University student falls for double scam, losing 350,000 baht

webfact

8 minutes ago, circa02 said:

Sounds like Binance. Loads of clowns swear by this company with its registered offices as a bleak garage on a run down industrial state.

There's a saying among con artists, you can't cheat an honest man.

If people did not have greed as a driver, scammers would find life a lot more difficult.

• Like 1

When I was going to university all those moons ago, I didn't have 10k for gambling and I most certainly didn't have 350k for "police". So, either I was incredibly poor by Thai standards, or this student isn't your average Thai Student but one from a more affluent background. If that is infact the case, then it's probably just his monthly pocket money that he has lost, so no big deal. 

• Sad 1

5 hours ago, nahkit said:

So according to the linked story, he lost 10,000 baht and then spent another 350,000 baht trying to get it back. Was he studying economics?

Maybe the fake cops needed access to his bank account, in order to get his lost money back to.

• Thumbs Up 2

15 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Please.....I am not the one mocking this guy's misfortune

seems weird that he originally got scammed for 10,000 ....   but it says he ended up being taken for 350,000, I am finding the story hard to believe to be honest.  How does one go from losing 10,000 to losing 350,000  ??

14 hours ago, FruitPudding said:

I get that the internet can bring out the worst out in people- myself included - but it is beyond my comprehension how so many posters so far in this thread are mocking this person's misfortune for their own gratification.

Absolutely vile and sickening talk, guys. You really ought to stand in the corner and have a word with yourselves.

7wb6bo.jpg

22 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Betting website. Why would anyone gamble with an organization which might be based anywhere on the planet?

A fool and his money are soon parted.

Agree.     See, no emojis!

12 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, this kind of scam seems to be very common now, and, despite huge coverage in the media, people still fall for it.

Because both parties want to get rich quick.

12 hours ago, steven100 said:

seems weird that he originally got scammed for 10,000 ....   but it says he ended up being taken for 350,000, I am finding the story hard to believe to be honest.  How does one go from losing 10,000 to losing 350,000  ??

He must have had 360k in order to lose it. Student?

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

There is a whole subculture in this world, who absolutely refuse to work for a living, and instead like to prey on those who are vulnerable, naive, dumb, and easy victims. It is our responsibility to be careful, prudent, willing to do some vetting, some research, some due diligence, anytime we part with cash. Especially online. Dealing with Ebay, Lazada, Amazon is one thing. You have recourse. But, dealing with Facebook vendors, Instagram, Youtube, dating sites, or any other social media, the scammers outweigh the real deals. People get taken every day. I get junk emails offering me at least $100 million a month.

These people are parasites, they barely deserve the oxygen they consume, and we must do everything in our power to deny the online worms. Especially cops and fake cops! 

Internet became already a scam many years ago and it is the task of the governments and the Internet access providers to protect people for scammers.
Making the Internet safer would cost nothing to the Governments and Internet access providers, but for an unknown reason they don't want to take their responsability.
People do stupid things every day.
But that's no reason to take advantage of them and steal from them.
The only good thing that comes out of this is that people are becoming wiser and big IT companies are losing money now.

24 minutes ago, Confuscious said:

Internet became already a scam many years ago and it is the task of the governments and the Internet access providers to protect people for scammers.
Making the Internet safer would cost nothing to the Governments and Internet access providers, but for an unknown reason they don't want to take their responsability.
People do stupid things every day.
But that's no reason to take advantage of them and steal from them.
The only good thing that comes out of this is that people are becoming wiser and big IT companies are losing money now.

You state this with the presumption that governments possess nobility and righteous intent. It is safe to say very few do, these days.

Consumer protection seems to be lower and lower on their list of importance. It is almost as if government has either made the decision to protect corporations over consumers, or governments are simply owned and controlled by them. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1