Strimmer- very light for bad back

carlyai

I have a Honda 4 stroke Strimmer (weed eater). 

Great machine but too heavy for me and my back.

I need something light (not heavy) for the yard.

Was thinking that a battery operated machine would be the lightest around.

Anyone experience with a battery powered machine, or a light weight 2 stroke and can recommend one.

Maybe even an electric one.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, carlyai said:

I have a Honda 4 stroke Strimmer (weed eater). 

Great machine but too heavy for me and my back.

I need something light (not heavy) for the yard.

Was thinking that a battery operated machine would be the lightest around.

Anyone experience with a battery powered machine, or a light weight 2 stroke and can recommend one.

Maybe even an electric one.

A lot depends on what and how much you need to cut and how often.

The big Honda will cut almost anything. The smaller and lighter kruang you use, means the less area and thickness you can cut.

I have the big Honda UMK 435 and a smaller (Chinese? Honda) on wheels which may be easier for you to use.

I am 79 with a bad back and osteoarthritis in both knees. Still use both but nowadays if I spend an hour cutting the grass and scrub, I can only manage about 30 minutes work and the rest of the time is taking a break every 5 to 10 minutes.

The advantages of the wheely one is that you can adjust the handles to your height and there is little stress on your back. The drawback is that the cutting area is less.

wheely whacker.jpg

• Thumbs Up 1

I gave up fighting with gas powered weed eaters on my postage stamp sized lot and went to plug-in electric.  Couldn't be happier with the performance.  And I never get blisters pulling the starter cord after it's sat for a month or 3. 

As long as you can reach your entire yard with the extension cord, I highly recommend the plug-in type.  I tried my brother's battery operated weed-eater and it doesn't have near the umph of my plug in model.  Probably okay though,  if you need more reach beyond a cord.

• Love It 1

Unless you specifically enjoy doing the gardening, labour here is crazy cheap. My gardener is here 3 times a week for 1-2 hours each time and charged 3000 baht per month (he set the price, not me). Brings his own petrol strimmer / mower etc.

Doesn't hurt my back or my wallet at all.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, impulse said:

I gave up fighting with gas powered weed eaters on my postage stamp sized lot and went to plug-in electric.  Couldn't be happier with the performance.  And I never get blisters pulling the starter cord after it's sat for a month or 3. 

As long as you can reach your entire yard with the extension cord, I highly recommend the plug-in type.  I tried my brother's battery operated weed-eater and it doesn't have near the umph of my plug in model.  Probably okay though,  if you need more reach beyond a cord.

Thanks. What brand/model do you recommend?

1 minute ago, Woof999 said:

Unless you specifically enjoy doing the gardening, labour here is crazy cheap. My gardener is here 3 times a week for 1-2 hours each time and charged 3000 baht per month (he set the price, not me). Brings his own petrol strimmer / mower etc.

We have a guy to help with heavier things and strimming the rice field. I just like to do the yard. :)

3 minutes ago, Woof999 said:

Thanks. Need to get under the trees etc, so wheeled version wouldn't do it. :)

1 hour ago, roo860 said:

https://www.homepro.co.th/m/p/243276

This is what I have, does the job. Lightweight. 

I have the same model for several years. Works well.

Had to replace the nylon strimmer string a few time as it wore out, but that's to be expected.

Same from Lazada:-

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/blackdecker-300-gl300-i355024498.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.16.2019534f72sUaD

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1