What % of farangs in Thailand are worth talking to?

bignok

40 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I keep hearing that, but in a year here, it seems they pack in during the tourist season, but are otherwise very light.

My building is about 80% Japanese Air BNB. Most of the businesses near me are for Japanese people; I have 2 macha tea parlors within 5 minutes walk. We seldom see a non-Jap in our fave sushi, Umai Sushi, or at the American Diner-themed Rock Me Burger next door. J-people love a fake American Diner.

That said, most of the good Chinese Restaurants in Chiang Mai are in Nimman, but I don't see many Chinese people eating in them. On the weekends, Nimman packs out with Thai people.

White Person Nimman is pretty small, because it's relatively expensive. And they're more in the swimming pool condo's on the Maya Mall side of the road than on our Nimman1 side of the road, which is the low -traffic maze of restaurants and street food and old growth big trees that make it feel bit Pai-ish. 

White Person Nimman is about having your pick of gyms, smoking local-price pot, and eating out a lot. Can't fault it. Or my brethren on that plan.

Any tourist I meet is blind with envy and wants to know rental prices. 98% of the white people I see are here for less than 3 days. They're usually 2nd timers to CM who want something diff from The Old City.

Nimmon is expensive and hard  to see why . 

Just recently saw a 2 bedroom condo that the owners were asking 50000 baht a month for in Nimmon . 

Considering a return of 5 percent on the value of the property  the rent is way over the top . 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, retarius said:

Very few, very very few. My main complaint about living in Thailand is the total absence of any decent conversation. The guys in my town spend time together getting slammed drunk and talking about sport, then "idiotic

Where do you live?

1 minute ago, itsari said:

Just recently saw a 2 bedroom condo that the owners were asking 50000 baht a month for in Nimmon . 

Considering a return of 5 percent on the value of the property  the rent is way over the top . 

I saw a decent hotel 8,000 baht a month in old city. Large rooms 12,000 baht. 

Bolt is 55 baht to Nimman from that hotel.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Neeranam said:

Everyone is worth talking too, it's an oversized ego that stop people thinking so. 

Not unless you enjoy headaches. Some people are ok for 5 mins. Beyond that nothing there but whinge. I have to walk away from some people. 

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

whatever the percentage
it is a thin line between that number and zero
first few years here in Pattaya i quickly got tired of talking to ferangs
as 99% would not want a conversation
all they would be interested in was finding out how i made money and if they could do the same
and beer and bar girls obviously
as it is everywhere, those who are actually worth conversing with, usually don't have the time.

• Thumbs Up 2

3 minutes ago, itsari said:

Agreed. a 3 bedroom in my old style brutalist concrete building just went for 80K a month. And the tenant paid 2 years in advance.

As a comparison tho, to live in a similar place like Soho or Greenwich Village, NYC would cost you 4 times as much.  We barely ever leave Nimman; there's enough to keep us happy steps away from our home.

We'll not be enticed towards Santiem, even if it only costs 55 baht to get there. Low traffic streets are also worth paying a premium for. Quiet, big tree streets AND a wide range of great restaurants is a very unique setting.

It depends what you mean by talk to. A quick chat in the street or more? I hardly have time to see current small number of western friends, never mind meeting others. This is partly due to not mixing groups of people. I'll be doing some karaoke tonight with my Thai table tennis friends, last week I met my bowling team, the week before I met my German friend. As a popular guy, this means I have to say no to a lot to invitations. Some may think that I believe I'm better than them because of this, which is not the case. I simply don't have the energy. 

• Thanks 1

About as many as you think are worth talking to.

Personally I find farangs in BKK to be a bit more educated, interesting and cosmopolitan. Pattaya tends to attract what my friends and I call "The Pattaya Strange". Generally these are the bar statues who talk on endlessly about conspiracy theories and heavy right wing politics.. my personal opinion only of course. Your mileage may vary.

Edited by likerdup1

Just now, likerdup1 said:

About as many as you think are worth talking to.

Personally I find farangs in BKK to be a bit more educated, interesting and cosmopolitan. Pattaya tends to attract what my friends and I call "The Pattaya Strange". Generally these are the bar statues who talk on endlessly about conspiracy theories.

I agree.

37 minutes ago, bignok said:

Bolt is 55 baht to Nimman from that hotel.

"Why stay in New York? Just stay in Staten Island".

What do these mythical "good" conversations consist of? Manly squinting about how a man's gotta do what a man's gonna do? Recalling past rice paddy beauty queen conquests?

Just now, LaosLover said:

"Why stay in New York? Just stay in Staten Island".

What do these mythical "good" conversations consist of? Manly squinting about how a man's gotta do what a man's gonna do? Recalling past rice paddy beauty queen conquests?

Nimman is pretty average imo. 

Had little interest in talking to others when I lived around farangs.  Now that I live on the Thai Lao border it isn't an option and wish it were.  While reading I take a break to talk to my toes,  I even come to AseanNow 1-2 times a month to do it online and the crowd here can be quite dreadful.   

• Haha 1

My neighbour was an interesting foreigner, who became a good friend, was in the CIA, had the order of the white elephant for work on Laos border war, had a 'licensed to kill' card from Vietnamese leader. Was also First secretary at US embassy. Spoke 7 languages fluently, learned Russian in 6 weeks, couldn't speak a word of Thai despite living here for decades. I used to go to his apt 3 days a week to listen. Wrote a book, which could only be published after he died. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

My neighbour was an interesting foreigner, who became a good friend, was in the CIA, had the order of the white elephant for work on Laos border war, had a 'licensed to kill' card from Vietnamese leader. Was also First secretary at US embassy. Spoke 7 languages fluently, learned Russian in 6 weeks, couldn't speak a word of Thai despite living here for decades. I used to go to his apt 3 days a week to listen. Wrote a book, which could only be published after he died. 

And is any of that true?

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1