I recently forgot to do my 90 day check-in report

17 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I have no idea why people still go to immigration to do that report.

That's because you also have no idea of each person's circumstances. Personally, I go in person as it's a comfortable 40 minute drive and I'm in and out of the office in 10 minutes. It's also just a couple of minutes from two large supermarkets where I can shop afterwards. Also, their office is opposite a shop that sells the imported beer that I like.

Or, I could do it on-line and hope that it works okay and I don't have the problems that people often report on this site such at it not working and they don't get a response from their attempt.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I use my memory. They've given me a date to report this month - and it's a Saturday when they're closed :ermm: I know I can go a day early, but I wonder why they are unable to understand a calendar.

I generally go a couple of days early. Congratulations on your good memory. Some of us are not so fortunate. After brain surgery, I have memory lapses that can be very inconvenient if I don’t have a “crutch” such as phone alarms. I check the slip in my passport on a regular basis, but it’s still hard to remember the exact date I need to report.

• Thumbs Up 1

19 hours ago, lopburi3 said:
19 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Two weeks before the due date and one week after, right? In that case it's not a 90-day report. It's a 75-day report if I report my address two weeks before the due date every time.

I understand that but now that can be done online not that much of an issue for most.

Many people have been complaining about failures in the system. For my last 2 reports it failed to generate reminders and, although I lodged reports within the necessary time limits, on neither occasion did it show a result - other than pending - before the expiry of the 7 days. Both times I had to go to CW in person on the final day.

19 hours ago, BangkokHank said:

Exactly. I did my report yesterday. So if I move tomorrow, they won't know where I am until I report my address again in another 90 days. A sensible rule would be: "If you move to a new address, you must report the new address to us within seven days. Until then, we will assume that you are still at the last address that you reported to us."

But since they don't do that, I think it is safe to assume that the whole point of the exercise is to generate some easy revenue. The fine for being late with this report is more than the cost of the visa renewal for an entire year. It's totally out of proportion to the "crime".

You are required to report a new address within 24 hours, along with a TM30 report. You don’t wait 90 days unless you want to pay a fine. I agree about the reports being an easy way to generate more cash through fines. The reports don’t cost anything, but they must rack up quite a haul from fines which are assessed when reports are late. Got to keep the staff busy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, billd766 said:

Unfortunately if my wife goes then I am limited to downstairs in the house as I have a problem with breathing and walking.

If I fall over my wife is not strong enough to pick me up, though she can phone for help. Our 19 year old son is no use either as he is studying  at Chiang Rai Uni 500 km away.

Last month was my second blackout and by the time the ambulance arrived I was coming around. They took me to the local hospital where I was examined and sent straight to the provincial hospital and spent 2 nights there.

As for the first one in February it is a blank spot as I have no idea how long I was blacked out. The postman found me but my wife was in the village and he told my neighbour who called the ambulance

I remember sitting outside the kitchen and waking up in the hospital. I had no idea what had happened, where I was other than the hospital, what the time or day was or how I got there.

The IO at Kamphaeng Phet is 70 km away and a 2 and a bit hour return trip.

trip.

TBH, at 79, I am scared sh*tless of another blackout without my wife being around.

I should be back to some semblance of normality in a couple of weeks and I will do my 90 day report in person then, grimly clutching my hospital report in my hand.

sorry bud..

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, sabai-dee-man said:

In this day and age, how do you actually forget anything? Whichever device you've just posted this on has a calendar.... try setting a reminder! Ir's not rocket science!

Google Calendar, Samsung Calendar... I'm sure Apple will have an equivalent.... Really?! ????????????

Obviously you have not reached the age of forgetfulness yet.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

And even if you do late its 2000 baht or if get caught then 4000 baht but no black mark in passport.

They now do. (Oke not black but red ???? )

This happened to a guy on here very recently after he was late for his 90 day report

spacer.png

Edited by MJCM

11 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

You are required to report a new address within 24 hours, along with a TM30 report. You don’t wait 90 days unless you want to pay a fine. I agree about the reports being an easy way to generate more cash through fines. The reports don’t cost anything, but they must rack up quite a haul from fines which are assessed when reports are late. Got to keep the staff busy.

Easy money for them. I did my tm30 and got 90 day notification even went back a week later to get papers for address notification for driving licence. 90 days later when due again I wasnt in the system and had to do tm30 again 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, MJCM said:

They now do. (Oke not black but red ???? )

This happened to a guy on here very recently after he was late for his 90 day report

spacer.png

That's a red stamp it means nothing just a warning the black Stamps are the ones to avoid and only get them for long overstay or if go in prison 

2 minutes ago, malthebluff said:

That's a red stamp it means nothing just a warning the black Stamps are the ones to avoid and only get them for long overstay or if go in prison 

It is not likely to be regarded as a positive notation by any border crossing or consulate visa officer of any country however.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, lopburi3 said:

It is not likely to be regarded as a positive notation by any border crossing or consulate visa officer of any country however.

For once disagree.

