The Scooter that thinks it's an Electric Superbike !

Social Media

Pretty cool ... I like it. But @ UK price of ฿330k

Extra battery @ ฿30k NO THANKS

But to call it a super bike ????

100 kph & 60 km range.

Range is kind of low, as battery spec'd about the same as mine, and pretty sure I can squeeze 90 kms out of ours, if needed.  Not that I'd want to go that far, that slow.  Which gave a chuckle while watching, when he said 'comfy for longer rides'.

Not stated, but guessing motor is 5000w, vs my 3000w, and explains take off speed, and lower range.

Edited by KhunLA

32 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Looks like a cheap Chinese electric scooter to me.

Clearly this guy was paid a lot to enthuse about this POS.

Except for the look, hard to get excited about that scooter at all, especially at the price point.  Except for probably a larger motor, no advantage over the 2000w & 3000w motor DECO scooters available from 40-80k baht.

Obviously for a single person, as no seat room for your partner .... boring.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

If you really wanted to save the planet, you'd buy a second hand Honda Wave for 20,000 Baht and save the planet from the harm of manufacturing yet another vehicle and the mining of Lithium and Cobalt.

Mine only cost me 12,000. Yes it needs a top end overhaul which is on the list but I've already been up some local hills and followed some farm tracks which is what I bought it for. I have bought some trail tyres for it and a 3 litre red gas can just in case.

• Thumbs Up 2

55 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly.

If you really wanted to save the planet, you'd buy a second hand Honda Wave for 20,000 Baht and save the planet from the harm of manufacturing yet another vehicle and the mining of Lithium and Cobalt. Plus you'd save yourself over 250,000 Baht in the process and you wouldn't look like a complete tool while riding around looking for a charging station every 60km.

Superbike? ????

This...   We don't read or hear it enough... 

The manufacture of both new ICE's and EV's is energy intensive and polluting. EV's more so than ICE vehicles such that at point zero (zero kms travelled) the EV has some distance to travel to bring it into 'carbon foot print' parity with ICE's and this can take years, 8 years or more for extended range vehicles with larger batteries....  thats just carbon-footprint and doesn't include the air and groundwater pollution from Lithium and cobalt mining (although battery tech is turning more towards LiFePO4 batters (which don't have cobalt).

That said, I like EV's... I don't think they are more environmentally friendly, but I wouldn't chose one for those purposes, I'd chose one because some of them are better cars.

I like this bike, it looks fun and ticks a lot of good boxes, though it misses out on a lot of issues - the superbike performance blurb is comical, its a very very very far cry from anything that comes close to superbike.... zippy scooter is perhaps a better description. 

The range is not going to bother those who use their bike for regular 10-30km commutes etc, but its certainly going to stop a lot of people and while I believe range anxiety is more of a psychological factor than a real factor when it comes to car EV's... this limited 60km range would give me pause for thought. 

The reason I stepped down from a 'real motorcycle' to a scooter type motorcycle in Bangkok was primarily storage, scooters are just so convenient and this EV motorcycle, with no storage is not. 

The price - forget it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JonnyF said:

Exactly.

If you really wanted to save the planet, you'd buy a second hand Honda Wave for 20,000 Baht and save the planet from the harm of manufacturing yet another vehicle and the mining of Lithium and Cobalt. Plus you'd save yourself over 250,000 Baht in the process and you wouldn't look like a complete tool while riding around looking for a charging station every 60km.

Superbike? ????

If you really wanted to save the planet, you'd be a subsistent farmer, and not even be on the internet, let alone own motorized transportation.

Or at least live in a 15 minute city & walk.

Hypocrisy - the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you really wanted to save the planet, you'd be a subsistent farmer, and not even be on the internet, let alone own motorized transportation.

Or at least live in a 15 minute city & walk.

Hypocrisy - the practice of claiming to have moral standards or beliefs to which one's own behavior does not conform.

While I live in BKK for my work, I also run a fully organic farm in Issan, on which I have planted over 300 trees and grow many types of fruit and veg which I sell or donate locally.

Ignorance - the practice of talking nonsense despite a lack of knowledge or information.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not wishing to derail the topic, but might that describe EV's in the first place ???

