Electricity consumption expected to surge in 2027 due to increased use of EVs

webfact

22 hours ago, Photoguy21 said:

I am neither a lover or hater of EV's but tell me what the big advantage of them is because I cant find anything to justify the price.

You don't have to pay any of those pesky road use taxes when you fill up. 

Though I think that's a temporary thing. Once they get EV's to a critical mass, I suspect they'll either tax by the km, flat annual, or figure out a way to tax the electrons.  I don't think they wanna spook anyone just yet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, impulse said:

You don't have to pay any of those pesky road use taxes when you fill up. 

Though I think that's a temporary thing. Once they get EV's to a critical mass, I suspect they'll either tax by the km, flat annual, or figure out a way to tax the electrons.  I don't think they wanna spook anyone just yet.

That is guaranteed to happen, but how?

A special charging tariff is easy back in farang-land where the nanny state hear and see all, but not so easy in Thailand where people spin the meter backwards at will and monitor when the PEA guy does his rounds.

Here they might recover the lost tax through the annual road tax.

How much are our finest MG owners currently paying for the yearly registration sticker?

Us petrol ️ heads are paying by engine volume. How are EVs charged, by weight? Engine kw?

• Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, impulse said:

My fear (and I freely admit this is a wingnut conspiracy thing) is that they'll eventually require all cars, EV and ICE, to have smart odometers that phone home and tell not only how many km they've traveled, but where they are- using GPS tech.  In realtime, recording forever where we've been.

They'll hide it at first, then announce it as a data gathering thing to improve safety and efficiency.  (It's actually already happening, like NorthStar)  But eventually, it'll be used to send you a bill for driving in specific areas and/or at specific times.  If they do it right, they'll even tap into your associated CBDC account and won't even need to bill you.  And if you piss "them" off, or violate some kind of parameter, your car will be bricked for awhile.

Edit:  And they won't need speed traps any more.  Your own car will rat you out.  Scary...

Do you have an overactive imagination?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Sorry, I drive a 3L diesel truck... I want to get there!

Oh ... one of those ... ????

... jacko45k wrote:

'I felt it unsafe to even breathe with the level of vehicle pollution" ????

Edited by KhunLA

16 hours ago, impulse said:

My fear (and I freely admit this is a wingnut conspiracy thing) is that they'll eventually require all cars, EV and ICE, to have smart odometers that phone home and tell not only how many km they've traveled, but where they are- using GPS tech.  In realtime, recording forever where we've been.

They'll hide it at first, then announce it as a data gathering thing to improve safety and efficiency.  (It's actually already happening, like NorthStar)  But eventually, it'll be used to send you a bill for driving in specific areas and/or at specific times.  If they do it right, they'll even tap into your associated CBDC account and won't even need to bill you.  And if you piss "them" off, or violate some kind of parameter, your car will be bricked for awhile.

Edit:  And they won't need speed traps any more.  Your own car will rat you out.  Scary...

Yes I agree this is all in the works but it really goes further than this....

Their dream is to force most people to depend on public transit and only alowing the very rich to own cars......The poor folks can all use self driving uber taxis....

They love EVs because of their limited range and long charging limes...And high cost..

Their nightmare would be a cheap car that refuled fast and could drive for 500 -1000 miles for just a few dollars and lasted for many decades.....

Edited by redwood1