Where Prayut Succeeded — And Fell Short — At Making Thailand More Competitive

webfact

The only thing I will give him some credit for, are the infrastructure improvements made, during his reign. Otherwise, he was a dismal failure.

Have you talked to any new car dealers lately? While you can barely find a new car available in the US, the dealers here are barely moving any.
Have you spoken to an honest real estate broker lately? While land in smaller towns seems to be selling, how about condos in Bangkok, Pattaya and Phuket? Do you know anyone who owns a hotel or guest house? I do. They are hurting. How about restaurants? Business is way down for most. The Thai economy is decimated. I could go on and on. Most ex-pats are oblivious to the pain millions of Thai families are feeling right now. Millions lost their businesses due to the extreme cowardice when it came to re-opening the country, and the highly selective nature of the shutdowns.

What ever happened with your promises to root out your bad apple immigration guys, on the border? They likely let in thousands, to line their greedy pockets. What about the corrupt cops, army officials, customs agents? Do you care at all, on any level, about anything other than your own enrichment, and the vintage of ridiculously expensive champagne you will have this evening?

Covid could have been a great opportunity for a reset. There is nothing to suggest anything like that happened. If anything, Thailand is moving backwards, joining the proud ranks of Haiti, Cuba, Paraguay, Gabon, Yemen, Equatorial Guinea, and Cambodia. Good job guys. I would refer to this as the devolution of your nation from the once proud Tiger of SE Asia, into a whiny, sickly, anemic, crying alley cat. 

The extent to which Prayuth, Anutin and Phiphat have destroyed tourism and the Thai economy is unforgivable. They may be remembered for generations. As the guys who set Thailand on a path from a developed nation, to lower 3rd world status. Prayuth is a failure. He fails at everything he touches. Thankfully, this charlatan is on his way out, heading toward utter oblivion, and the waste basket of tragic history. 

• Like 1

Ridiculous. The article considers only a narrow segment of economic projects without considering the benefits and financial dependencies. When i  look at it as a whole, my  judgment is quite different.

- Modernization of the school and education system?
- Excellence in research?
- Better health care for all Thais?
- Set up a pension system?
- Land reform?
- Modernization of the authorities?
- Police reform?
- Reducing the national debt?
- Strengthening democracy?
- Investments in future technologies?
- Water and sewage security?
- Road safety?
- Waste management?
- Flood prevention?
- Reduction of corruption?
- Economic growth?
- Better distribution of income?
- Transparency in government spending?
- and much more.

Succeeded?

Has there been success for the Thai people on these issues? Certainly not.

• Thanks 1

On 8/17/2023 at 8:52 AM, Pouatchee said:

Success?  Total bs.

Reality being that he wouldn't have the slighest clue:

- What 'competitive' means.

- The importance in modern business of 'competitive'.

- Nor the meaning/importance of 'competive advantage'

- And no knowledge objective of subjective on how to build and maintain 'competitiveness'. 

- Nor any knowledge of wher 'competiveness' fits into the concept / activities of globalization.

Edited by scorecard
  • Like 1