How to buy better fitting clothes/shirts here in Thailand or generally as a man?

AndyAndyAndy

I'm in my mid 30s and I need a few better fitting shirts. I have some 500 Baht shirts but in all of them I look like a guy on the right. It's my size - but it hangs on me like a sack of potatoes.  I don't know if I should shop more expensive, 3000 - 5000 Baht shirts fit better? Or does it have to be custom tailored - is it how people make it look like on the left? Somehow I skipped on this life lesson so I'm little bit lost here. ????

2023-08-16_233223.png.8d16fff043bbd29b1cd4b451ee96c65f.png

1 hour ago, bbko said:

You can always have them taken in by any local seamstress on the soi for a small fee.

I keep hold of a cruddy old one that has the perfect size and have a shirt I buy at the opp shop adjusted.  Usually,  just tapering in on the torso. Sometimes,  I look so great,  I wish I was a supermodel. 

The pop up ad while typing is getting real annoying Mr.  asean now.  Dont you like your visitors to your site? 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, AndyAndyAndy said:

I'm in my mid 30s and I need a few better fitting shirts. I have some 500 Baht shirts but in all of them I look like a guy on the right. It's my size - but it hangs on me like a sack of potatoes.  I don't know if I should shop more expensive, 3000 - 5000 Baht shirts fit better? Or does it have to be custom tailored - is it how people make it look like on the left? Somehow I skipped on this life lesson so I'm little bit lost here. ????

2023-08-16_233223.png.8d16fff043bbd29b1cd4b451ee96c65f.png

Adults needing advise how to buy clothes ... hmm

If off the rack doesn't work for you, it doesn't for me, though TBH, I don't really care, as hate tight fitting clothes.

Standing 175cm/5'9", w/18 neck and 46-48 chest/shoulders/jacket size, every off the rack shirt, thinks my waist should be 50+ and my arms another half meter longer ????

With that .... find a good tailor, as they don't cost much more, if at all, than a quality shirt off the rack.

I use to order pants on line, same scenario, short legs, me, but they hemmed them up for free, and why I stuck with 2 vendors for a long time (USA).   I actually bought a sewing machine, to do alterations myself.

Now the wife makes all my clothes ????  Problem solved ????

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

Adults needing advise how to buy clothes ... hmm

If off the rack doesn't work for you, it doesn't for me, though TBH, I don't really care, as hate tight fitting clothes.

Standing 175cm/5'9", w/18 neck and 46-48 chest/shoulders/jacket size, every off the rack shirt, thinks my waist should be 50+ and my arms another half meter longer ????

With that .... find a good tailor, as they don't cost much more, if at all, than a quality shirt off the rack.

I use to order pants on line, same scenario, short legs, me, but they hemmed them up for free, and why I stuck with 2 vendors for a long time (USA).   I actually bought a sewing machine, to do alterations myself.

Now the wife makes all my clothes ????  Problem solved ????

My wife alters many of my clothes too save buying new because most them seem to shrink in size. ????

Just now, Kwasaki said:

My wife alters many of my clothes too save buying new because most them seem to shrink in size. ????

Lot of the stuff sold here isn't prewashed before made.  First times buying here, took a while to find a couple brands (pants) that didn't shrink up after a few washes.

• Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Lot of the stuff sold here isn't prewashed before made.  First times buying here, took a while to find a couple brands (pants) that didn't shrink up after a few washes.

Well I was insinuating that I go about shrinking myself and go on a diet and do more exercise from time to time. ????

• Haha 1

I bought some shirts in large malls that fit well. I’m slim fit usually.  But you can’t go too inexpensive.  You can also try tailor made. I bought some of those also.  Not too expensive. 
Also depends on your budget.  Some expats think 200 baht for a shirt is too expensive. 

My GF buys shirts, trousers etc. for me in the secondhand shops. If they don't fit perfectly, there's a seamstress in the village to make them so.

She has a good eye for top shelf brands, it's amazing what people discard after wearing once or twice.

She loves shopping, can spend 5 or 6 hours in a store with a friend who is similarly inclined.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 8/17/2023 at 12:03 AM, richard_smith237 said:

Go slim fit… 

or… as you mentioned, tailored <deleted>s are inexpensive here… 

… but really, aren’t there any malls near you ? Thailands kind of the slim fit capital of the world !!!…… 

Complete opposite of most falangs.

Any nice shirt I try on the buttons pop off.