A stark reminder of Thai "hospitality"

mike111

16 minutes ago, ericthai said:

This isn't any place in the world, this is Thailand and it seems you made someone in 7-11 loose face.

Most likely the 1st girl didn't understand you and just said "yes", like what is done so many times in Thailand,

More like they made themselves loose face. You don’t even need to say anything, that’s how fragile they are.

• Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, mike111 said:

1. A reminder that foreigners are welcome in Thailand only while they're walking ATMs. If you're actually asking for something back, well...good luck.

it's not a "Thais hate farang" issue. 

everywhere in the world, small shops have crappy refund policies. they don't like to give refunds.

need to shop in big stores for refunds without hassles.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

17 hours ago, mike111 said:

I bought a pack of rubbish bags at 7-11 yesterday. Didn't open it & had the receipt.

Went back to the same shop today, approached the staff at the entrance to show I came in with the item & asked if I could exchange for something else. She said yes.

Good, collected a few snacks and headed back to the cashier. Out of nowhere she says "cannot". Surprised I asked why and she replied "more than 1 day".

WTF. I bought a pack of plastic bags less than 24h ago, never opened the pack & cannot exchange ? I didn't even ask for a refund.

Then I insisted and told her that the other staff said this would be possible. The gates of hell then opened wide ensuing with swearing in Thai, angry faces and what not. Eventually she said "I give you money back". I said I can just get other items instead but she insisted I just get the money & leave the shop, as a punishment for my wrongdoings.

I left determined not to place a foot in that shop again.

Moral of the story:

1. A reminder that foreigners are welcome in Thailand only while they're walking ATMs. If you're actually asking for something back, well...good luck.

2. 7-11 has ridiculous unwritten (at least in English) policies. Caveat emptor.

no no ... you just met a Thai "Karen" (sorry to Karen people in the North).

Stupid people exist everywhere. Just ignore and move on.

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, bignok said:

He spent 5 years in a town he hates. Pretty funny.

It's called responsibility for my daughter, if you can understand that. I stay because I'm not prepared to start over again with her back home. If you don't have children, you can't relate, nor comment.

7 hours ago, bignok said:

20yo women talking to grumpy 60yo man

You know, it's easy to notice, if you're an observant person, that you like to  dis foreigners. If you're a foreigner and not a local in drag, that doesn't look good to the rest of us. We have enough  US and Brit bashers here already. If you do it to troll, that's childish, arguing just for the sake of. But it's consistent, so at least you have that.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I would like to hear her side of the story 

So you would take a teenage girls story over an adult farang? If you read into his tale, you can see the only thing he said which might be construed as resistance is that he "insisted" because the first girl said it was okay. This, and what he tried to do, is far from unreasonable. He didn't need the bags, at this time, and just wanted to exchange for other items, not ask for a refund for a small priced item. There isn't a problem with this besides that particular store's return policy.                                                                           This isn't a story added to another post about Thai bashing. This is a legitimate beef that he came across yesterday and just wanted to vent about. Seeing that some of us believe him and some don't, there's that small possibility that some are wrong, and some are right. I go with him for the before mentioned reasons, that this happened to him, and he wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary, wanted to get a few items in exchange for something he paid for and didn't need, and the girl either didn't want to bother to exchange for him because he is a foreigner,  that she didn't understand the policy and how to do a refund, or that that store doesn't do refunds, when they originally told him they would.                                                                                                                                       Of course there are those that will disagree for any number of reasons, prejudice against farangs, ignorance of the 7-11 policies or lack thereof, arguing just to argue, thinking that this man is somehow cheap because he wanted a refund on a small item, or anything else they can come up with just to disagree.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Would point out the west also has its problems. I'll including mass homelessness, rampant petty crime everywhere and out of control inflation.

I prefer it here.

I know all about it,I was there 62 uears in a few different states. But for me, it's home. Problems are everywhere, but what you consider to be home, is where you're comfortable.

14 hours ago, BarraMarra said:

Err might only be a few baht for bin bags but if you have a Bin that only fits a certain size bag. What good are they if they don't fit inside the bin? You would exchange them for the correct size your plastic bin uses. Not about the price.

'Not about the price'.  It's all about the price--likely 100 baht or less.  Which makes the OP's rant so ridiculous.  He wants his measly 100 baht for his incorrect purchase, come what may.  'You would exchange them for the correct size...'.  Err, no I wouldn't--the thought wouldn't even enter my head.  I know because I bought the incorrect size for one of our small trash cans a few weeks ago.

They're trash bags.  If they're larger than the bin size, you can still use them in the trash can--which I am doing with the ones I bought.  If they're too small, use them for other trash and then put them in the trash can.  They're trash bags.  Lots of uses. 

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 minutes ago, josephbloggs said:

Yeah, no idea why anyone would think that. Everyone should be able to return tiny items when they later decide they don't want them. Bin bags, crisps, a bottle of water, ice cubes, just go back the next day and shout at them in English until they relent - perfectly normal and not cheap at all.

Were you there? No, so you can't assume he was shouting. Act the part of an adult and give the man the benefit of the doubt. Read what he wrote and comprehend it. Don't pick it apart and assume. If you aren't sure, don't comment. The girl walked away saying okay, obviously she understood what he said, as many teenagers know some English here, much more than adults do. Insisting they do something which is reasonable isn't wrong. Complaining is how things are fixed, from a 7-11 return to the UN negotiating over policies and laws.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

It's called responsibility for my daughter, if you can understand that. I stay because I'm not prepared to start over again with her back home. If you don't have children, you can't relate, nor comment.

you really need to get a hobby .... 

16 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Can't think of any retail problems I've had since stopping buying Samsung products.

I love most Samsung products. Will never buy another Samsung TV, as they only make replacement parts for 36 months. Have had great luck with their phones, AC's and refrigerators. 

The Ultra 22 and 23 are likely the best cell phones on the planet. Leagues above Apple. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Are you simply trolling here..... can't believe you tried to return something you bought the day before..?. Thailand is pretty solid on the 'no refunds' approach. 

Ive had no issue returning items and getting a refund.

would not attempted it with some plastic bags at the 7/11 though.