Thai passengers ejected from flight over luggage dispute, recounts top influencer

webfact

10 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The best response that I have heard of from a member of a cabin crew is 'Our job is to save your ass. Not kiss it.'

On a more serious note, most passengers seem to assume that it is the crew's job is to serve them.

It's not.

They are there for passenger's safety. The rest is just a bonus.

you obviously fly in cattle class all the time. 

I fly in business first class and totally disagree with your comment for obvious reasons. 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

16 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My thoughts too. If you can't lift it up, it is too heavy.. Aged passengers and pregnant women excluded. I used to hate traveling in the USA with all the road warriors there!

"Road Warriors"? Please explain the term, and while you're at it explain what Americans have to do with this article?

Edited by Lee4Life
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 hours ago, Tropicalevo said:

The best response that I have heard of from a member of a cabin crew is 'Our job is to save your ass. Not kiss it.'

On a more serious note, most passengers seem to assume that it is the crew's job is to serve them.

It's not.

I am a pilot and have been flying since the early 70's so I do know a little about rules and responsibilities of the crewmembers and you are right they are there for the passenger's safety but they are also there to assist the passengers getting on and off the plane as well as if there is a beverage and/or food service,  or assistance passengers to get settled in; the crew is there to assist and serve. 

I think possibly you are buying into the airline's new business model scheme. Which is:  Everybody, shut your mouth, get aboard, sit down as quickly as possible, this cattle car is all about our profit's bottomline not for your comfort or your pleasure; you're lucky we let you fly with us. 

Airlines forget if it wasn't for the paying public they would not have an airline.   As for the that cabin crew member you mentioned that made the smarta$$ remark, "Our job is to save your ass. Not kiss it.", needs to be fired or at the very least, retrained and disciplined. 

I don't know what really happened on this flight to cause such an issue, as the story here did not elaborate enough or give both sides of the story, but some folks do need a helping hand with the overhead luggage and THAT is the responsibility of the crew members to assist the passenger.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

13 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

Thanks for cutting some slack for my 76 years. Just do not have the strength I once had. Some here seem to think I should just stay home.

Simply put, the world of travel is not well designed for older, frailer people. Disabilities seem to get some substantial help.... but some of the walks and queuing at the gate would be too much nowadays. 

Edited by jacko45k

5 hours ago, TimeMachine said:

Wether on a plane, train,  or hot air balloon,  I stay well clear of all humans. Everyone looking for trouble.  Always have done.  Always will do. 

Nice to see you have your own private jet, your majesty. ????

20 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

More to this I think…. 
it’s likely more about attitude than the actual baggage.

- Person asks for assistance & gets a ‘not my job’ response. 

if either approached the situation with ‘attitude’ it’s going to trigger the other. 

TG crew can be amazing, they can also be outrageously snooty & lazy. 

On a 6 hr flight (with my Son who was 5 at the time), I wanted a beer (had 1 beer with the meal before that), the cabin crew had not passed through the cabin for 30mins, I’d normally get up & ask, but didn’t want to leave my son alone.

I rang the call button, FA came & in an extremely snotty manner told me I have to go & get the beer myself !!!

I was furious.

Finnair also have the disappearing air crew syndrome but in their case the price for a G & T was beyond my pensioner's purse AND there was no room anywhere on the plane for my carry-on legit luggage leaving me with severe cramp on a 12 hour flight because I was forced to place it on the floor between my legs.

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Simply put, the world of travel is not well designed for older, frailer people. Disabilities seem to get some substantial help.... but some of the walks and queuing at the gate would be too much nowadays. 

Flying certainly has lost its luster from earlier times when I looked forward to the travel, the lounges during layovers. The short trip to Bangkok from Chiang my recently was tolerable as it was brief. On our Our monthlong trip to the states in Spring was the only way to make the trip. Within Thailand, I prefer driving.

5 hours ago, Seth1a2a said:

Or the flight attendant could have been exactly the same size and weight of the person making the request....

Airlines have minimum & maximum physical requirement for cabin-crew - there is a minimum heigh, so the F.A. was certainly not too short to reach the overhead bins.

But that wasn't the issue or the real trigger point (see below).

or was previously injured ...

or  was frustrated and fatigued from having helped other passengers up to that point.    We just don't know enough to take this case to a jury and convict her .

Also evident is the lack of any previous news articles specifically about this airlines' practices in general.

Not fit for duty then...  (but again, thats not the issue).

Not in the correct mental space for working in a service based industry (perhaps this was a contributory factor - tired crew ?).

One thing we do know is that mob rule took a kick in the balls on this flight. 

