Why i like Thailand

bignok

9 minutes ago, bob smith said:

best thing about grab is that you can opt for a silent journey by checking the tick box on the app.

which means the taxi driver isnt allowed to talk to you and you can submit a formal complaint if they do.

i personally do not like engaging with taxi drivers after too many bad experiences so I always choose this option.

Friendly chap

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, bignok said:

Friendly chap

when you've had a knife pulled on you in the middle of the night because you caught him rigging the meter and called him out on it i doubt you would be that friendly either!

these clowns deserve whatever they get. may the starting fare remain at 35 baht forever more.

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 2

7 minutes ago, bob smith said:

when you've had a knife pulled on you in the middle of the night because you caught him rigging the meter and called him out on it i doubt you would be that friendly either!

these clowns deserve whatever they get. may the starting fare remain at 35 baht forever more.

Whilst you are tarring all with the same negative brush I am thankful that Thai's are more open minded, somewhat forgiving and possess the intelligence not to tar all foreigners with the same brush lest I am treated with a similar degree of disregard to which you are so clearly deserving, bob....   

Just sayin'.... perhaps so many of your negative experiences are self perpetuating.

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Just sayin'.... perhaps so many of your negative experiences are self perpetuating.

or...

it could be that i have experienced so much negativity here over the years that it has sadly shaped my view of thais and thailand in general.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, bob smith said:

or...

it could be that i have experienced so much negativity here over the years that it has sadly shaped my view of thais and thailand in general.

Go home then. Go west young man.

2 hours ago, ICU Kid said:

Life improves if you ignore the 'news' when you're at home - none of that stuff (or covid etc.) exists in real life.  Up to you though

back home and in thailand. both.

following the daily news will make you feel more miserable.

and most of it doesn't affect your life.

3 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

True. Maybe i should stop posting here for a week. Probably feel better.

23 minutes ago, bob smith said:
31 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

or...

Did you ever stop to consider whether it's just you? because the vast majority of people on this forum and those with whom I interact most certainly do not hold similar sentiment towards Thai's....  hence my comment that your negative experiences  could be solely a result of the impression you exude. 

In reality any encounters we experience are likely to be a combination of environment and impression we exude.

We've all had negative encounters and experiences here in Thailand, as with anywhere else...  In Thailand for most of us the negative experiences are usually insignificant pathetic stuff we can simply walk away from and have a little whinge about on this forum to fuel the fire of those who'd comment "if you don't like it go home"....  

I'm trying to think of the last genuinely negative experience I had in Thailand and I can't... it was probably some fool on the road.... 

In the past I've also had a couple of extremely negative experiences dealing with officialdom (Amphur Office), that is mirrored trying do deal with the Passport Office in the UK.... 

I think sometimes we stay here too long the viewpoint becomes jaded and a 're-set' is healthy..... 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Exactly.  The secret is the *99.999% of media stories are completely fake*.

Underlying messages are:

Be scared & fearful!

Stay in your box for safety!

Demand the right to pay more taxes to protect you from promoted dangers!

If you assume it's ALL BS you'll be both happier and more realistic : )

Don't watch this, it'll only bug you: 

16 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

Exactly.  The secret is the *99.999% of media stories are completely fake*.

well, not sure it's that high.

but the onslaught of negativity is not healthy.

i got rid of my TV, but it's impossible to avoid daily news entirely.

back in the old days, we'd come home from work and turn on the nightly news at 6. that's the worst thing to do. adds more stress to your day. better to turn on some classical music after work. 

Edited by save the frogs

Just now, save the frogs said:

well, not sure it's that high.

but the onslaught of negativity is not healthy.

i got rid of my TV, but it's impossible to avoid daily news entirely.

OT but which big stories do you think are real or not completely contrived?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

In the past I've also had a couple of extremely negative experiences dealing with officialdom (Amphur Office), that is mirrored trying do deal with the Passport Office in the UK.... 

ive had nothing but pleasant experiences with the UK passport office....

Its a funny old world innit! ???? 

27 minutes ago, ICU Kid said:

OT but which big stories do you think are real or not completely contrived?

