Thailand just chose a prime minister. He’s not the one people voted for

webfact

Surly this has to be a recipe for division and strife. The return of you know who has to signal this is a PT ploy with the prospect of the government effectivly being controlled from a prison hospital block. I thank Buddha they didn't choose Prawit but this is no conclusion made by an unelected senate. It should be clear before an election that all party leaders have been vetted and are eligable for the office of PM.

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, Ironman1958 said:

A constitutional referendum was held in Thailand on 7 August 2016.

The charter offered only semi-democracy and was seen to tighten military rule in Thailand.

However, it was approved by 61% of voters with a 59% turnout.

“More of the same” is insured now.

This is what happens when you don’t pay attention

But no real  election campaign under military rule

And a senate nominated byt the army. Is it democracy ?

7 hours ago, retarius said:

A man with some sense.....plain Bob Smith, looks like Steptoe but has a brain on him. 

Assuming that you're talking about the new PM...? What makes you think he has a decently functioning brain? He's a puppet. All about ฿฿฿. If you think he might have brains because he has a master's degree... even his MBA (has got to be the simplest and nearly meaningless master's, these days often earned in less than a year) is essentially a bought degree from an institution that a guy with brains would have felt ashamed to attend, more expensive than many of the top ranked MBA programs in the world, but a low-ranking nothing place, producing the likes of this guy. The rest of his adult life... connections.... that takes no brains at all. Although, I suppose that doesn't preclude the possibility that he has a decent head on him in other ways like street smarts/savvy. But to me, a guy who is savvy and plays the system, like he appears to have done his whole life, is blatantly showing his internal corruption. No integrity.

Ahhhhh.....The people have spoken and they have been heard....."Now go back to your daily lives and let us take care of Thailand for you as we know what's best."  "Nothing to see here, move along." ~ New Ruling Class of the Empire  

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Yorkshire Tea said:

11 party coalition!  When's the next election ????

Soon I hope,

Thailand boasts democracy, then how does a party that won the majority of the vote in the election get side-lined, and an 11 party coalition with a PM no-one wants elected?

• Like 1

The people asked that the military be run out of town. The most important part of this equation was only 42 seats for Prawit and 37 for Cha Cha. It was a huge repudiation for the status quo. The people said no, I don't think so, you guys are dinosaurs, we don't want you, we don't like you, you did a poor job, and now you need to disappear off the face of the earth. 

Yet, they remain, due to corruption, and the sellout of Peau Thai. This is an absolute travesty for the nation. A huge setback. They picked a PM with no experience, just like with Prayuth. A bottom of the barrel selection, yet again. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Taboo2 said:

As a guest in your country and happy to be here, I wish you much success over the years to come.  I am from a sh*****le country called America and we are nowhere near you when it comes to protection of your borders, hard work, respect for elders and police offers who are experts are de-escalation and avoiding killing kids and adults for no reason.

I agree with your sentiments. America is going downhill, fast. I would not want to be a person of color there now. Dealing with law enforcement alone, would be miserable. For me, it is no big deal, as I don't seem to fit their profile. But, in general life there is declining on so many levels. 

However, I would sure love to see Thailand moving forward, for a change. I know that is what the majority of the people want. The army was the last thing they wanted, and any respect they may have had in the past, is gone, baby gone. It appears that reform was the last thing in the world the dinosaurs were willing to tolerate. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, DLock said:

The party that won...is now the opposition to the party that was "elected".

Regardless of who is pulling the strings, their strategic brilliance cannot be denied.

Masterful.

A coalition of the losers. designed to push the winners into the corner. A PM brought in from outside like a puppet ....

13 hours ago, SABloke said:

Strange that you seem to conveniently ignore the fact that when 62% of the voters' representatives voted for Pita, their choice was not allowed to be the choice. 

Fair point, but that was from a coalition of parties who saw their convenience in being allied AFTER the election. The headline is wrong, people do not get to vote for PM in Thailand. As for "not allowed", one could say that it was not allowed by Pita himself.

14 hours ago, NemoH said:

Strange to find so many comments from people who lack understanding of parliament system.. the heading is misleading too.

I am neutral on who becomes PM. 

MF party only won 30% of the vote so how is it that the remaining 70% cannot choose their candidate for PM? So how is their choice not something the Thai people had voted for ?

You have been to Thai school for Maths ? Teacher says sky is black, class repeat !