An abdominal ultrasound

Ombra

Next week, I have to have an abdominal ultrasound examination, and the information I was given says that I should not drink any water for eight hours before that happens. However, I am 78 years old and I am not sure that I can get up in the morning and not drink anything until the examination is complete. Would sipping a little have much effect on the outcome? Thank you.

11 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

No. Did one last month, and sipped water. 

It still said I have Gall Bladder stones, to be removed next week at Government Hospital = Bht 50,000

That's good news for me, but not for you. I never knew that government hospitals were so expensive.

• Confused 1

28 minutes ago, Ombra said:

Next week, I have to have an abdominal ultrasound examination, and the information I was given says that I should not drink any water for eight hours before that happens. However, I am 78 years old and I am not sure that I can get up in the morning and not drink anything until the examination is complete. Would sipping a little have much effect on the outcome? Thank you.

https://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/abdominal-ultrasound/about/pac-20392738

• Thanks 1

@Ombra

if not too personal a query, what organ, if a specific one, and what are they looking for ?   Or just a check up.

As when I have done, it's fill up on water, and wait to you need to pee/bladder near full, then the ultrasound is done.   If not, it has a hard time distinguishing the internals & external part of ... I think.

Once I didn't drink up prior (provided by hosp), and the test was inconclusive and they actually wanted to do different test.  

Finding this out at the end of the day when getting results, and I suggested we do it again (no charge) with full bladder.   2nd run & all normal.

Seems all don't agree on the water thing ... yes or no.

yes to water made a positive difference in mine.

image.png.5d662ec96a5e64bdaae787024c7faed9.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:

@Ombra

if not too personal a query, what organ, if a specific one, and what are they looking for ?   Or just a check up.

As when I have done, it's fill up on water, and wait to you need to pee/bladder near full, then the ultrasound is done.   If not, it has a hard time distinguishing the internals & external part of ... I think.

Once I didn't drink up prior (provided by hosp), and the test was inconclusive and they actually wanted to do different test.  

Finding this out at the end of the day when getting results, and I suggested we do it again (no charge) with full bladder.   2nd run & all normal.

Seems all don't agree on the water thing ... yes or no.

yes to water made a positive difference in mine.

image.png.5d662ec96a5e64bdaae787024c7faed9.png

It is very kind of you to take the time to comment so fully and helpfully, and as you say the answer is not straightforward. The doctor wants me to have a full bladder at 10 a.m., but not to drink after 2 a.m. So I will take the minimum amount of water that will prevent dehydration and its effects.

Some months ago, I had a meal which upset my stomach for a couple of weeks. After the problem subsided, I was left with minor stomach pain, bloating, and gas in the upper abdomen so that I was burping throughout the day.

I went to Prachuap Khiri Khan Hospital and to the center on the third floor where people pay one or two thousand baht for a check-up. The doctor prescribed Omeprazole and Domperidone tablets and a couple of bottles of Alum Gel. After three weeks, I felt fine, but in view of my age, the doctor advised me to have the ultrasound test. Out of my hearing, she told my wife that she wanted to check the condition of my aorta.

The woman doctor, by the way, was very thorough and really good - this is for those who might live in Prachuap.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Ombra said:

It is very kind of you to take the time to comment so fully and helpfully, and as you say the answer is not straightforward. The doctor wants me to have a full bladder at 10 a.m., but not to drink after 2 a.m. So I will take the minimum amount of water that will prevent dehydration and its effects.

Some months ago, I had a meal which upset my stomach for a couple of weeks. After the problem subsided, I was left with minor stomach pain, bloating, and gas in the upper abdomen so that I was burping throughout the day.

I went to Prachuap Khiri Khan Hospital and to the center on the third floor where people pay one or two thousand baht for a check-up. The doctor prescribed Omeprazole and Domperidone tablets and a couple of bottles of Alum Gel. After three weeks, I felt fine, but in view of my age, the doctor advised me to have the ultrasound test. Out of my hearing, she told my wife that she wanted to check the condition of my aorta.

The woman doctor, by the way, was very thorough and really good - this is for those who might live in Prachuap.

