Thinking of making this the last time I quit drinking- but one problem!

Scouse123

A post contravening our Forum Rules has been removed:

42. You will not advertise, display, promote, review or endorse, directly or indirectly, the name or trademark of any alcoholic beverage. Such actions are potentially in contravention of Section 32 of the Alcoholic Beverage Control Act (2008).

60 days clean is a good effort.   

Do you have a problem when you drink? Can you stop at any time?

Do you have health issues made worse by alcohol - eg Type 2 Diabetes or obesity?

I enjoy a drink (or 6) and imbibe on most days. I am fortunate not to have any health issues and my weight is under control. I am not interested in earning brownie points for my purity - I just want to enjoy my life. It's Up to You! - as they say..

Funny story - my Dad was a functioning alcoholic. Sometimes I would drop in to see him on one of his many 'alcohol free days'. He would invariably be relaxing having a few beers. Dad!, what about the alcohol free days? - I would say.  'Ohh, there's not much alcohol in beer' would be the response.. 555 

• Haha 1

The medication approach would probably fly.

I have never been a big drinker. The last two years, I was probably averaging a glass of wine or a Scotch and Coke twice a week.

I quit entirely in February this year. I went on to medication which requires 7 glasses of water a day. I'd be beyond stupid putting alcohol on top of what my kidneys and liver are coping with.

I can't say I miss alcohol, although IMO a steak cries out for a glass of shiraz to go with it.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Scouse123 said:

I drink Champagne in free lounges

Quite a pleasant person in drink as I don't annoy anybody.

Any champagne low grade enough to be given away is usually very missable. See also: unlimited mimosa's at brunch.

Sober Curious is worth a look for you because it handles social drinking with a 'just have one (and only one) approach.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Any champagne low grade enough to be given away is usually very missable. See also: unlimited mimosa's at brunch.

Sober Curious is worth a look for you because it handles social drinking with a 'just have one (and only one) approach.

Not in Qatar business class, it isn't! 

Top wines and champagnes.

But I have been bright eyed, clearheaded, down in weight, heavier in pocket, whilst off the drink.

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Ill check it out today, Sober curious and thanks!

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

I am now well into 60 days off the drink again, and I will continue this until I fly on September 6th to the UK.

I take a bit of getting going but after the first two days I can just totally forget about anything alcohol related. We have beers in the fridge untouched and I leave spirits alone.

This is not the first time I have stopped, I have done it for far longer periods in Thailand and for various reasons, usually weight and health. As usual, I haven't missed it, I have lost weight, look better, healthier skin, not bloated and in Isaarn I get bored of drinking for the sake of it, and saved money which I never thought much about, but having plenty in the wallet because I am not spending on anything.

Food and fuel as with household expenses I do by card or online depending on what it is.

The problem starts on September 6th when I have access to all the fancy lounges both in Bangkok and Doha with champagne and wines galore all for nothing. When I get to the other end, I will have in any pub my favorite drinks ' on tap ' and be with people I like socializing with. I am not alcoholic nor do I have a problem with it, Also, on family and friends occasions I like drinking. But then I come back to Thailand and drink regularly again.( daily)

I think it will be hard doing a UK trip and my sisters 60th if I say I am not drinking. My way is to stay in and out of everyone's way and then I feel no outside pressure to drink.

I could say I am on medication, because they sure as hell wont believe Ive converted to Islam ( Staunch Atheist).

It's a tough one because I am seriously leaning towards calling it a day with the drink.

Is there many of you that have quit?

In the lounges you could stick to the nice food and forget that you could get fancy drinks for free.

In the UK just tell them that you need to do it for health reasons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scouse123 said:

Is there many of you that have quit?

Can't say I quit or ever will, as do enjoy it occasionally.   But in complete control of it, actually, past 15 yrs rarely open a 2nd (490ml).  That's only once or twice a month, and usually revolves around what I'm eating, not social setting.

I stopped buying slabs of beer, as simply takes too long to drink, and don't like drinking any beer over 6 months old.

Getting pass social/peer pressure can be a challenge, but wasn't for me.  I have no problem sipping water as others indulge.

I would question anyone's friendship, who persisted to pressure me other wise.  Give me a strange look, ask 'who are you, and what did you do with LA ?', but don't pester me to get drunk.

Again, never had  problem with them type of folks.

In the lounges, sit facing away from the alcohol ... I have hard time turning down free crap also, especially if I like it ????

Edited by KhunLA
  • Haha 1

I joined the Navy at 17.There was plenty of alcohol available. We got our daily "tot" rum issue at noon.

After secure (1700) we were entitled to 2 cans of beer per person.Needless to say the non drinkers were obligated to give the rest of us their ration of rum/beer. Leaving 6 years later I was well on my way to a part in a movie staring WC Fields. I somehow managed to hold a long term job and avoid prison.

My problem was not knowing when I had enough. Passing out comes to mind.

I finally stopped last January @ 72 and immediately lost weight and sleep much better. I dodged the bullet.

Best thing I ever did for myself even if it was late in the game.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, LaosLover said:

Take a look at the Sober-Curious approach. It helped me. 

I agree, drinking in the UK is insidiously pleasurable. I drank more there in 8 years than the rest of my life combined.

Def agree that a good way to excuse yourself from drinking is claiming you're on medication, or just simply say, "it doesn't agree with me anymore".

I do this when Thais try to get me to drink their whiskey, I just say Jepp  Tong can not.

9 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I do this when Thais try to get me to drink their whiskey, I just say Jepp  Tong can not.

I go with 'I'm driving' ...

... not that I would ever touch any homemade whisky.  Could result in blindness or death ????

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

I am not alcoholic nor do I have a problem with it, Also, on family and friends occasions I like drinking. But then I come back to Thailand and drink regularly again.( daily)

Hi. My name is Scouse123 and I am an alcoholic.

Hi Scouse 123 [mumbled softly by the others] 

ps - nobody really cares if you go to a party and don't drink. 

• Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

I just say Jepp  Tong can not.

you could just say Jiab Tong and nobody would really care - who cares if you can't drink because you have a pain or a baby chicken in there... 

my family knows I don't drink and probably think it is a good quality. 

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

It's not about drinking in Thailand, that is sorted already .

2 hours ago, 1FinickyOne said:

ps - nobody really cares if you go to a party and don't drink. 

This is UK I am referring to not Thailand.  Of course I can say No, but I can't sit hours in a bar on coffee or lime and soda, it ain't me.

You are craving something that alcohol can not provide.  

I searched most of my life for this too.  Taking the standard dead end routes.  But never giving up.  Keeping a positive attitude.

The following quote will make sense when you get on the right road.

Enter by the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it.  Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

This is UK I am referring to not Thailand.  Of course I can say No, but I can't sit hours in a bar on coffee or lime and soda, it ain't me.

lime and soda water would be fine for me, but then, I am not an alcoholic... 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1