A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

4 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

So the numbers published yearly by the Thailand Road Accidents Data Centre are bogus ?

Where do you get our numbers from, Heresy perhaps ?

Looking them up all the time. Like I said,  stats only say people that die at the scene. There are thousands that die yearly after making it to the hospital.

17 minutes ago, Keep Right said:

I have lived in Thailand for over twenty years and I see idiot foreigners on motorbikes everyday.

Are you assuming they are idiots or are basing your reply on seeing them daily driving recklessly? Someone else said in another thread that all people that drive motorbikes in Thailand are idiots, which accounts for probably 99% of drivers at one time or other.

11 minutes ago, steven100 said:

The customer might have a query about a product.  Can you make the beer colder tomorrow please.   Lol

"if I buy ten cases of beer will you give me a big discount ... and free delivery?"

Edited by Lemsta69
  • Thumbs Up 1

22 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

Looking them up all the time. Like I said,  stats only say people that die at the scene. There are thousands that die yearly after making it to the hospital.

You look them up all the time... Thats great.

Can you post a link from a credible source to the real statics please.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

You look them up all the time... Thats great.

Can you post a link from a credible source to the real statics please.

It would be easier if you looked up road deaths and possible after the scene deaths yourself. Apples to oranges doesn't matter much. If it's 50, 60 or 70 it's still a lot wouldn't you think? Or are you assuming that drivers here are really good, the police follow the laws and things are beautiful? 1437 in 2022 doesn't take into account those that died in the hospital.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

How could you doubt anything about anyone you don't know? Yes, I knew about Thai and it's ways, but came here to take care of my now ex wife and my daughter. Going back home to the US as soon as possible is because of seeing it more firsthand. It's not a good place for little, or for that matter, big girls. Thailand tries to learn from other countries for decades, and adopts some of their ways, but prejudice handed down from generations has slowed this progress. There's a reason thousands of locals have moved out and never came back. And it's not only because of money.

How many people have left Thailand never to return and how many the USA?

12 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Are you a serial "I want to speak to the manager" complainer ?

I find it really unpleasant when a customer behaves like that "Im going to speak to your manager, make a complaint, you're going to lose you job" "I'm videoing this" blah blah blah

Westerners should leave that kind of attitude back home and not bring it to Thailand 

No, the only way to change things IS to complain. Mai pen rai is how a lot do things, not wanting to cause a conflict, and is the major reason things change so slowly here, if at all. If you approach a worker, nicely, and using translator if need be, and want something done, they should know, as a salesman, that it is their job to provide customer service. If they don't want to do their job, you ask to see a supervisor. Sometimes, that's all it takes for them to do their job, which again, is customer service, no matter the race, creed or gender.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No, the only way to change things IS to complain. Mai pen rai is how a lot do things, not wanting to cause a conflict, and is the major reason things change so slowly here, if at all. If you approach a worker, nicely, and using translator if need be, and want something done, they should know, as a salesman, that it is their job to provide customer service. If they don't want to do their job, you ask to see a supervisor. Sometimes, that's all it takes for them to do their job, which again, is customer service, no matter the race, creed or gender.

I don't go to Thailand to try to change things or change the Thai way of doing things .

In another thread there are Westerners complaining about foreigners going to their Country and not doing things their way and acting like they do back at their  home Country

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, stevenl said:

How many people have left Thailand never to return and how many the USA?

I only know of what I've seen and heard. I know seven restaurants in San Antonio that are owned by Thais and or their husbands. I used to talk with them a lot, because I love Thai food, and they were from here and made it right.They all said, I will never go back, things are much better here. I have friends and family that have asked the same questions, because they knew I was going to move here. My girlfriend here has six friends that live in the US, Belgium, France and Sweden. Three in the US. They've all tried to convince her to move, like I'm trying to do someday. All said where they are was much better than here, for the same reasons, some of which can't be repeated here. I only know of two people that came here from the US and stayed. Myself and another fellow classmate who moved back to Florida a few years back and will stay there.

