Are you comfortable with being treated like a walking ATM?

bob smith

4 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Bob, your insights have made me realize an ethical dilemma that I feel that only you can help me parse.

My pot delivery guy liked a computer wireless speaker that I had 2 of. I traded that speaker for a thumb-sized piece of Afghan hash.

Net/net, I took like a 500 baht value-"loss" on the trade.

On the other hand, owning a piece of hash that big was a boyhood dream come true.

Does he owe me a couple of pre-rolled's?

tell him to bring you a grilled cheese and call it even ????

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

How does this make you feel at a deep level?

are you comfortable with it?

I don't care. I know that Thais only care about money. Many Thais cannot figure out whether I'm rich or poor. Even my ex-girlfriend never figured out how much money I had. People who treat me as an ATM won't enjoy my company for long.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

Just now, Sticky Rice Balls said:

tell him to bring you a grilled cheese and call it even ????

I actually make him a grilled cheese sandwich when he comes over. He's an Edam-man.

Always a great, slightly lost afternoon -swapping between Mor Lam, Roots Reggae, and EDM on Youtube.

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Oh, tell us about your dealings wiv the hi-so's to back up your post, or did some bloke on a bar stool tell you...................????

I don't have any personal bad experience with HiSos, but I remember a friend who was manager of a company which was owned by a HiSo family.

Officially the HiSo son run the company, not that he cared much.

And because he was the son, and not the head of the family, he had lots of things and could ask his super rich HiSo father for lots of things, but not everything.

So one day the HiSo son ask my friend, who just got his salary, if he could borrow 500k THB over the weekend. Like: You know I am super rich, just cash flow, no problem, you will get your money back on Monday.

My friend gave him the money and he expected to get it back on Monday. And then? He didn't get it back on Monday or anytime soon. Because what could my friend do? Go to the police and complain about the HiSo? Or go to the HiSo father who was head of the family and complain about his son?

No good options.

With HiSos there are possible other problems compared to Somchai. The problem is that those are powerful people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, bob smith said:

we all know that thais only give us the time of day if we are paying.

They couldnt care less about us if we arent.

No money, no honey i believe is the popular phrase.

How does this make you feel at a deep level?

are you comfortable with it?

Do thais also treat each other the same way?

do friendships here revolve solely on materialism? 

I know in the west friends are mostly made in our youth, when we all had nothing and came up together.

Here it seems it doesnt work that way.

You never see hi so mixing with lo so etc

seems everything is based on how much money you have in the bank.

Which is strange because there are way more poor people in Thailand than there are rich.

I guess maybe you gotta get out to the villages to meet the genuine Thais, right?

I stopped paying for thai people a long time ago.

Because whenever I did I never got any extra respect or whatever.

it was just like it was expected cos i was a foreigner.

Now I mostly get the Thais to foot the bill and use the old adage 'well im a guest here so...' 

and do you know what, it works surprisingly well! ???? 

I find it interesting that most criticize your post for nothing,  but are nevertheless eager to comment and thus make it amongst the current popular posts. ????

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't have any personal bad experience with HiSos, but I remember a friend who was manager of a company which was owned by a HiSo family.

Officially the HiSo son run the company, not that he cared much.

And because he was the son, and not the head of the family, he had lots of things and could ask his super rich HiSo father for lots of things, but not everything.

So one day the HiSo son ask my friend, who just got his salary, if he could borrow 500k THB over the weekend. Like: You know I am super rich, just cash flow, no problem, you will get your money back on Monday.

My friend gave him the money and he expected to get it back on Monday. And then? He didn't get it back on Monday or anytime soon. Because what could my friend do? Go to the police and complain about the HiSo? Or go to the HiSo father who was head of the family and complain about his son?

No good options.

With HiSos there are possible other problems compared to Somchai. The problem is that those are powerful people. 

Nothing to talk about. 

A nice fairy tale. 

Duh

Edited by ravip

5 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

I actually make him a grilled cheese sandwich when he comes over. He's an Edam-man.

Always a great, slightly lost afternoon -swapping between Mor Lam, Roots Reggae, and EDM on Youtube.

just be careful of the oil spray from the mini deep fryer making falafels.....try the balcony ????

ever notice how most of the content here is made to keep you on the site hate posting?

reminds me when i use TF app and as soon as i close it a random "interest" suddenly appears

*this is how websites make profit--keep you on them*    food for thought gents..carry on

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

ever notice how most of the content here is made to keep you on the site hate posting?

reminds me when i use TF app and as soon as i close it a random "interest" suddenly appears

*this is how websites make profit--keep you on them*    food for thought gents..carry on

Sites do survive via "clicks", especially commercial ones....????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

I often feel its the sense of right and wrong in some that is a problem. The feeling that its okay and expected rather than an act of kindness and support that will be removed if abused or gratitude is not shown.

