I recently forgot to do my 90 day check-in report

2 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

If you stay longer than the permitted to stay stamp allows you have overstayed your stay (visit - nothing to do with visa used for entry).

EVERYTHING to do with the visa, the visa determines the length of stay

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Tell that to the guy who had a five-year Thai Elite Easy Access visa who was fined and blacklisted from Thailand for a failure to extend his permission to stay one year after his arrival using the visa. It is possible he was told by the official "you are being fined and blacklisted for exceeding your visa", but the whole problem was that he was not in Thailand on a visa.

Similarly, quite a lot of people have assumed that a one-year multiple entry Non O visa allows them to stay in Thailand until the expiry date of the visa. They fail to realise that the visa only facilitates a 90-day permission to stay each time you enter. The visa provides no right to be inside Thailand.

I am confused by your post. First you say

quote "Tell that to the guy who had a five-year Thai Elite Easy Access visa who was fined and blacklisted from Thailand for a failure to extend his permission to stay one year after his arrival using the visa."

Then you say

quote"It is possible he was told by the official "you are being fined and blacklisted for exceeding your visa", but the whole problem was that he was not in Thailand on a visa." 

Please explain the difference.

Is a Thai Elite Easy Access visa valid for a 5 year period or is it possible that it only valid for 1 year?

Alternatively does the Thai Elite Easy Access visa have to be renewed after every 1 year period?

2 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is easier for them to say "wee-zah" than "permission to stay" and shorter to write. Like many posters on here, officials often think that precise language is totally unnecessary.

Yeah, and there's really no need to split hairs with terminology if someone is still on their initial visa.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

As soon as you enter the country, you receive a "temporary permission to stay". The visa you use at that time determines the length of the permitted stay you are given, but the expiry date of your visa is irrelevant. You can subsequently apply for an "extension of your temporary permission to stay". You are never in Thailand using a visa (the new Long Term Resident visa is a partial exception).

I already acknowledged that technical detail, but pointed out that it's completely redundant to make that distinction while someone is still within the timeframe of their initial visa. The terminology doesn't matter in this case.

Of course, once your initial visa time period is over and you get an extension year after year, it's pretty clear that you are no longer on the original visa and are on an extension of stay. The terminology can matter in this case.

• Haha 2

Similarly, quite a lot of people have assumed that a one-year multiple entry Non O visa allows them to stay in Thailand until the expiry date of the visa. They fail to realise that the visa only facilitates a 90-day permission to stay each time you enter. The visa provides no right to be inside Thailand.

I am on a one-year multiple entry Non O visa, haven't done a 90 days report in over 3 years....never in country longer than 90 days due to work.

Actually....I think from memory I didn't bother reporting when I stayed in country for a year due to Covid.....

3 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

EVERYTHING to do with the visa, the visa determines the length of stay

Exactly.

You've paid for the visa and it was granted.

You are allowed to stay for that duration, unless the officer refuses you entry to the country for some reason 

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

If the officer had said, "You are being fined and blacklisted for exceeding your permission to stay" what difference would it make?

'Visa' and 'permission to stay' carry virtually the same meaning in pretty much everyone's mind and can be used synonymously without causing any confusion in the normal person (despite the technical difference between the two).

Indeed, they can be used interchangeably without any problem until the difference gets you fined and deported from Thailand.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritTim said:

Indeed, they can be used interchangeably without any problem until the difference gets you fined and deported from Thailand.

The only way that would happen is if the person didn't understand the rules of the visa they applied for and were given.................. nothing to do with the terminology.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

The only way that would happen is if the person didn't understand the rules of the visa they applied for and were given.................. nothing to do with the terminology.

... as, for instance, they believed they needed to leave Thailand before the expiry date of their visa (meaning the visa sticker placed in their passport by the consulate).

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BritTim said:

... as, for instance, they believed they needed to leave Thailand before the expiry date of their visa (meaning the visa sticker placed in their passport by the consulate).

Right, cos they didn't look at the stamp immigration put in their passport.

What you call that stamp makes no difference though, right?

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Do you honestly know how WRONG you are? Of course a VISA allows you to stay for a set amount of time, and of course you can overstay that permitted time.

The only "dimwit" is you and your totally wrong information!

Nope. A visa's duration is the amount of time you have to use it to enter the country. It's basically an invitation saying: "This person fulfills the conditions to enter the country based on this premise. Please allow them to enter". It is then up to to the immigration officer to admit the person and give them an permit to stay (or not) based on the particular entry. The fact that there are specific lenghts of permits to stay associated with specific entries do not mean they're the same.

You cannot overstay a visa, you can only overstay your permit to stay. Your visa's validity has nothing to do with the length of your permit to stay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

Right, cos they didn't look at the stamp immigration put in their passport.

What you call that stamp makes no difference though, right?

It is pretty confusing if you call both the sticker issued by the consulate, and the stamp informing you of the expiry of your permission to stay a "visa", and just told you must leave before the end of your "visa" (whatever that means). Which visa? the one issued by he consulate or the "visa" issued by immigration at the airport or the "visa" extension issued by the local immigration office or the re-entry "visa"?

It is easy to call everything in your passport a "visa", but unhelpful when trying to understand the rules.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, BritTim said:

It is pretty confusing if you call both the sticker issued by the consulate, and the stamp informing you of the expiry of your permission to stay a "visa", and just told you must leave before the end of your "visa" (whatever that means). Which visa? the one issued by he consulate or the "visa" issued by immigration at the airport or the "visa" extension issued by the local immigration office or the re-entry "visa"?

It is easy to call everything in your passport a "visa", but unhelpful when trying to understand the rules.

Well, maybe for you. Everyone is different, of course.

The concept of applying for a visa in advance and then being stamped into the country probably isn't that hard for most people to wrap their heads around, regardless of what you call it.

Immigration loosely refers to extension of stay as a "visa".

Also, "Visa on Arrival" effectively is a visa-free permission to stay, yet they officially call it a "visa" on arrival, nonetheless. 

Also, the stamp that immigration puts in your passport when you arrive does not actually say anything like "permission to stay." It says, "visa class" and then it has the date you are admitted until based on the visa you have.

We should really do a poll to see how many people find the terminology an import factor for understanding their visa rules.....or, I mean.... permission-to-stay rules,.... jeez it's just so hard, I'm getting confused now; I fear I might overstay. Lol.

Anyway, I maintain that the guys on here who split hairs over the technical difference between the two are just trying to be a smarty pants (and probably cause more confusion to the novice traveler reading it, actually).

Edited by FruitPudding
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

On 8/6/2023 at 9:14 AM, FruitPudding said:

I get that, lol.

I haven't left the country in a decade, so I know what extensions of stay are.

After your visa expires, you are on an extension of stay.

Emphasis on: AFTER your visa expires. Before that you are still on your visa and it inherently has a duration that your are allowed to stay for. And it's possible to overstay the visa.

If you come on a single entry visa it expires the second the Immigration Officer stamps it as USED after they have approved your entry to the Kingdom on the terms specified by said visa. 

That's all she wrote.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1