1 minute ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I don't go to Thailand to try to change things or change the Thai way of doing things .

In another thread there are Westerners complaining about foreigners going to their Country and not doing things their way and acting like they do back at their  home Country

No, we aren't here to change anything or anyone, but we can give advice that works, because good advice can work anywhere. Democracy is a good thing in western countries and is needed here, and a lot of Thais agree, knowing the US has many wonderful ideas, along with it's share of useless politicians. The court system here needs work, as does the enforcement of laws already on the books. Complaining isn't really our job, but hinting can work, especially if it gets to the right people.

4 hours ago, mike111 said:

I bought a pack of rubbish bags at 7-11 yesterday. Didn't open it & had the receipt.

Went back to the same shop today, approached the staff at the entrance to show I came in with the item & asked if I could exchange for something else. She said yes.

Good, collected a few snacks and headed back to the cashier. Out of nowhere she says "cannot". Surprised I asked why and she replied "more than 1 day".

WTF. I bought a pack of plastic bags less than 24h ago, never opened the pack & cannot exchange ? I didn't even ask for a refund.

Then I insisted and told her that the other staff said this would be possible. The gates of hell then opened wide ensuing with swearing in Thai, angry faces and what not. Eventually she said "I give you money back". I said I can just get other items instead but she insisted I just get the money & leave the shop, as a punishment for my wrongdoings.

I left determined not to place a foot in that shop again.

Moral of the story:

1. A reminder that foreigners are welcome in Thailand only while they're walking ATMs. If you're actually asking for something back, well...good luck.

2. 7-11 has ridiculous unwritten (at least in English) policies. Caveat emptor.

In the defence of 7Eleven staff, I've mostly found them very helpful. I'm a frequent customer and have had mistakes corrected and "I'm sorry" many times over the years.

I've also come across unhelpful staff and even been ripped off a few times. They are all people with their own personalities, both good and bad. The 'friendly vibe' depends a lot on the store and the owner. I have 2 stores closeby to my condo and both stores have a completely different vibe. One hires good-looking staff who are usually thin and the other store hires overweight, less attractive staff. Guess which store has the friendliest, most helpful vibe?

You cannot and should not draw conclusions about the hospitality of Thailand based on a 7Eleven experience. It varies with each franchise too. For example, I've found that the staff at Lotus's Mini stores are generally very unfriendly and unhelpful. This leads me to the conclusion that staff training is the reason.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It would be easier if you looked up road deaths and possible after the scene deaths yourself. Apples to oranges doesn't matter much. If it's 50, 60 or 70 it's still a lot wouldn't you think? Or are you assuming that drivers here are really good, the police follow the laws and things are beautiful? 1437 in 2022 doesn't take into account those that died in the hospital.

As I thought you have no links to a source credible or not.

Paint me surprised !

18 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

I only know of what I've seen and heard. I know seven restaurants in San Antonio that are owned by Thais and or their husbands. I used to talk with them a lot, because I love Thai food, and they were from here and made it right.They all said, I will never go back, things are much better here. I have friends and family that have asked the same questions, because they knew I was going to move here. My girlfriend here has six friends that live in the US, Belgium, France and Sweden. Three in the US. They've all tried to convince her to move, like I'm trying to do someday. All said where they are was much better than here, for the same reasons, some of which can't be repeated here. I only know of two people that came here from the US and stayed. Myself and another fellow classmate who moved back to Florida a few years back and will stay there.

So your claim "There's a reason thousands of locals have moved out and never came back. And it's not only because of money." Is unsubstantiated. I think your claim is totally incorrect.

29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

It would be easier if you looked up road deaths and possible after the scene deaths yourself. Apples

Yes,  we suggest you do that before posting false information.

29 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

1437 in 2022 doesn't take into account those that died in the hospital.

False.  It is 14,737 not 1437.

According to data revealed by ThaiRSC on Friday, road accidents claimed 14,737 lives and injured 924,799 in Thailand last year. Of them, 536 deaths and 7,885 injuries were foreigners.

ThaiRSC said that the average damage incurred.

• Like 1