They believe its all okay and wont listen to why or even attempt to understand why it bothers you, no matter how many times its explained.

The boy that cried wolf is also something that should be taught here, the lying to get money even if small lie some seem to think is perfectly okay and then the lies bother you more than the money and you stop, they get a real problem and then go mental that you did not help and that your a very bad person.

It is what it is though, I've come to realise its wasted effort to get some to understand and better to cut them out of your life.

Sad thing is I've also started seeing some of this attitude in my local away from center bar, what was a quiet family sports type bar, the hustle with drinks for new visitors, then they tell me they were good customers but wonder why they didn't come back, I try and explain and 5 mins later its a new customer getting the treatment for drinks.

The thinking and sense of right and wrong are so different. Now that's not representative of general thainess far from it but within some drinking and beer circles I see it a lot.  

• Thumbs Up 1

52 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Answer, "Sorry I'm broke, if I had it I'd lend it to you".

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

Answer, "Sorry I'm broke, if I had it I'd lend it to you".

That's why I mentioned he just received his salary. I don't know exactly how much he made, but for sure several hundred thousand THB per month. 

He gave the money to the guy who just paid his salary, and he expected to get in back within a week.

In hindsight he should have done it.

This was just an example about what could (did) happen with a HiSo. My friend didn't expect something like that from a guy from a super-rich family. 

11 hours ago, bob smith said:

my sentiments exactly!

They should feel grateful that i am willing to spend my time here.

When I’m being served I don’t care much as long as I don’t hear any complaints ????????‍♂️.

Edited by JimTripper

4 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:
5 hours ago, transam said:

Oh, tell us about your dealings wiv the hi-so's to back up your post, or did some bloke on a bar stool tell you...................????

Welcome to my “ignore list”.

Its quite amusing that you post an outreagouesly exaggerated and ridiculous comment... and then announce you've put someone on an 'ignore list' as if its some sort of win ??

All you've really announced is that you are unable to handle a perfectly understandable response and lack the emotional tools to simply ignore something... as in, ignore it without needing to have the last word about ignoring someone !!!.... 

Quality stuff !!... :guitar:

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Perhaps change your attitude, rather than trying to justify your bizarre views by seeking out similarly depressing people.

Does he speak passa Thai, do you think? 

He seems to be suffering a devastating case of alienation. 

Maybe his topics are born out of culture shock and desperation. 

18 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

The REAL Thailand is worse than the lowlifes in Thai society. HISO Thais are horrible people and would have you killed if they could.

It's just the society you mix with. Try  to change it,  if possible. 

The normal Thai people are extremely polite,  tolerant respectful and honest. 

Of course... there are the exceptions.

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Does he speak passa Thai, do you think? 

He seems to be suffering a devastating case of alienation. 

Maybe his topics are born out of culture shock and desperation. 

I doubt it but learning Thai is a great way to get out and practise with people, making you feel a part of the community, rather than apart from the community.

How many expat Thai language forums/groups are there? 

18 hours ago, Felton Jarvis said:

The REAL Thailand is worse than the lowlifes in Thai society. HISO Thais are horrible people and would have you killed if they could.

The term, 'Hiso' is commonly misused by farang. 

Most farang will never have any interaction with real Hisos, the ones that were educated abroad mostly. I often hear things like 'she is a Hiso and works....'. Hisos here don't have to work. Think of the British Aristocracy to get an understanding of Thai HiSo. 

What do you mean 'lowlifes'?

Many Thais feel proud to be Loso, like the working class in the UK. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

The term, 'Hiso' is commonly misused by farang. 

Most farang will never have any interaction with real Hisos, the ones that were educated abroad mostly. I often hear things like 'she is a Hiso and works....'. Hisos here don't have to work. Think of the British Aristocracy to get an understanding of Thai HiSo. 

What do you mean 'lowlifes'?

Many Thais feel proud to be Loso, like the working class in the UK. 

Quite agree with you. Many mix-up hiso with rich people. 

The REAL hiso's are more than that, and would not be attracted like flies to foreigners. 

This holds true in any country.