Agreed... and any unruly passenger needs to get kicked off a flight - this group we're certainly deserving of this reaction from the airline - I'd hope they receive a travel ban too. 

And for the record, the eyewitness "influencer"  sided with  the airlines' handling of the issue in an update to the original article quoted below .....

Did the eye witness see the buildup or overhear the comments?

The 'influence' clearly saw the aftermath, I'm wondering exactly how much of the buildup was witnessed?

According to information on Thai social media sites where this issue is also being discussed and there has been contribution from both passenger's and 'influencer'.

Apparent events: 

- The group were loud while boarding (16 pax - this is perhaps not uncommon for large groups to be noisier but may have irritated the cabin-crew).

- The female passenger (petite at 43kgs) walked down the aisle followed directly by a male flight attendant who was then followed by one of the passengers male friends (and more behind him).

- The female passenger (43kgs) asked the F.A. if he could help her with the luggage (as he was directly behind her), the F.A. said he couldn't. 

- The Male passenger (friend) helped put the 7kg carryon in the overhead bin. 

- It was while the male passenger was putting his friends baggage in the overhead bin another (2nd) flight attendant (female) approached and told the passengers (female and male helping her) that if she [the female passenger] can't put her bag in the overhead bin herself, she should have checked it in (apparently in a condescending tone).

- This is apparently when the male passenger responded (with bad language) to the female passenger about how terrible the service was (this was loud enough for the F.A. to hear).

- Verbal exchanges ensued which escalated with the passengers becoming more and more angry until one of them was ejected from the flight (there is a sound recording of this),  the other 15 from the group opted to deplane and were highly vocal and verbally abusive while doing so. 

Thus it appears that:

- The 1st F.A. said he couldn't help with the baggage (no problems at this point).

- A male friend helped with baggage (no problems at this point).

- A 2nd flight attendant got involved and passed comment and triggering an argument.

The whole situation could have been avoided if:

- The 2nd F.A. did make an unnecessary and triggering comment (there was no need for her to get involved at this stage (apparently).

- The male passenger didn't verbally retaliate with an insult the cabin crew could (deliberately overhear.

This is what I piece together from the Thai forums which really have gone into the nuts and bolts of this issue - many supporting the airline and flight attendants because of the atrocious behavior of the group of 16, and others concentrating on the events which 'triggered' this incident. 

It seems the 'asking for assistance' part of the issue is somewhat of a red-herring, as neither passenger or 1st F.A. was upset at this point, the F.A. simply said he is unable to assist and another male passenger (friend) helped... it was only after this that further comments from another flight attendant triggered an impolite response from one of the passengers. 

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Airlines have minimum & maximum physical requirement for cabin-crew - there is a minimum heigh, so the F.A. was certainly not too short to reach the overhead bins.

But that wasn't the issue or the real trigger point (see below).

Not fit for duty then...  (but again, thats not the issue).

Not in the correct mental space for working in a service based industry (perhaps this was a contributory factor - tired crew ?).

Agreed... and any unruly passenger needs to get kicked off a flight - this group we're certainly deserving of this reaction from the airline - I'd hope they receive a travel ban too. 

Did the eye witness see the buildup or overhear the comments?

The 'influence' clearly saw the aftermath, I'm wondering exactly how much of the buildup was witnessed?

According to information on Thai social media sites where this issue is also being discussed and there has been contribution from both passenger's and 'influencer'.

Apparent events: 

- The group were loud while boarding (16 pax - this is perhaps not uncommon for large groups to be noisier but may have irritated the cabin-crew).

- The female passenger (petite at 43kgs) walked down the aisle followed directly by a male flight attendant who was then followed by one of the passengers male friends (and more behind him).

- The female passenger (43kgs) asked the F.A. if he could help her with the luggage (as he was directly behind her), the F.A. said he couldn't. 

- The Male passenger (friend) helped put the 7kg carryon in the overhead bin. 

- It was while the male passenger was putting his friends baggage in the overhead bin another (2nd) flight attendant (female) approached and told the passengers (female and male helping her) that if she [the female passenger] can't put her bag in the overhead bin herself, she should have checked it in (apparently in a condescending tone).

- This is apparently when the male passenger responded (with bad language) to the female passenger about how terrible the service was (this was loud enough for the F.A. to hear).

- Verbal exchanges ensued which escalated with the passengers becoming more and more angry until one of them was ejected from the flight (there is a sound recording of this),  the other 15 from the group opted to deplane and were highly vocal and verbally abusive while doing so. 

Thus it appears that:

- The 1st F.A. said he couldn't help with the baggage (no problems at this point).

- A male friend helped with baggage (no problems at this point).

