Traveling by Bus from Chiang Mai …. around Northern Thailand.

SamSanuk

I was thinking of small adventures to nearby cities, close to Chiang Mai. (For instance, Lamphun..) Maybe just stay for 1 to 3 days, then back to CM.

I would rather pay for luxury and safety. Maybe a seat by itself, since I’m a solo traveler in my 60’s. I’ve seen some pictures where there are double seats on one side, solo seats on the other.

I would rather take advantage of online convenience, so maybe a website suggestion.

Any particular experiences with specific services would also be appreciated.

Much thanks in advance! ????

Edited by SamSanuk
  • Like 1

Lamphun is only 1/2 hour from C M, and the most interesting route is along the big trees. Can catch a songtheaw from the market. Used to be a small bus too, perhaps still going.

Otherwise big bus from bus station down the expressway.

Not noted for 5 star hotels and there is one ancient temple to look at. Not a place to see by walking, so rented car perhaps.

If having a rental, can go to see temple that was in the Rambo movie. High on a hill with great views. Temple of the footprint is below.

Best combined with a trip around the MHS loop. Don't know if buses are available the entire loop, and not at all from MHS along the northern route. That was by van only. I know a songtheaw from C M passes by the Doi Inthanon turn off.

Frankly, I can't see any benefit from trying to use buses, as most of the sights are off the main roads.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Lamphun is only 1/2 hour from C M, and the most interesting route is along the big trees. Can catch a songtheaw from the market. Used to be a small bus too, perhaps still going.

Otherwise big bus from bus station down the expressway.....

I've done the Songtheaw ride there a couple of times but for any sightseeing that method would be pretty much worthless.  Bus would be better for that purpose.

Or....just my preference....I found the train ride to there and Lampang to be more interesting (as in visually appealing) (but, unless they are now using the new train cars, the old train cars I've used on those routes are not in any sense upscale which the OP seems to prefer).

Edited by CMBob

There's the No.11 blue bus that departs from the Southern side of the moat near the Chiang Mai Gate. 

Chiang Mai to Doi Tao using Highway 108 passing through Hang Dong, San Patong, Chomtong and Hot.

No luxuries but extremely safe.

Top speed is about 30kmh as they have limiters installed, so you get to see all around you rather than a blur whizzing by.

Around 4hr to Hot, 5hr to Doi Tao.

There'll be lots of friendly locals who flag the bus down and hop on and off going between the small markets along the way.

Expect an occasional bemused look, as not may foreigners use or know about this route.

The fare to Chomtong is about 40THB.

No photo description available.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Paul Catton said:

There'll be lots of friendly locals who flag the bus down and hop on and off going between the small markets along the way.

Thanks for the memory. Where I used to live in Lanna, North Thailand, we had a similar blue bus service which operated between Chiang Rai and Lampang which also took hours! The route from Chiang Rai was via Maesuay, Wiang Papao, Maekachan, Wang Nua and Chae Hom. In those days the buses were old, slow and rickety, but provided an interesting tour of around 240 kms taking 7 hours or more (one way!)

• Thumbs Up 1

For real comfort, a grab cab can be booked on the spot for 1,500 baht for a 6-8 hour day. Or 2K for a marathon 10 hour mad dash of Chiang Rai's big sights and then back to CM.

Mini-bus to Pai is a socializing dream, and then that van goes on to Mae Hong Son (2 hours more).

And then you can fly back to CM for small money. This is a great way see a lot without backtracking. 3 days in each place is good. That little cave town is possibly worth an overnight too (on the same van route).

Edited by LaosLover

6 hours ago, LaosLover said:

For real comfort, a grab cab can be booked on the spot for 1,500 baht for a 6-8 hour day. Or 2K for a marathon 10 hour mad dash of Chiang Rai's big sights and then back to CM.

Mini-bus to Pai is a socializing dream, and then that van goes on to Mae Hong Son (2 hours more).

And then you can fly back to CM for small money. This is a great way see a lot without backtracking. 3 days in each place is good. That little cave town is possibly worth an overnight too (on the same van route).

is good to be the King....

• Like 1

On 9/7/2023 at 3:32 PM, SamSanuk said:

I would rather pay for luxury and safety.

No luxury in bus travel in TH.  Train better for both, if available.

Why not just do an inexpensive car hire/rental and self drive ?  I find the journey as or more enjoyable than the destination.  Car gives you options to explore.

On 9/10/2023 at 6:33 PM, Burma Bill said:

Thanks for the memory. Where I used to live in Lanna, North Thailand, we had a similar blue bus service which operated between Chiang Rai and Lampang which also took hours! The route from Chiang Rai was via Maesuay, Wiang Papao, Maekachan, Wang Nua and Chae Hom. In those days the buses were old, slow and rickety, but provided an interesting tour of around 240 kms taking 7 hours or more (one way!)

The four hour bus tour from the city to my wife's village was on a real rattletrap bus, but always a treat in scenery and observing the locals. Things like that made Thailand a wonderful place that those that travel by car will never know.

• Thumbs Up 1

23 hours ago, islandguy said:

Lampung has a weekend evening walking street which I enjoyed very much. It is at a historic preservation district which has places to stay. 

It has markets at different locations on different days. The one local to where I lived sometimes had coyotes dancing on the back of pickups with very loud sound systems.

I sometimes visited the one you reference.

On 9/11/2023 at 6:50 PM, KhunLA said:

No luxury in bus travel in TH.  Train better for both, if available.

Why not just do an inexpensive car hire/rental and self drive ?  I find the journey as or more enjoyable than the destination.  Car gives you options to explore.

More chances to die or kill a m'bike load of kids while driving in rural Thailand. Way better sitting in a big bus beside the window. I always enjoyed the bus trip from Bkk to Pattaya and visa versa.