I thought extortion was illegal? International shipper does it again

PeterA

I was sent the other day some glasses I forgot and left at my families home in the US. They were sent via D**.  Paid in full at the time of shipping.

Tracking shows clearing the customs in Thailand then being ready to ship to me at my home in Thailand.

Then on the day of expected delivery, I get an email from D**, that they need more money for "services", to the tune of 1,025 THB.

I thought extortion was illegal here?  This is the 2nd time this shipper has asked for extra funds for services.

As a consumer, do I have any rights or should I process this legally? Or suck it up as another screw job?

Thanks

• Confused 4
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

How is this extortion? Sounds more like a import duty/tax.

There are ways to contest the fee;

1. The recipients/consignees wishing to object to Customs valuation or request duty and tax exemption are required to follow the steps below: 
    1. The consignee complete and submit Request Form (available at post offices and www.postalcustoms.com) along with the notification and relevant documents such as evidences for purchase and receipts to the designated post office. Duty and tax payment is not required at this stage.
    2. The post office hands over the parcel and all documents received to Customs
    3. Customs Service Division responsible for post informs the result of consideration to the relevant post office so that it could inform the consignee accordingly. The consignee may decide on one of the following options:
      • Be informed of the result by Thailand Post and pick up the goods at the post office indicated in the notification
      • Request to be informed of the result and pick up the goods at Parcel Screening and Examination Sub-division, Postal Customs Service Division, EMS Centre Building, Soi Chang Wattana 5, Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&top_menu=menu_homepage&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, PeterA said:

I was sent the other day some glasses I forgot and left at my families home in the US. They were sent via D**.  Paid in full at the time of shipping.

Tracking shows clearing the customs in Thailand then being ready to ship to me at my home in Thailand.

Then on the day of expected delivery, I get an email from D**, that they need more money for "services", to the tune of 1,025 THB.

I thought extortion was illegal here?  This is the 2nd time this shipper has asked for extra funds for services.

As a consumer, do I have any rights or should I process this legally? Or suck it up as another screw job?

Thanks

- Who did the customs clearance? That although office work it still costs. 

- When the shipper paid in full did that include customs duty, customs clearance fee etc.

- The fact that customs where involved suggests that whatever it was attracted customs duty. Say 30% of the landed value + VAT. 

The parcel company with two words and beginning with F is worse.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, neilrob said:

If you import items into Thailand you have to pay customs duty and VAT on them. You should expect this on an international shipment. This is what the shipper is asking you to pay, plus a small service fee to handle the transaction. This is not extortion but government taxes you pay on imports, particularly if you ship via an express service. If you ship by the post office, then taxes are normally waived below a certain value, but it would take a long time. What value did the person shipping the glasses to you declare for the shipment? Thai Customs will normally charge taxes on this plus on the shipping cost. You can get an itemised list of the charges from the shipper's web site if you look

My sister declared a value of $150 USD. She said DHL there told here to make it $200 for reasons unknown to me.

1 minute ago, PeterA said:

Anytime I have something shipped via D$L, it gets re-routed to customs a second time after arrival, and 3 out of 4 times, gets a duty or tax added.  I am paying fees to D$L, not customs.  I am also paying import-export duty, and Duty Tax receiver. When I use the post office, 1 out of 10 times.  And. D$L says it is confidential, not to tell anyone. Ha! Wonder why? They are telling me the forms did not say for personal use. Prescription glasses are for something else?

• Sad 2

1 hour ago, bbko said:

1. The recipients/consignees wishing to object to Customs valuation or request duty and tax exemption are required to follow the steps below: 
    1. The consignee complete and submit Request Form (available at post offices and www.postalcustoms.com) along with the notification and relevant documents such as evidences for purchase and receipts to the designated post office. Duty and tax payment is not required at this stage.
    3. Customs Service Division responsible for post informs the result of consideration to the relevant post office so that it could inform the consignee accordingly. The consignee may decide on one of the following options:
      • Be informed of the result by Thailand Post and pick up the goods at the post office indicated in the notification
      • Request to be informed of the result and pick up the goods at Parcel Screening and Examination Sub-division, Postal Customs Service Division, EMS Centre Building, Soi Chang Wattana 5, Chaengwattana Road, Laksi, Bangkok

https://www.customs.go.th/list_strc_simple_neted.php?ini_content=individual_160503_03_160922_01&lang=en&top_menu=menu_homepage&left_menu=menu_individual_submenu_01_160421_02

Glasses are two years old. No receipts. The post office does not have them, D$L does. 5 hour drive to fight with customs is not worth it.

