for others. 

To end on a brighter note, of course some things changed for the better.  In the 1980s, the majority of people in America, and many other places, were against gay marriage.  In 1988, only 11% of Americans were in favor of it.  Living in conservative Virginia, I never thought that gay marriage would one day become legal in my life time.  From 11%, people's attitudes have changed and support for gay marriage now stands at 71%, according to Gallup data.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

The question was "Are people better now or back in the 1980's". The clear answer is back in the 1980's. Each year the world has more and more issues these days. Like with crime, mass shootings, all sorts of cyber-crime, corrupt politicians, drugs, gangs, unwarranted hatred of others, etc. Every year it gets worse. The 1980's is the clear-cut winner. MUCH better and safer world back then.

Also had a couple billion people less to rape the planet.

Re the OP- define "better". It can mean a lot of different things.

I don't think people have changed- just the technology. People didn't waste their time on <deleted> like social media or tik tok.

Obesity wasn't the problem it is today.

Cars still had character, and exploited children weren't digging for minerals to make EVs work.

• Confused 1

On 8/4/2023 at 10:17 AM, LaosLover said:

But people were dumb as rocks back then.

Look at TV from that era, say Kath and Kim where you come from.

Music took a steep dive too after Post-Punk. 

Wash your mouth out! Fashion, and social icons Kath n Kim. 'Looook at mee, loook at mee!!!'

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, HuskerDo2 said:

Someone woke up on the wrong side of bed now didn't they?

No I didn't , How can you ask a Question like that .Everybody is different and Grown up in a different environment, So some  people will  think different than others and some will  be better then in the 1980s and some will be worse .

So I will say Again It's a stupid Question . Just my Opinion .  :smile:

18 hours ago, digger70 said:

No I didn't , How can you ask a Question like that .Everybody is different and Grown up in a different environment, So some  people will  think different than others and some will  be better then in the 1980s and some will be worse .

So I will say Again It's a stupid Question . Just my Opinion .  :smile:

Of course it's different. If everyone had the same opinions and experiences then forums wouldn't exist 555

On 8/4/2023 at 6:28 PM, ozimoron said:

Rubbish. There were just as many broken families then as now and universities taught arts and social science degrees then as well. Families still teach those values.

They do then why do most people ot respect their elders why are most things always someone elsess fault.

Yes we had BA in arts but they were not basket weaving and most people tht got those ba were usng them as the start of their university career.

We did not have universities teaching us to hate each other due to the colour of our skin.

Yes some families do teach those values but sdly looking around the world they are getting fewer and fewer.

Look at the way Thai ladies are treated by Thai men.

• Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

I was cruising the world on the last atomic powered aircraft carrier and getting paid for my travels.

Black History had been made clearer by the lingering memories of "Roots"

British and European sailing history and their interactions with the Japanese were cleared up by "Shogun"

Tom Cruise was still a kid dancing in his underwear and paying for sex instead of an international spy.

All the gays knew what sex they were (and there were still only 2 genders) and they all lived in San Francisco (know then w/o repercussion as "The Gay Bay") Dirty Harry was still wiping out crime but had to take on his first female partner. (who went bra-less to show her woman power)

In Christianity, the rainbow was associated with God's protection, as it is described in the Book of Genesis (9:11–17) as a sign of the covenant between God and man. Now it's a sign of the conflict of the 0.001%'s confusion in their minds and bodies and God help you if you say any different publicly.

Now I sit at my computer reading TV.

I collect Social Security and have a tough time staying up past 9pm.

I choose the 80s in this search for knowledge. :wai:

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, mrwebb8825 said:

was cruising the world on the last atomic powered aircraft carrier and getting paid for my travels.

I find it hard to believe that you "was cruising the world on the last atomic powered aircraft carrier" as the latest Nuclear powered carrier (USS Gerald R Ford) has only been as far as Canada, European countries and the MED!

WRT the rest of your post it makes even less sense!

25 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

I find it hard to believe that you "was cruising the world on the last atomic powered aircraft carrier" as the latest Nuclear powered carrier (USS Gerald R Ford) has only been as far as Canada, European countries and the MED!

WRT the rest of your post it makes even less sense!

During and after World War II, ships in the CV series were frequently given modified designations, including CVA (attack aircraft carrier), CVAN (nuclear-powered attack aircraft carrier)

Ships built after 1975 were all nuclear. Mine was CVA-61.

In Mid-December 1992, Ranger was relieved by Kitty Hawk and began her last journey home to San Diego. Ranger and her numerous air wings earned 13 battle stars for service in the Vietnam War. She was decommissioned on July 10, 1993, and is currently at the Naval Inactive Ship Maintenance Facility, Bremerton, Washington.

Beyond that, I couldn't really shive a git what makes sense to you. Good day.

Edited by mrwebb8825