- A 2nd flight attendant got involved and passed comment and triggering an argument.

The whole situation could have been avoided if:

- The 2nd F.A. did make an unnecessary and triggering comment (there was no need for her to get involved at this stage (apparently).

- The male passenger didn't verbally retaliate with an insult the cabin crew could (deliberately overhear.

This is what I piece together from the Thai forums which really have gone into the nuts and bolts of this issue - many supporting the airline and flight attendants because of the atrocious behavior of the group of 16, and others concentrating on the events which 'triggered' this incident. 

It seems the 'asking for assistance' part of the issue is somewhat of a red-herring, as neither passenger or 1st F.A. was upset at this point, the F.A. simply said he is unable to assist and another male passenger (friend) helped... it was only after this that further comments from another flight attendant triggered an impolite response from one of the passengers. 

Again, there is you putting the sequence together in an illogical manner. Think about it. If the member of the group was quietly putting the luggage away, the second crew member would have known nothing about it nor felt the need to intervene. It’s more likely they were still berating the first crew member and his colleague went to support him. There is no way they let it drop as there would not be have been any issue if it was just a matter of the group member putting the luggage up and everyone taking their seat. Female and male helping another female to put hand luggage in the overhead locker?? That sounds like more than just a second male quietly putting the luggage away. It’s far more likely that the luggage owner was still kicking off and at least three others joined in. Second FA would not have got involved at all if there wasn’t a commotion. Why would she? It’s just people putting their luggage away as normal…. Obviously that lot made a fuss from the very beginning and didn’t stop. Whereas you are trying to pretend that she asked once and didn’t engage at all afterwards when he refused. Of course you know that would be highly unlikely. 
You seem DESPERATE to find the crew at fault. It’s so obvious. Let it go man. You are making yourself look silly. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, NextG said:

Again, there is you putting the sequence together in an illogical manner.

I haven't put this together - this was put together by Thai's who have read the various comments from both the passenger and the influencer. 

Think about it. If the member of the group was quietly putting the luggage away, the second crew member would have known nothing about it nor felt the need to intervene.

This was not a problem and another male passenger (friend) who was initially behind the 1st (male) cabin-crew helped out - there was no issue, conflict or debate at this time apparently.

The other 'cabin-crew' was nearby, overheard the request and made the decision to pass comment to the female passenger as the male passenger was assisting.

(as per Thai social media anyway).

Why did the 2nd flight attendant feel the need to comment ?... I've no idea. But, it seems her comment was the trigger point.

Perhaps, as you mention the crew were already under verbal attack from the group and she felt obliged to defend her colleagues. 

If so, the discussed 'order' of events is not quite as it is described on Thai social media.

It’s more likely they were still berating the first crew member and his colleague went to support him. There is no way they let it drop as there would not be have been any issue if it was just a matter of the group member putting the luggage up and everyone taking their seat. Female and male helping another female to put hand luggage in the overhead locker?? That sounds like more than just a second male quietly putting the luggage away. It’s far more likely that the luggage owner was still kicking off and at least three others joined in.

Apparent (as per Thai social media - passenger and influencer) nothing kicked off until the 2nd flight attendant spoke with the female, telling her she should have checked her baggage. 

Second FA would not have got involved at all if there wasn’t a commotion. Why would she?

No idea... I suspect it was because the group were fairly loud upon boarding and she (2nd F.A.) took affront to these bogans 'who didn't know how to travel'.

I certainly feel like that sometimes when travelling... "I wish someone would teach these loud uncivilised pests how to travel".... 

So I can understand less than favourable treatment and a certain snotty attitude towards them. 

It’s just people putting their luggage away as normal…. Obviously that lot made a fuss from the very beginning and didn’t stop. Whereas you are trying to pretend that she asked once and didn’t engage at all afterwards when he refused. Of course you know that would be highly unlikely. 

Quite possibly...  she complained and the (passengers male friend) complained and then the 2nd F.A. stepped in... but that is not the order of events that have been reported on Thai social media.

You seem DESPERATE to find the crew at fault. It’s so obvious. Let it go man. You are making yourself look silly. 

I'm interested in the anatomy of how this got out of hand and wish to look at events through the eyes of balance, neither bias towards either party. 

- I'm certain the passengers behaved horrifically and they are ultimately fully responsible for events.

- I believe the flight attendant (2nd) could have allowed the situation to de-escalate by simply not getting involved or passing comment.

- It would appear (from comments on Thai social media) that the 2nd Flight Attendant responded to a verbal escalation triggering further fall out.

No desperation on my part, but an interest and curiosity which I have the time to tickle and discuss. 