I don't watch the news often enough anymore. 

I dont know what's really going on between Russia and Ukraine. I don't trust any of the news. I don't take sides because it's impossible to have all the facts.

It's a waste of time arguing about it. 

Only the 1 per cent elites really know what's going on politically.

I saw a job posting for an ESL job in Ukraine. I found it rather odd that foreigners are allowed to go teach ESL there in the midst of a war. 

North Korea - total fabrication. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, bob smith said:

ive had nothing but pleasant experiences with the UK passport office....

Its a funny old world innit! ???? 

Indeed....  when they didn't want to give me a second passport.... 

A couple of arrogant yet lazy civil servants and an annoyed entitled 'citizen' (myself)...  I got my second passport in the end and a couple of the civil servants in the Passport Office were left red-faced... but not before some firm words, an encounter which left everyone in less relaxed place than they were before.

Sometimes the negative encounter is down to our own attitudes, someones an issue is unavoidable....  In this case, they were wrong, I was rather bullish which didn't help matters either. 

Perhaps similar to a negative encounter I had at an Amphur office years ago when I was dealt with in quite a negative manner.

'sometimes it's not you, its them' and this stuff happens everywhere, often a result of the person negatively 'judging' in an instant - sometimes people instantly just don't like another, especially if they are having a bad day, extremely rare, but it happens... perhaps about 1 in 100 situations or less.... 

Based on your posts I suspect the 'negative' occurs more frequently with you, I'd be left wondering why and looking inwards. 

6 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

I don't watch the news often enough anymore. 

I dont know what's really going on between Russia and Ukraine. I don't trust any of the news. I don't take sides because it's impossible to have all the facts.

It's a waste of time arguing about it. 

Only the 1 per cent elites really know what's going on politically.

I saw a job posting for an ESL job in Ukraine. I found it rather odd that foreigners are allowed to go teach ESL there in the midst of a war. 

North Korea - total fabrication. 

Very well put.   This knowledge puts you in the top percentile of humans IMO

99.9999% of news is extremely hoaxy.

To the auto-believers of news stories...

Be scared & fearful!

Stay in your box for safety!

Demand the right to pay more taxes to protect you from the promoted dangers!

& I forgot to add: BE or STAY ANGRY!!!!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

A couple of arrogant yet lazy civil servants and an annoyed entitled 'citizen' (myself)...  I got my second passport in the end and a couple of the civil servants in the Passport Office were left red-faced... but not before some firm words, an encounter which left everyone in less relaxed place than they were before.

try having that attitude in Thailand when you renew your visa.

I'd bet my house on them refusing to stamp it for you and maybe even sticking you on a blacklist.

At least in the UK we are allowed to air our frustrations at actual or perceived indignation/incompetence, unlike here.

Edited by bob smith
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, bob smith said:

a taxi driver almost ran me over and flipped me off at a zebra crossing yesterday, calling me a bird poo foreigner,

no improvement of the thais attitude towards foreigners on my end.....

Lucky you! Not a water monitor ! Blessed feeling !

3 hours ago, bob smith said:
3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Expand  

try having that attitude in Thailand when you renew your visa.

I'd bet my house on them refusing to stamp it for you and maybe even sticking you on a blacklist.

It's difficult to entertain discussion with you bob because you come out with such ridiculously silly and unrealistic responses. 

You're betting your house that my next visa extension will be refused or I'll end up on a black-list ???....   

...at least you are entertaining.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, bob smith said:

a taxi driver almost ran me over and flipped me off at a zebra crossing yesterday, calling me a bird poo foreigner,

no improvement of the thais attitude towards foreigners on my end.....

What part of the country are you in, Pattaya? Try the far north. They are always polite and friendly.

Edited by XB12X

On 8/8/2023 at 2:54 PM, spidermike007 said:

Helps if you get away from the tourist spots, where some of the locals are jaded. 

A light heart, a sense of humor, and a good attitude help too. 

And dress a bit nice when visiting government buildings (like immigration). Smile and do a wai from your nose to show respect when meeting with bank employees, government officials and Thai people will treat you better.