What's so good about Cambodia

I was just on khmer440, the expat forum in cambodia.

a westerner just died mysteriously, which probably happens often.

seems like corruption might be off the charts there. 

here is the guy's mother posting on the forum, claiming he was murdered. 

Clean up your filthy country, improve living standards and stop the system of bribes that runs rampant.

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

More like $30 women and $250 rooms ...... when I was there in 2020.

But plenty of places with 50c beers and $1 cocktails.

Here's one of me by the pool at Garden Village Guesthouse and Pool bar SR.

P_20190116_120704.jpg

C'mon recycle the pics.

1 hour ago, save the frogs said:

I was just on khmer440, the expat forum in cambodia.

a westerner just died mysteriously, which probably happens often.

seems like corruption might be off the charts there. 

here is the guy's mother posting on the forum, claiming he was murdered. 

Clean up your filthy country, improve living standards and stop the system of bribes that runs rampant.

I knew a bar manager from Soi Cowboy who moved to Cambodia and was killed over there.

He had powerful enemies in Thailand.

I have no idea if his death over there was related to his Thai enemies or new Cambodian enemies.

Fact is, that is both countries it is a very bad idea to cheat the wrong people or borrow money from loan sharks and don't pay it back, or do shady business and don't pay the people who want a part of the cake.

Most of us are not involved in such business. And I guess that people who are involved in shady business don't tell their mum about it.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I knew a bar manager from Soi Cowboy who moved to Cambodia and was killed over there.

He had powerful enemies in Thailand.

I have no idea if his death over there was related to his Thai enemies or new Cambodian enemies.

Fact is, that is both countries it is a very bad idea to cheat the wrong people or borrow money from loan sharks and don't pay it back, or do shady business and don't pay the people who want a part of the cake.

Most of us are not involved in such business. And I guess that people who are involved in shady business don't tell their mum about it.

Talking about loan sharks there used to be a big muscle Aussie Kiwi guy in Pattaya who I haven't seen in awhile 

6 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

Talking about loan sharks there used to be a big muscle Aussie Kiwi guy in Pattaya who I haven't seen in awhile 

I am sure lots of things happen and it is deliberately not reported anywhere. It could upset those tourists if they see that in the news and we don't want that. 

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

good point. you're right. most of this stuff is related to shady business deals. 

keep it clean and cambodia should be fine. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

I can only comment on Siem Reap where I have lived for the past 3 years, after leaving Thailand where I lived for 20 years.

My main reason for leaving Thailand was the hassle free system to get a one year retirement visa (if you are 55 or older). No "money in the bank" scam, no bureaucratic bank/administrative paperwork, no bank account and no 90 day reports. During the pandemic, Siem Reap underwent a massive infrastructure improvement project and now we have new roads, traffic lights, pedestrian crossings, dedicated cycle lanes, safe pavements, footpaths, riverside walks and revitalised parks. (including the Angkor Wat complex with restoration work).  Pub Street is in full swing with many tourists as I noticed this evening. Many of the bars and restaurants have been rebuilt or refurbished. Being 79 years old, nightlife is no longer an issue for me. Alcoholic drinks (beers, spirits, wines and ciders) are infinitely cheaper than in Thailand. A glass of one of the draught Cambodian beers can be 50 cents (18 baht). I can buy a 1 litre bottle of Gordons Gin for 12$ (440 baht). Being a diabetic, the availability of low sugar/sugar free products is so much better than in Thailand, with many imported from the UK. Overall I find it much cheaper to live here than in Thailand. On the down side are medical facilities should you need hospitalisation for major treatment. There are many private medical and dental clinics in Siem Reap offering basic treatment but should you need major surgery etc. this will be very expensive. In fact many monied Khmer patients go to Bangkok or, like my landlord and his family, across the border to the Thai Government Hospital in Ubon Ratchathani as private patients. I do not regret my move and it was one of the better decisions in my life.

I take it you have a partner who looks after you ?

Was meeting friends easy there?

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

No partner, I have always taken care of myself. My Khmer landlord and his family kindly assist me if needed.

Yes, I have several Khmer friends who I met whilst on holiday trips from Khon Kaen with Air Asia. They helped to arrange and organise accomodation etc. for my arrival from Thailand. IMO the Khmer folk are much friendlier than the Thais.

Your story is what one YouTube channel is looking for..."vagabond awake"  is looking to interview single older male expats , your life story would be very interesting, I think they even pay you for it 

36 minutes ago, Burma Bill said:

No partner, I have always taken care of myself. My Khmer landlord and his family kindly assist me if needed.

Yes, I have several Khmer friends who I met whilst on holiday trips from Khon Kaen with Air Asia. They helped to arrange and organise accomodation etc. for my arrival from Thailand. IMO the Khmer folk are much friendlier than the Thais.

May I ask if you live in a city or province area?

What about expat medical insurance in Cambodia?

What's your daily routine at 79?

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

On 8/20/2023 at 11:23 AM, georgegeorgia said:

May I ask if you live in a city or province area?

What about expat medical insurance in Cambodia?

What's your daily routine at 79?

I live in a suburb (Sangat) of Siem Reap City.

Expat medical insurance is available, in fact as I type, an advert for such insurance flashes across my computer screen offering "up to 40% off". I cannot get medical insurance because I am an insulin dependent Diabetic with blood pressure problems. From experience, after having made enquiries, anyone over 65 wanting insurance of any kind could have difficulty in Cambodia. 

My daily routine would be very boring to most people. Domestic chores, do all of my own cooking, into town by tuk-tuk for the supermarket, pharmacy, bank, laundry and other shops. Most days I stay at home and work at my computer. Evenings are spent watching videos on You Tube. Now and again I treat myself to dinner at my favourite restaurant. I also take a ride to Angkor Wat and the other temples as I get a free annual pass to the Archaeological Park. Any foreigner who has resided in Cambodia continually for 2 years is entitled to one which is renewable each year.  Ocassionally I join my landlord on the veranda for Gin & Tonic "sundowners".

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1