The state of your average expat in Thailand.

bob smith

I come from a family of over-achievers. And they for long time have wanted nothing to do with me as I am not an over-achiever just plain old sometime achiever.

Early on, I was asked if my moving to Thailand maybe had something to with that?

I said: Heck. For some of them, it's been so long, they might even realize I'm gone. 

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

You do make many disparaging remarks about farangs, even though you are one, so that makes it easier to reply. Just what does a loser look like? You can't say it's because of the clothes they wear, because comfortable is more important than style, except to the high society lowlifes that think they are above others. farangs hang out with other farangs mainly because we can relate to each other, with some exceptions, present company suspected, many of us can't speak fluent Thai, so can't hold a meaningful conversation with locals. Like I mentioned earlier, I know quite a few farangs here, and none are losers as far as what a loser means to most of us. If you talk to others like you talk to us here, I'm very aware why you don't have any friends. There is help for that, with the exception of you possibly being a narcissist, which really has no hope. They act superior but are hiding behind a facade of inferiority. I have been watching your replies for a long time now, and I don't see many which are helpful. Why put down farangs all the time? People are people everywhere. All countries have their share of narcissists, weirdos, empaths, losers, users, abusers, and power hungry officials. There are amongst those many good people, who like the company of others of their own kind. I have no problem hanging out with Thais here, as my girlfriend has quite a few she works with and are neighbors, who we sit with and share a few beers. I don't understand much of what they are saying, but I can see they accept me, and vice versa. The conversations are usually between my gf and them, but she translates when they are asking me questions. With farangs, the conversations can get a lot more involved, which is why we hang out together.

what strikes me about your post is, what are you doing in Thailand? Nothing wrong with choosing a new country from the one you were born in?. This is the 3rd country my wife and I moved to. Simple reasons: fell in love with the people, the food, the lack of regulations (compared to Canada). One country we choose was Mexico, learned the basic language, loved the culture and food. But instinctively, we knew that our personal safely would always be at risk (especially if one got mistaken for an American).  it was  But there has got to be a number of compelling reasons reasons to move. One think I never understand, is, if you choose to live with a Thai girlfriend, or marry, it is difficult to understand why you wouldn't bother to learn Thai and integrate.?  what is the point of planning a life for a life long relationship, if you cannot communicate properly. ?

3 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

You haven't read my earlier posts, so I'll let you know. I met my now ex wife back in 2015 while visiting Thailand for Songkran in Bueng Kan. Was always on my bucket list so I came here. Stayed at the hotel she was working at, met her, fell in love, stayed a month here (yes, of course too fast), came back in September, got married, went back to the states, came back for honeymoon in February, left, came back a few times in the next 2 years, thinking I could get her to move to the states. She wanted to stay near her family, a group of people that basically don't like each other, 10 more kids, various ages and locations, particularly the mom (dad died earlier). Sold my house, built one here, she became herself soon afterwards, kidnapped our daughter 4 times, had to file for divorce to get daughter back home (in America, and most other places, she would be jailed), now live in house I built, joint custody, she now works in Pattaya so I have daughter now, until she returns (maybe). Planning to re establish back home with daughter as soon as I can work things out. I like some things here, but my hobbies I can't do, besides some fishing that isn't good in Isaan in any places not private or pay and fish. I try and learn a little Thai, but it isn't easy unless I'm doing it a lot, which I'm not, having no one else here that speaks both besides my girlfriend, who I talk with in English. My ex speaks a little English, but the lack of communication we had wasn't from that but from her past history and failing to climb out of it. Narcissism runs in her family. Covert, not malignant.  I don't care to integrate for those reasons, because this isn't home to me. And my daughter will do a thousand times better back home.

Shot gun wedding. Never marry in first 12 months. You should know better.

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, paddypower said:

what strikes me about your post is, what are you doing in Thailand? Nothing wrong with choosing a new country from the one you were born in?. This is the 3rd country my wife and I moved to. Simple reasons: fell in love with the people, the food, the lack of regulations (compared to Canada). One country we choose was Mexico, learned the basic language, loved the culture and food. But instinctively, we knew that our personal safely would always be at risk (especially if one got mistaken for an American).  it was  But there has got to be a number of compelling reasons reasons to move. One think I never understand, is, if you choose to live with a Thai girlfriend, or marry, it is difficult to understand why you wouldn't bother to learn Thai and integrate.?  what is the point of planning a life for a life long relationship, if you cannot communicate properly. ?

I think a lot of guys marry women with a 9th grade education. No wonder lots are not suited. 

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, rumak said:

I'm pretty happy .  Well,  it used to be a lot better when it was all sex,  drugs and rock and roll.

now, things have really changed.    the music sucks !

Mick Jagger on David Lettterman's 10 top things he's learned after 50 years in Rock & Roll:

#10 You used to play Rock & Roll so you could have sex and do drugs.

Now -- you do drugs, so you can still play Rock & Roll and have sex.

1 minute ago, transam said:

You do not have a clue what you are talking about.

You just post baiting cr@p.

As for 9th Grade education, you've got some front mentioning that................????

I have a degree, as does me girlfriend. Sorry you are 9th grade level, must be given the anger. You have been on ignore for a month yet didn't even realise it. Your posts are getting worse not better. Bye.

Just now, Ralf001 said:

All the farang losers I have met do frequent bar stools.

All the farang non losers I have met do not frequent bar stools.

Must be a bar thing.

I have a friend here, from the states, who lived many years in Sweden before moving here and staying. He likes to go to bars to talk with other farangs, has a degree in business, two homes, one here and the other there, and isn't near a loser.

3 minutes ago, Ralf001 said:

All the farang losers I have met do frequent bar stools.

All the farang non losers I have met do not frequent bar stools.

Must be a bar thing.

So you do the bar stool thing to take notes, as good an excuse, I suppose...????