US English teacher arrested for sexual relation with 16 y/o student

webfact

1 hour ago, kingstonkid said:

The challenge he would have is that he was a teacher having a relationship with a student.  There is no other real crime.

You have no clue about American laws regarding this issue.  The Feds will be waiting for him.  In case you have not been paying attention, the USA has been on a mission to catch guys like this creep.  

• Confused 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

21 hours ago, thesetat2013 said:

Actually you are wrong. As an American citizen he is bound by the laws in the USA even if he is not in that country. He will find this out if he returns to the USA or perhaps he will be extradited back or have his visa for Thailand revoked and be forced to return. Either way he broke the laws and will be charged for it in the USA as well and added to their lists of pedophiles. 

If he's from Tennessee, all he has to do is tell the judge she was kin.

• Haha 2

Just now, NanLaew said:

State laws don't apply when you are travelling abroad. This is a federal crime and the minimum age limit is 18 years of age. It is all written in plain and simple language on US government site that has been posted quite a few times.

• Confused 1

Just now, Taboo2 said:

The American system is screwed up for minor crimes like shoplifting, but when you are messing with young girls, underage by US law, trust me, nothing is "screwed up" about what he will have to deal with.  The FEDs do not mess around.

Don't think I trust anyone............????

Jerry Lee Lewis

Elvis Presley

But, tell us about their girlfriends in the USA....

56 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I suspect a lot of the posters making these 'hang em high' posts have no contact with school kids and have no idea what the 13 and 14yo girls are getting up to back in their home countries.

I have an 18-year-old daughter and know what she is doing. Your view of women in general is known in this forum but don't match with the majority of educated women's behavior. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Celsius said:

You know... there really is no need to go around posting confused emoticons every time I get you triggered and called out

No one has called me out, and you do not have to answer my question.....????

But would be interesting, in relation to posts.....????

10 minutes ago, Celsius said:
11 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

State laws don't apply when you are travelling abroad. This is a federal crime and the minimum age limit is 18 years of age. It is all written in plain and simple language on US government site that has been posted quite a few times.

I see.

What's the Fed's stance on serial pedantry?

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

Where is your proof that he has done this before.

The mother says that he has a video

There is a rumour that she has an std.

Where have you been last 24 Hours??????

Reported by thai press yesterday:

He previously had similar incident in another school and was transfered to another school.

Read every post in this thread, use any search engine and VOILA.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Thanks for the link:

Mr Luke, an American English teacher & TikTok celeb with 1.3 million followers, was granted bail by Southern Bangkok Criminal Court Mon in the case of child abuse of a 16-year-old with a bail price of 100K bt & prohibited from leaving #Thailand unless authorised by the court.

1 hour ago, NanLaew said:

Didn't she lie and deceive as well?

I actually went on a ay trip to France with the school, and the girls went and sat on the beach away from us teachers, topless, with one of the male teachers. Girls ages were 16-17. I had no reason to think she was lying.

Edited by BritManToo

2 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

Please enlighten me on what sex crime did he commit.  Reading here, the only thing I read is that he took her away from her family which is not covered under the law you quote.

Legally it seems you can have sex with a 16yo as long as your not paying them eg prostituting....and in a position of power or authority eg schoolteacher 

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

Not only did they have sex, the perv took videos.  The mother has even accused the guy of giving her daughter gonorrhea.

Not sure why some of you are defending this guy.  He's a sexual predator, preying on very young girls.  This current situation is not his first rodeo. 

Nobody is defending the guy, but it's a trivial offence, no big deal.

Age of consent in the UK is 16, so legal IMHO, if morally iffy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Please enlighten me on what sex crime did he commit.  Reading here, the only thing I read is that he took her away from her family which is not covered under the law you quote.

According to the Siam Rath article linked to in the OP (and the OP itself) there is video evidence of him having sex with a 16 year-old. Under the law that was quoted, it is a crime to, "engage in illicit sexual conduct in a foreign country with a person under the age of 18 ..."

So unless they are all lying about the video that is the sex crime that he committed.

1 minute ago, GroveHillWanderer said:

According to the Siam Rath article linked to in the OP (and the OP itself) there is video evidence of him having sex with a 16 year-old. Under the law that was quoted, it is a crime to, "engage in illicit sexual conduct in a foreign country with a person under the age of 18 ..."

So unless they are all lying about the video that is the sex crime that he committed.

Let's wait and see what transpires, as the chap may get taken out by a bloke on here over false hearsay.....................:whistling:.....................????

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

Her Parents needed to consent to the relationship for it to be legal .

18 years old is the age when people can do what they want  , under 18 years old then they need their Parents permission .

Also , if an under 18 gives consent at the time, and then changed her mind post event and withdraws that consent , the act then become illegal .

Also, if any money is involved, it then becomes a child prostitution   issue

1 hour ago, Shop mak said:

Where have you been last 24 Hours??????

Reported by thai press yesterday:

He previously had similar incident in another school and was transfered to another school.

Read every post in this thread, use any search engine and VOILA.

again reported by Thai press  LOL that is a great source 

Again I am not condoning what he did he broke the law.  My questions, though go to did he break any sex laws that will have dire consequences/

People make a big deal out of the video.  I am willing to be there are more people that make love or have sex that video it these days than people might realize.

The part that concerns me is that the idiot could be so stupid as to fool around and get the clap and syphilis and pass it on.

It would be nice if the media followed this story and did not do their usual paste the hype then drop it 

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Her Parents needed to consent to the relationship for it to be legal .

18 years old is the age when people can do what they want  , under 18 years old then they need their Parents permission .

Also , if an under 18 gives consent at the time, and then changed her mind post event and withdraws that consent , the act then become illegal .

Also, if any money is involved, it then becomes a child prostitution   issue

The Thai system is so screwed up I am not sure how they sort this out.

The issue is whether he did it which seems to be YES

Then the question becomes did the parents know and when.  

Face it the guy is an idiot no argument as I stated earlier I hope the media stays on this case and covers it unlike others where they print the initial hype then drop it,

3 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

The Thai system is so screwed up I am not sure how they sort this out.

The issue is whether he did it which seems to be YES

Then the question becomes did the parents know and when.  

Face it the guy is an idiot no argument as I stated earlier I hope the media stays on this case and covers it unlike others where they print the initial hype then drop it,

Thai laws seems to be that the Parents /teenager can withdraw their consent after the act has taken place .

Even if the Parents/girl agree to the relationship beforehand, they can change their minds afterwards and file police charges .

The reason for this law is to stop guys making false promises (like marriage) and then deserting the girl afterwards 

4 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Note for those here with a predilection for younger totty: if she agrees to do it and afterwards simply decides she wished she hadn't done it, your "it was consensual" argument hasn't got a legal leg to stand on.

So either do a decent job of it, or pay well.

4 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Thai laws seems to be that the Parents /teenager can withdraw their consent after the act has taken place .

Even if the Parents/girl agree to the relationship beforehand, they can change their minds afterwards and file police charges .

The reason for this law is to stop guys making false promises (like marriage) and then deserting the girl afterwards 

An excellent clarification along with the raison d'être. Thanks.

Looking at the sheer numbers of grandparents that are looking after grandchildren on behalf of their single mum daughter here in Thailand, like so many other statutes here, this law is going really, really well.