I have been on the wrong end of a very snotty flight attendant, I de-escalated by not responding and instead choosing to make a complaint to the purser. The group could easily have behaved the same and simply ignored any response they considered unfavourable, so I'm wholly against the group for their part in their escalation and atrocious behavior. 

I am also highly sympathetic towards anyone who has to regularly deal with the public as they have to face all sorts, however, they cabin-crew are supposed to be trained professionals. I'm not as sure as others that these flight attendants (specifically the 2nd) was a beacon of professionalism, instead is seems she may well have actually triggered a conflict, not so much by the specific wording of what she said, but the condescending tone with which she said it. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Haha 1

On 8/26/2023 at 10:20 AM, Tropicalevo said:

It's not.

Save you from what? The ones in the US can barely fit down the aisle. Any real problem is handled by the pilot,

On 8/26/2023 at 10:20 AM, Tropicalevo said:

It's not.

Save you from what, seat belt unbuckled, cell phone on, smoking in the head?  Any real problem is handled by the pilot, airport security, or a few passengers onboard. The ones in the US can barely fit down the aisle. They are waitstaff with little other skills otherwise there would just be a couple air marshals on board. 

47 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I haven't put this together - this was put together by Thai's who have read the various comments from both the passenger and the influencer. 

This was not a problem and another male passenger (friend) who was initially behind the 1st (male) cabin-crew helped out - there was no issue, conflict or debate at this time apparently.

The other 'cabin-crew' was nearby, overheard the request and made the decision to pass comment to the female passenger as the male passenger was assisting.

(as per Thai social media anyway).

Why did the 2nd flight attendant feel the need to comment ?... I've no idea. But, it seems her comment was the trigger point.

Perhaps, as you mention the crew were already under verbal attack from the group and she felt obliged to defend her colleagues. 

If so, the discussed 'order' of events is not quite as it is described on Thai social media.

Apparent (as per Thai social media - passenger and influencer) nothing kicked off until the 2nd flight attendant spoke with the female, telling her she should have checked her baggage. 

No idea... I suspect it was because the group were fairly loud upon boarding and she (2nd F.A.) took affront to these bogans 'who didn't know how to travel'.

I certainly feel like that sometimes when travelling... "I wish someone would teach these loud uncivilised pests how to travel".... 

So I can understand less than favourable treatment and a certain snotty attitude towards them. 

Quite possibly...  she complained and the (passengers male friend) complained and then the 2nd F.A. stepped in... but that is not the order of events that have been reported on Thai social media.

I'm interested in the anatomy of how this got out of hand and wish to look at events through the eyes of balance, neither bias towards either party. 

- I'm certain the passengers behaved horrifically and they are ultimately fully responsible for events.

- I believe the flight attendant (2nd) could have allowed the situation to de-escalate by simply not getting involved or passing comment.

- It would appear (from comments on Thai social media) that the 2nd Flight Attendant responded to a verbal escalation triggering further fall out.

No desperation on my part, but an interest and curiosity which I have the time to tickle and discuss. 

I have been on the wrong end of a very snotty flight attendant, I de-escalated by not responding and instead choosing to make a complaint to the purser. The group could easily have behaved the same and simply ignored any response they considered unfavourable, so I'm wholly against the group for their part in their escalation and atrocious behavior. 

I am also highly sympathetic towards anyone who has to regularly deal with the public as they have to face all sorts, however, they cabin-crew are supposed to be trained professionals. I'm not as sure as others that these flight attendants (specifically the 2nd) was a beacon of professionalism, instead is seems she may well have actually triggered a conflict, not so much by the specific wording of what she said, but the condescending tone with which she said it. 

You didn’t expect anyone to read that, did you?

I won’t and I won’t change my mind based on you desperately trying to second guess someone who was actually there and gave their opinion. I respectfully suggest that you find yourself something more fruitful with which to utilise your time. 

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, NextG said:

You didn’t expect anyone to read that, did you?

I won’t and I won’t change my mind based on you desperately trying to second guess someone who was actually there and gave their opinion. I respectfully suggest that you find yourself something more fruitful with which to utilise your time. 

So why are you commenting if you are not interested in the discussion ???

What are you doing on this forum if you consider this not a 'fruitful use of your time' ???

I'm off to play football, not sure if thats fruitful enough for you - will you still be here on this forum ? (nothing wrong with that IMO - but you seem to consider it a waste of your time...   perhaps it is, nevertheless IMO an enjoyable 'waste of time'... time killer of whatever you wish to call it, just like watching a movie etc). 

28 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

So why are you commenting if you are not interested in the discussion ???

What are you doing on this forum if you consider this not a 'fruitful use of your time' ???