Sounds like you're in good hands at PKK Hosp, as I've been there a few times myself, and very satisfied with them, once getting to talk with them.  

Also read that she may want to test for something else, before the ultrasound, and filling up that bladder.

Good Luck

That Q can be a bi-atch.  Some of my best AN trolling done there ????

Always ask the Doc if he/she has a clinic that they work out of after hours, avoids the hosp. Q.

Edited by KhunLA

An writing this from a hospital where I just had ultrasound s few minutes ago. They got a urine sample an hour ago after the results then asked me to drink before the ultrasound. So there was no concern about drinking prior to the ultrasound.

Health check next month and won't eat before but they say doing water is fine. 

You should check with the facility performing the test.  There is a specific reason why they don’t want you to drink liquid prior to the test. .  As an example.  I have had abdominal ultrasounds in Bangkok. I was never asked if I drank water or not before the exam. Your definition of sipping a little could possibly be too much.  And one’s abdominal ultrasound might differ from another’s. 

@Ombra. When gallbladder disease is suspected (and it may be in your case) it is important not to take any food (solid or liquid) for 8 hours before  it to prevent the gallbladder from emptying.

Depending on what is being checked, they may need thd bladder to be full or empty. If an empty bladder is needed then one should not drink much,  but small sips of water will he OK.

You will be fine taking small sips  of water before the test. When you arrive they  may either ask you to pee first or to refrain from peeing and drink a lot if water (depending on if they need to visualize the bladder)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Sounds like you're in good hands at PKK Hosp, as I've been there a few times myself, and very satisfied with them, once getting to talk with them.  

Also read that she may want to test for something else, before the ultrasound, and filling up that bladder.

Good Luck

That Q can be a bi-atch.  Some of my best AN trolling done there ????

Always ask the Doc if he/she has a clinic that they work out of after hours, avoids the hosp. Q.

That is very good advice, but the doctor in question has her after-hours clinic (or the first of her extra jobs) on the top floor of the hospital from 4.30 p.m. to 6 p.m., so the wait is not too long.

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Purdey said:

An writing this from a hospital where I just had ultrasound s few minutes ago. They got a urine sample an hour ago after the results then asked me to drink before the ultrasound. So there was no concern about drinking prior to the ultrasound.

Health check next month and won't eat before but they say doing water is fine. 

Thanks for the information. 

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, swm59nj said:

You should check with the facility performing the test.  There is a specific reason why they don’t want you to drink liquid prior to the test. .  As an example.  I have had abdominal ultrasounds in Bangkok. I was never asked if I drank water or not before the exam. Your definition of sipping a little could possibly be too much.  And one’s abdominal ultrasound might differ from another’s. 

All I know is that the appointment notice says that I shouldn't drink for hours before the exam, and my wife got the same message when she phoned the hospital and asked for clarification.

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

@Ombra. When gallbladder disease is suspected (and it may be in your case) it is important not to take any food (solid or liquid) for 8 hours before  it to prevent the gallbladder from emptying.

Depending on what is being checked, they may need the bladder to be full or empty. If an empty bladder is needed then one should not drink much,  but small sips of water will he OK.

You will be fine taking small sips  of water before the test. When you arrive they  may either ask you to pee first or to refrain from peeing and drink a lot if water (depending on if they need to visualize the bladder)

Thank you. The only extra information my wife got was that I should try not to pee after 7 a.m., which is not too difficult, I hope.

1 hour ago, Ombra said:

All I know is that the appointment notice says that I shouldn't drink for hours before the exam, and my wife got the same message when she phoned the hospital and asked for clarification.

So not coming really from the doctor. The people giving this advice might just tell everyone not to eat and drink since they do nto know exactly what the exam will be for. Anyway for sure should not take food (liquid or solid) for 8 hours before so that the gall bladder can be well visualized. Small sips of water will be OK

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Sheryl said:

So not coming really from the doctor. The people giving this advice might just tell everyone not to eat and drink since they do nto know exactly what the exam will be for. Anyway for sure should not take food (liquid or solid) for 8 hours before so that the gall bladder can be well visualized. Small sips of water will be OK

You are right, of course. I am just a name on a list and the staff are following general guidelines. Thank you.