Depends if your purpose for owning is saving the planet.  Me ... don't think the planet needs saving.   All about saving baht for me, and performance.

That it pollutes the local air a bit less, almost gives me that warm & fuzzy feeling.

Especially when I'm behind smelling benzine & diesel vehicles on the scooter.  Or simply walking about. 

Diesel owners should be ashamed of themselves, as they are directly affecting other folks' health, and in a negative way.   It really does amaze me, that fuel is not banned for personal use, if not completely.

5 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Depends if your purpose for owning is saving the planet.  Me ... don't think the planet needs saving.   All about saving baht for me, and performance.

That would be the reasons for me getting one.

I don't believe that they are any cleaner at all when considering bigger picture. 

That it pollutes the local air a bit less, almost gives me that warm & fuzzy feeling.

Especially when I'm behind smelling benzine & diesel vehicles on the scooter.  Or simply walking about. 

Agreed, in areas of high population density the can make a big difference to the air we breathe, but the energy must also be sourced - in area's of high population density, there is not a lot of room to put solar on a condo - so that power comes from other sources / areas. 

Diesel owners should be ashamed of themselves, as they are directly affecting other folks' health, and in a negative way.   It really does amaze me, that fuel is not banned for personal use, if not completely.

Did you know about that 5 or 10 years ago ?

It wasn't so long ago that governments were pushing diesel above everything else. 

Now the governments are pushing EV's. 

13 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

It wasn't so long ago that governments were pushing diesel above everything else. 

Yes, that's been proven/direct link for a long time.... IMHO

Diesel really should be only used for commercial vehicles, if at all.

1 hour ago, KhunLA said:
1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yes, that's been proven/direct link for a long time.... IMHO

Diesel really should be only used for commercial vehicles, if at all.

I don't disagree with you - but I think you missed my point.

When did YOU know this ?

Did you know in the 1990's and early 2000's ???

In 2001 the British Government reduced tax rates on diesel cars based on their lower CO2 emissions to meet agreements outlined in the Kyoto agreement. 

Obviously not a lot was known about Nitrogen oxides then.

Now, governments are favouring EV's and pushing those... In 20 years will we know something new about further damage to our health or environment as a result of significantly increased EV usage ?

14 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

I don't disagree with you - but I think you missed my point.

When did YOU know this ?

Did you know in the 1990's and early 2000's ???

In 2001 the British Government reduced tax rates on diesel cars based on their lower CO2 emissions to meet agreements outlined in the Kyoto agreement. 

Obviously not a lot was known about Nitrogen oxides then.

Now, governments are favouring EV's and pushing those... In 20 years will we know something new about further damage to our health or environment as a result of significantly increased EV usage ?

As long as I can remember.  Does anyone need to tell you petrol exhaust, benzene or diesel isn't healthy.  Your nose know, and body reacts to it, more so with diesel.

Diesel & home heating oil is about the same, and can actually be used to hold you over, if heating oil isn't available, or a Q to be delivered (one of those crap jobs I had).   That coats the flue of a chimney with cancer causing creosote.  So yea, I've know that since I was a chimney sweep, back in the late 70s.

Edited by KhunLA

14 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As long as I can remember.  Does anyone need to tell you petrol exhaust, benzene or diesel isn't healthy.  Your nose know, and body reacts to it, more so with diesel.

Diesel & home heating oil is about the same, and can actually be used to hold you over, if heating oil isn't available, or a Q to be delivered (one of those crap jobs I had).   That coats the flue of a chimney with cancer causing creosote.  So yea, I've know that since I was a chimney sweep, back in the late 70s.

Actually, its your body reacting to the solvent cut of the fluid, there are a number of fluids which are harmful and even deadly to us yet colourless and odourless....  

You knew before scientists that Diesel was more harmful to health than petrol ?.

As explained above - your nose is not the answer, because your nose cannot smell NO2 - which is the reason Diesel has been 'de-popularised' after its noughties governmental push. 

My point is still... Governments were pushing diesel as a better alternative to Petrol in the early 2000's and then that backfired. 

Are we so sure EV's are the way forward compared to other alternatives such as carbon-capture, improved catalytic converters, hydrogen fuel-cells etc ???

Could there be issues with EV's in the future, something we haven't thought about or are not aware of yet?

• 3 weeks later...