I'm off to play football, not sure if thats fruitful enough for you - will you still be here on this forum ? (nothing wrong with that IMO - but you seem to consider it a waste of your time...   perhaps it is, nevertheless IMO an enjoyable 'waste of time'... time killer of whatever you wish to call it, just like watching a movie etc). 

I read the first paragraph in this case. 
The answer is that I discussed it, came to a conclusion and then moved on. 
You however have continued to try to insist that it was somehow the fault of the crew. Since I made it clear that I thought your imaginings were literally just made up nonsense, flying in the face of actual witnesses, I decided that I didn’t want to be seen arguing with someone who appeared perhaps delusional. 

Do not answer a fool according to his folly, or you yourself will be just like him” Proverbs 26:4

I hope this answers your question fully. 

• Thanks 1

On 8/26/2023 at 6:25 AM, Jumbo1968 said:

I agree, I see people on flights attempt to take carry on baggage over the weight limit and size, don’t they ever read the what baggage allowances are or just pushing their luck.

Try doing it on an EasyJet ot Ryanair flight, Servisair / Emirates at Newcastle weigh your carry on baggage and on many occasions I have witnessed people being told it’s too heavy/large and they then are frantically trying to put it in their hold baggage.

I always get concerned when passengers are putting heavy bags in the overhead lockers, if they accidentally slip from their grasp they could do a passenger a serious injury.

When B.A. used to fly from Heathrow their carry on baggage limit was 25kg but the size of the bag limited, try lifting 25 kg into an overhead locker.

Why not place a weighing m/c near the baggage Xray system and bar anyone exceeding the limit?

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

For future reference , Vietjet does not necessarily always hire the tallest candidates for the job.

✈ [REQUIREMENTS]
• Female: minimum height 160cm (barefoot), BMI between 18.5 – 22  (Potentially less than 5' 3" )
• Male: minimum height 170cm (barefoot), BMI between 20 – 24        (Potentially less than 5' 7" )        
(1-2cm below standard can be considered if candidates got TOEIC from 600 or above)

Source https://careers.vietjetair.com/jobdetail/563

11 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

it was only after this that further comments from another flight attendant triggered an impolite response from one of the passengers. 

Assuming   that the FA was Vietnamese and not Thai.  You would have 2 different cultures communicating in a third language or a poor translation to begin with.

What might be considered as blunt or impolite in one culture might be considered as a form of enlightenment in another.  Vietnamese generally score higher than Thais on I.Q. tests. Plus, there are a lot of cultural eggshells and thin ice dilemmas in Thailand to be aware of :

Don't point your feet or raise your feet higher than someone's head, or simply putting your feet on a desk or chair are considered extremely rude in Thailand. ...

Don't touch someone's head. ...

Don't point. ...

Don't lose your cool. ...

Don't disrespect the king. ...

Don't throw things.

Don't step on money blowing away in the wind....

When are they not offended ?

Unless there's a boycott or lawsuit brewing behind this brouhaha, I'm going to consider it a win for the airline and move on.  i'll even look them up in the future if they fly to any of the destinations I travel to..

Travelling without  a plane full of Doug and Wendy whiners sounds like a less painful experience to have to pay for..... 

, Cheers

• Thumbs Up 2

On 8/26/2023 at 5:18 PM, herfiehandbag said:

Is that peculiar to the USA, or common throughout the industry?

If so, then for example, if you were Cabin Crew with Air Asia, and your shift was two return flights Bangkok to Chiang Mai, then you would only get paid for 5 out of 10 hours? 

I believe every airline negotiates unique deals with flight staff.  Asia being very labor unfriendly, I would guess that Air Asia and other discount airline staff don't get very lucrative contracts.  My friend worked for United in the US.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:14 PM, scorecard said:

Take a few TG flights, especially 10 -20 years ago and see how much help you don't get from cabin crew, especially if Thai and more especially if the passenger has Essan features. 

I have flown Thai hundreds of times and whereas their crew were generally pleasant, some of them are (were) the rudest I have encountered in the service industry anywhere.

• Sad 1

On 8/27/2023 at 3:13 PM, BadBouy said:

Save you from what? The ones in the US can barely fit down the aisle. Any real problem is handled by the pilot,

Save you from what, seat belt unbuckled, cell phone on, smoking in the head?  Any real problem is handled by the pilot, airport security, or a few passengers onboard. The ones in the US can barely fit down the aisle. They are waitstaff with little other skills otherwise there would just be a couple air marshals on board. 

You may have heard of an emergency evacuation ? Apart from service that is what the crew are there for, amongst other safety duties.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1