Is there a legitimate way to make a meaningful amount of money online that does not involve speaking?

8 hours ago, JensenZ said:

It's a huge improvement on VPNs, which are detectable anyway. You're not disguising your location, you are accessing your own virtual PC from inside the destination country. There are a huge number of providers for people requiring VPSs in the USA.

Your suggestion with a VPS is detectable as well.

Edited by SuperSaiyan
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, acepredator said:

I don't have any ideas for YouTube videos that people would watch. Also, I don't have anyone who could speak for me. The only people I know are Thais. Thanks for the suggestion.

Youtube ASMR videos? Lots of beautiful places in Thailand.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, acepredator said:

It would be extremely disruptive for her, her daughter, and her two grandchildren if I left.

I think the idea was targeted at a person who isn't already settled with a family for 19 years lol.

I've been invested in the stock market for the last 20 years, during which time I've made a lot of money, but not from trading. I have mutual funds my investment advisor put me in that I sell when I need money. I tried buying penny stocks on my own, but every one of them lost money,

There's investing like you appear to have done and there's trading. The latter can be very lucrative using price action with leverage if you care to spend the time looking into and studying it - many free resources online. The benefits are that you are entirely responsible for your own risks and rewards, there is no capital outlay like when starting a business and in your own case no need to speak! Not for everyone tho.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm not poor now by any means. I didn't say that I was poor. It's just that my expenses have continued to increase while I have been retired so that I'm not bringing in any money other than what I make on the stock market, and it has been stagnant for a few years now. I'm only preparing for a future that will be more expensive than today.

Youre lucky as it seems like you have money/investments. My best advice is play the Long game. Be careful, be frugal, you should know by now approx how much your investments make per year.

1. Fix your Gerd.

2. Teach part time.

3. Save more money than you spend.

Have a plan.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Hamus Yaigh said:

I think the idea was targeted at a person who isn't already settled with a family for 19 years lol.

There's investing like you appear to have done and there's trading. The latter can be very lucrative using price action with leverage if you care to spend the time looking into and studying it - many free resources online. The benefits are that you are entirely responsible for your own risks and rewards, there is no capital outlay like when starting a business and in your own case no need to speak! Not for everyone tho.

If trading was easy why do most lose money? 

• Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

There are lots of opportunities to make money online.  That is not the issue.  The difficult part is getting paid.

Paypal is now off the table as a payment solution if you are living in Thailand.  Even if you have an account in your home country you will still be geoblocked if you try to access it.

Simon43 bumped into this problem already because he was receiving his teaching wages via PayPal.  I think he is now using Payoneer but that could also be blocked in Thailand moving forward.

Ignore any suggestions to do written or task rabbit style work online because ALL of that work will be absorbed by AI in the next 5 years.  Poorly informed posters here are warning you that for unskilled task you have to compete with people in the third world who are happy to work for less than $5 per hour....LOL...  AI works for free.

Facebook recently launched Threads which is a Twitter (X) style platform.  Twitter cost billions of dollars and millions of man hours to build.  Zuck built Threads in three months using a team of just 6 people running AI agents do all the heavy lifting.

I trade junk funds.  They are relatively stable but channel between 2-4 percent each month.  I just use bollinger bands and no other analysis tools.  I set a buy order just inside the lower band, and then a sell order just inside the upper band always using GTC orders.  I skim at least 2-3 percent each month on each fund.  I trade in 100K usd blocks.  If I get trapped in a trade the underlying funds pay 11% + monthly distrubution anyway so worst case scenario is I only get 11% return but of course if trapped in the trade I am exposed to greater risk of default in junk portfolio held by the fund.

Do you use the standard bb settings of 20 and 2?

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Adumbration said:

There are lots of opportunities to make money online.  That is not the issue.  The difficult part is getting paid.

Paypal is now off the table as a payment solution if you are living in Thailand.  Even if you have an account in your home country you will still be geoblocked if you try to access it.

I've been living in Thailand since 2019 and have been using my Canadian PayPal the whole time without being geoblocked. Not using any VPN/VPS/Proxy etc.. either. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ben Zioner said:

Nope..

Nope about what?  I live in a big detached house in Laos and my total monthly outlay (including private expat medical insurance) is under $1,000 a month. It would be cheaper in Cambodia.

Concerning getting paid, I opened a UK Paypal account when I was back in Blighty earlier this year.  That works fine to receive funds from most countries and I pay that into my Wise account, then transfer the balance to either my Thai or Lao bank account.  My main teaching income is paid using Payoneer or WeChat/Alipay via Stripe.

As others have mentioned, if you could fix/minimise your GERD, then teaching (either online or in-class could be possible).  If you took an in-class teaching job in Myanmar (typically $2,500 tax-free per month), you would be considered a youngster at 66 years old....

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Nope about what?  I live in a big detached house in Laos and my total monthly outlay (including private expat medical insurance) is under $1,000 a month. It would be cheaper in Cambodia.

Concerning getting paid, I opened a UK Paypal account when I was back in Blighty earlier this year.  That works fine to receive funds from most countries and I pay that into my Wise account, then transfer the balance to either my Thai or Lao bank account.  My main teaching income is paid using Payoneer or WeChat/Alipay via Stripe.

As others have mentioned, if you could fix/minimise your GERD, then teaching (either online or in-class could be possible).  If you took an in-class teaching job in Myanmar (typically $2,500 tax-free per month), you would be considered a youngster at 66 years old....

Nope.

You said "You can live quite healthily and happily on $1,000 a month in Thailand/ Laos/ Cambodia/ Philippines." .  In Thailand 35000 Baht is a bare minimum for living single, so "happiness" on a bare minimum? And without family one can't be happy anyhow, so 200000 will be a starting number.

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, bignok said:

What is your favourite indicator?

That's a lone piece of string ?

Doom & Gloom is always good, Look at drug companies the last few years.  I started investing during the Y2K scam.

Dumped just before 2000, as the scam was exposed then, and techs crashed.  Had stocks doubling & splitting every 3-6 months.

Then Bush2 got elected, and moved over to speculative oil stocks.

I won't do defense contractors stocks ... I have some morals, though at the time, they were raking in huge profits.  Cheney, go figure.  I can't directly help people kill people.  War & oil prices were inevitable.  Didn't need to be genius to see that coming.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

That's a lone piece of string ?

Doom & Gloom is always good, Look at drug companies the last few years.  I started investing during the Y2K scam.

Dumped just before 2000, as the scam was exposed then, and techs crashed.  Had stocks doubling & splitting every 3-6 months.

Then Bush2 got elected, and moved over to speculative oil stocks.

I won't do defense contractors stocks ... I have some morals, though at the time, they were raking in huge profits.  Cheney, go figure.  I can't directly help people kill people.  War & oil prices were inevitable.  Didn't need to be genius to see that coming.

Fundamentals then. Oil stocks look ok right now. Banking shares too. Lithium price has copped a belting but I see a low soon. There is room for both oil and lithium. Its not one or the other. Hybrid vehicles I have driven and better than stand alone.

• Thanks 1