It's more a warning notation at very best.

Immigration at airports and land borders would be aware of that.

Minor infraction.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Myran said:

To all the dimwits "confused" by this statement. You can't overstay a visa. A visa is used to enter the country. It doesn't allow you to stay for any amount of time and can't be overstayed. An extension/permit to stay allows you to stay in the country and can be overstayed. And no, they're not at all the same.

No need to thank me, I'm happy to help the less fortunate.

I'll tell that to immigration next time they try to fine me for overstaying a tourist visa. Haha ????

So, why do they have overstay fines then for people who overstay their visa? ????

• Confused 3

10 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

For once disagree.

It's more a warning notation at very best.

Immigration at airports and land borders would be aware of that.

Minor infraction.

In this case my immediate concern would be other countries officials as a red stamp is a red stamp when they can not read it.  Free and loose works - until it bites.  If able to keep legal believe that is what should be done even if it costs time/money occasionally.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

The fine is for overstay of your permitted to stay stamp that is printed into your passport.  The visa allows you to the entry gate - once there you are refused entry - or allowed entry with a permitted to stay stamp.  Visa does not allow either entry or stay - only to present yourself at immigration gate for processing in accordance with that visa conditions.

Then why do visas come with a specific duration (e. g. tourist visa is 2 months)?

If you stay longer than this you've overstayed your visa, right?

• Confused 2

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

The type of visa has a normal permitted to stay period (that immigration provides on entry). 

Exactly my point. Thank you.

1 minute ago, lopburi3 said:

But that time is always subject to immigration officer approval and stamp for permitted to stay.

Lol. The immigration officer stamps you for the duration allowed by your visa.

How are you managing to do mental gymnastics to say that visas don't have a time duration that you can overstay?

• Confused 2

6 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Agree many misuse term and thus confusion.  But just as an example I entered Thailand over 20 years ago on a non immigrant O visa.  That was the last visa I obtained.  I am still here.  I am not on overstay.

As long as you do not stay in country longer than your most current permitted to stay date you are not on overstay.

I get that, lol.

I haven't left the country in a decade, so I know what extensions of stay are.

After your visa expires, you are on an extension of stay.

Emphasis on: AFTER your visa expires. Before that you are still on your visa and it inherently has a duration that your are allowed to stay for. And it's possible to overstay the visa.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 2
  • Sad 1

52 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

No for last time - you are on a permitted to stay - it is clearly written in your passport as such - as are all extensions of that permitted to stay.  The visa is just a guideline for the length of that permitted to stay when you make entry.  It is the permitted to stay stamp that allows stay - not the visa stamp.

Lol. 

Let's look at an example.

You can stay for up to two months on a tourist visa.

The immigration officer at the airport authorizes this duration by putting a stamp in your passport when you arrive.

It makes sense to say you are on a 2 month tourist visa. 

It's just a silly smarty pants thing to say that "technically" you are on a permit-to-stay and it makes no sense to point that out in this example. It serves no purpose other than to try to look smart.

Even immigration officers still refer to it as a visa, lol. They don't say, " Your visa ended when you arrived in the country, now we prefer to call it a permit-to-stay" ????

It's only clever Thaivisa members who talk this way. ????

Making the distinction between a visa and a permit/extension of stay only makes sense after your visa has expired and you get an extension at the immigration office.

For example, if the tourist was to get a 30 day extension after the their initial 2 month visa is up. It makes sense to refer to it as an extension-of-stay then, but not before.

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I'll tell that to immigration next time they try to fine me for overstaying a tourist visa. Haha ????

So, why do they have overstay fines then for people who overstay their visa? ????

It is easier for them to say "wee-zah" than "permission to stay" and shorter to write. Like many posters on here, officials often think that precise language is totally unnecessary.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, FruitPudding said:

Lol. 

Let's look at an example.

You can stay for up to two months on a tourist visa.

The immigration officer at the airport authorizes this duration by putting a stamp in your passport when you arrive.

It makes sense to say you are on a 2 month tourist visa. 

It's just a silly smarty pants thing to say that "technically" you are on a permit-to-stay and it makes no sense to point that out in this example. It serves no purpose other than to try to look smart.

Even immigration officers still refer to it as a visa, lol. They don't say, " Your visa ended when you arrived in the country, now we prefer to call it a permit-to-stay" ????

It's only clever Thaivisa members who talk this way. ????

Making the distinction between a visa and a permit/extension of stay only makes sense after your visa has expired and you get an extension at the immigration office.

For example, if the tourist was to get a 30 day extension after the their initial 2 month visa is up. It makes sense to refer to it as an extension-of-stay then, but not before.

Nope, you're wrong.

2 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

After your visa expires, you are on an extension of stay.

As soon as you enter the country, you receive a "temporary permission to stay". The visa you use at that time determines the length of the permitted stay you are given, but the expiry date of your visa is irrelevant. You can subsequently apply for an "extension of your temporary permission to stay". You are never in Thailand using a visa (the new Long Term Resident visa is a partial exception).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1