2 hours ago, neilrob said:

If you import items into Thailand you have to pay customs duty and VAT on them. You should expect this on an international shipment. This is what the shipper is asking you to pay, plus a small service fee to handle the transaction. This is not extortion but government taxes you pay on imports, particularly if you ship via an express service. If you ship by the post office, then taxes are normally waived below a certain value, but it would take a long time. What value did the person shipping the glasses to you declare for the shipment? Thai Customs will normally charge taxes on this plus on the shipping cost. You can get an itemised list of the charges from the shipper's web site if you look

Nope. If you send thing normal post and it is dutiable you pay the correct duty applied by Thai Customs - I don't think I have been charged more than 30%, most things 15%. With couriers, especially rhymes with Hell, you pay way more.

Edited by mokwit
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, bbko said:

This is for duties applied by Customs themselves. Few avail themselves of this opportunity because if Thai Customs, who are the judge in the case, find you are wrong to claim i.e. thye duty was correctly applied they charge you 5x what they originally charged (this may have changed but it certainly was the case).

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, PeterA said:

I don't know what that is.

The Incoterms define who pays what, unless you signed up overseas for DDP (Delivered Duty Paid) then it's more likely the receiver is responsible for duty and duty admin charges by the import carrier.

2 hours ago, Albaby said:

I use a company called Sa-Buy Express. The inspect the parcel and charge by weight which differs by classification, ie wine and clothes are charged differently.

Thai Customs import duty/VAT is calculated on the CIF value and the category, not the weight.

2 hours ago, PeterA said:

Glasses are two years old. No receipts.

The age of imported items is irrelevant, as are receipts.  If dutiable items are imported into Thailand, duty and VAT is payable on the CIF value as determined here.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

Nope. If you send thing normal post and it is dutiable you pay the correct duty applied by Thai Customs - I don't think I have been charged more than 30%, most things 15%. With couriers, especially rhymes with Hell, you pay way more.

"With couriers, especially rhymes with Hell, you pay way more".

Nope, that is incorrect.  Duty applied by couriers carries the same rate as items imported by post and laid down by Thai Customs Dept. 

Couriers that collect the duty on behalf of the Customs Dept. are also permitted to add on their disbursement charge for collecting the duty and paying it to Customs.

If the duty seems to be incorrect a re-assessment can be requested, then it is up to Customs to decide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mokwit said:

if Thai Customs, who are the judge in the case, find you are wrong to claim i.e. thye duty was correctly applied they charge you 5x what they originally charged

Complete nonsense, that is not what happens with correctly declared/valued items.

Edited by Liverpool Lou
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Complete nonsense, that is not what happens with correctly declared/valued items.

The 5x may have been changed because it was so unfair - I pointed out that might be dated.

You are the person who was telling everyone how easy it was to reclaim incorrectly assessed  duty - you then admitted you had never done it. Told us all you just 'phoned the hotline, explained how it was wrong and they sent you a cheque if I remember rightly. That doesn't sound like how things work in Thailand.

So please tell us how you go about dealing with an incorrect assessment (I remember now I was charged 100% by Thai Customs, but that is unusual). there is a normal rate  often 15-30% but the schedule for each category allows for up to 60 or even 100%.

Edited by mokwit
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

"With couriers, especially rhymes with Hell, you pay way more".

Nope, that is incorrect.  Duty applied by couriers carries the same rate as items imported by post and laid down by Thai Customs Dept. 

Couriers that collect the duty on behalf of the Customs Dept. are also permitted to add on their disbursement charge for collecting the duty and paying it to Customs.

If the duty seems to be incorrect a re-assessment can be requested, then it is up to Customs to decide.

The duty on the paperwork to customs may be the correct duty but you pay way more with a courier as people on this board regularly attest. It is a profit centre for them. It seems you have never imported anything via courier - I first got stung for 100% duty by them in 1995. With Thai customs, apart from one 100% charge it has never been more than 15-30%.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, mokwit said:

The duty on the paperwork to customs may be the correct duty but you pay way more with a courier as people on this board regularly attest. It is a profit centre for them. It seems you have never imported anything via courier

Nonsense, if the duty seems to be too high on items imported by courier or post, it can be appealed and the Customs Dept will re-assess it.  I have imported many items and have also had a re-assessment done on an item that came in via Thailand Post.

• Like 1