Booking on Agoda, pay later?

proton

1 minute ago, bignok said:

False. The hotel in Thailand gets baht. Agoda charges you in AUD, pays them baht. They charge 4 to 5% to do this. Otherwise Agoda lose money via currency spread.

I can only give you the facts. I can't make you use common sense to understand it.

There is no such thing as 1 exchange rate. There is buy and sell rates. Agoda HAS TO CHARGE A FEE to cover the spread, otherwise they lose.

Think about it.

That’s all good so I tested your theory in my example and it was not borne out. If you went deep there may be a small difference but nowhere near 5 per cent based on my experience. As an Australian a discount would be offset by my bank charging in THB. Bankwest has a good card with no fee but there is a tiny difference same as Agoda. If you pick a hotel and look at the price in AUD and THB and show me a 5 per cent difference based on todays rates I will concur. But that’s not what I found. 

Just now, Fat is a type of crazy said:

That’s all good so I tested your theory in my example and it was not borne out. If you went deep there may be a small difference but nowhere near 5 per cent based on my experience. As an Australian a discount would be offset by my bank charging in THB. Bankwest has a good card with no fee but there is a tiny difference same as Agoda. If you pick a hotel and look at the price in AUD and THB and show me a 5 per cent difference based on todays rates I will concur. But that’s not what I found. 

You won't know unless you pay in baht and compare with $quote.

Banks use mastercard or visa rate.

I saved $2.50 on a $67 booking the other day.  Times 100x is $250. A significant savings. Cost of 10 nights in a room.

On a $300 booking the saving will be $12 to $15.

It has ALWAYS been 4 to 5% cheaper in baht based on 20 bookings. It has never been cheaper to pay in $.

Ok so $2.50 isnt much but do it many times it adds up.

If you think Agoda want to lose 4 to 5% on conversions by not charging a fee so be it. Just common sense to charge a fee.

1 minute ago, bignok said:

You won't know unless you pay in baht and compare with $quote.

Banks use mastercard or visa rate.

I saved $2.50 on a $67 booking the other day.  Times 100x is $250. A significant savings. Cost of 10 nights in a room.

On a $300 booking the saving will be $12 to $15.

It has ALWAYS been 4 to 5% cheaper in baht based on 20 bookings. It has never been cheaper to pay in $.

Ok so $2.50 isnt much but do it many times it adds up.

If you think Agoda want to lose 4 to 5% on conversions by not charging a fee so be it. Just common sense to charge a fee.

You can update the currency at the top of the screen and compare. I note too that they have different deals and promotions depending where you are which can give a different price e.g I noted above that price from Australian site relatively cheaper than US site even though they ultimately want payment in USD. 
But we can look at the hotel you booked and see the difference or not. 

18 hours ago, Fat is a type of crazy said:

You can update the currency at the top of the screen and compare. I note too that they have different deals and promotions depending where you are which can give a different price e.g I noted above that price from Australian site relatively cheaper than US site even though they ultimately want payment in USD. 
But we can look at the hotel you booked and see the difference or not. 

I just noticed a trick. Originally the baht price is cheaper. But sometimes they discount the $ amount by 5% but the baht amount stays the same. So dollar payment can be cheaper. I saw this hotel go from $29.50 to $28 while the baht price was unchanged. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1