Date Format

KannikaP

I am an Englishman accustomed in my own usage of how to write the date. I don't only use numbers. Today's date for me is 13 Sept. Equally accurate is Sept 13

The numbers system used by USA and UK are both equally correct. However, it is equally true that using only numbers is confusing for each country using numbers only but only up to the month number 12. The USA also tend to put the year first in many cases. 

Nothing to do with logic but countries are to blame by not appreciating that there are more countries than their own, especially on the Internet, accessing information that may be date sensitive and therefore, in my opinion, there would be no confusion by anyone using the method in my first paragraph. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

There us a clear difference between English (USA) and English (UK), just check your spell checkers

Yes its a bloody nuisance, I write a word in English and get a spell check, then it makes me think I have made a mistake but I haven't, bloody Google thinks everyone is a frigging yank.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Knots = nautical miles per hour..used for Aircraft?????     Ships, yes.

Yes indeed. I was an aircraft instrument engineer in the RAF 60s/70s and Knots was the standard measurement at the time.

There may have been changes in recent times.

21 hours ago, BenStark said:

They borrowed it from that backward bred island folks, the one that still use stones for weight, who later saw the light and switched to what most of the world uses.

https://iso.mit.edu/americanisms/date-format-in-the-united-states/

One of the hypotheses is that the United States borrowed the way it was written from the United Kingdom who used it before the 20th century and then later changed it to match Europe (dd-mm-yyyy).

Americanism: Date Format

For international business comms as well as saving files on my pc, 2023-09-13 is a logical and understood format regardless of what the local format is.

Edited by SportRider
typo
  • Confused 1

Related to this I suppose, I like the way in Scandinavia they put the street name first and then the number. And not only in Scandinavia but other European countries too, if memory serves. Totally logical, as first you need to know what the street is called before moving on to find the property.

Edited by Bangkok Barry
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

Related to this I suppose, I like the way in Scandinavia they put the street name first and then the number. And not only in Scandinavia but other European countries too, if memory serves. Totally logical, as first you need to know what the street is called before moving on to find the property.

Well what about the Thai method? How any delivery person ever finds the destination is a mystery to me.

Sometimes it's a mystery to them too......stuff doesn't make it, or needs a dozen phone calls plus Google maps.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Grusa said:

Well what about the Thai method? How any delivery person ever finds the destination is a mystery to me.

Sometimes it's a mystery to them too......stuff doesn't make it, or needs a dozen phone calls plus Google maps.

Indeed. That's why whenever we got deliveries such as furniture we have had to draw a map. Even for immigration to visit. In the past month, though, we had PET come to check the electric to the house and they used Google Street View for my wife to point out the house, and Global House did the same to deliver a new air-conditioner.

Many years ago there was talk of Thailand 'westernising' the address system but, of course, nothing came of it. But it isn't just Thailand, as Japan appears to have a similar brainless system.

4 hours ago, swm59nj said:

And the America haters.  Most couldn’t make it living in America ......the reasons you are living in Thailand. 

I am a Yank, TWO reasons I live in Thailand:

Rent- 2 BR House with Yard, garden in gated community $135-$140USD ( exchange rate ) a month,,,,in US my 1 BR apartment is now $800.

Electric - ranged from $120 to $210 ( AC / Heat ) a month..most I have paid in Th with AC & TV,'s and etc around 12 hours a day $66USD.

Seems very practical to get as much leasure / cost benifits as possible at 77 years old.

21 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Utterly confusing, totally unnecessary... upside-down and inside out..

Putting MM before DD in a MM-DD-YYYY format is just idiotic.

I've worked for numerous international companies and the ones which use the MM-DD-YY format always suffer some sort of delay, fault or issue as a result.

IMO the ONLY valid date format for international use is DD-MMM-YYYY to avoid any confusion whatsoever... i.e. 24-JAN-2024  this is complete unambiguous and removes every dash of doubt or misunderstanding.

You need to use year.month.day if you want computers to sort it correctly.

• Like 1

Whatever said and done, the US has become the most powerful country on this planet (or so we are told), went to the moon etc..... so, they must be doing something right... whatever their date format or their measuring standards are!

Edited by ravip

To have two data formats is stupid especially if one number does not exceed 12. Like
is "9/6/23" 6th of September or 9th of June ?

But there seem to be folks that measure weight in "stones". Obviously survived from some time ago.

Edited by moogradod
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 minutes ago, moogradod said:

To have two data formats is stupid especially if one number does not exceed 12. Like
is "9/6/23" 6th of September or 9th of June ?

But there seem to be folks that measure weight in "stones". Obviously survived from some time ago.

survived from the "stones" age  555