When you're old & lonely

georgegeorgia

Must say I too would be interested in thaibeachlovers story 

44 minutes ago, NextG said:

Do you regret leaving? 
We’re your financials really that bad that you couldn’t afford to stick it out?

It’s rare that I see a happy post from you, but you seem more engaged than earlier at least. 

On 9/13/2023 at 4:39 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Can I just repeat that tommrrw is 

R U ok ? Day 

Please guys if your at traffic lights on your motorcycle particularly in Pattaya ask the next guy next to you  R U OK ? 

Well done george. Thanks for posting this today.

The catch-phrase 'R U Ok' is not meant to be what one says to people straight up (unless you have an intimate relationships that allows for such direct enquiry).

It is a key, a prompt, to take notice of and make contact with those around you to see how they are managing, coping in their lives.

I encourage those here who reply to such a post with cynical, dismissive, mocking and contemptive tones that they themselves are not doing Ok today.

40 minutes ago, xylophone said:

As if to back up some of the posts on this thread about being old and alone and having someone to care for you, I experienced something today which really brought it home to me – –

Sitting talking to a couple of women I know who own a massage shop, and I've known them for quite a few years now, so I often stop off for a chat, and if I'm making a Thai meal, I cook enough for them as well and they seem to appreciate it. Anyway just across the road we noticed an old farang stumbling along and falling over, and my immediate response was perhaps he was drunk, and one of the women said she thought she recognised him and he wasn't a drinker??

Having said that, the two women went over to him and lifted him up, and bought him over to the guesthouse/bar next door, so I asked them if he was drunk/smelling of alcohol and they said no, but they thought there was something wrong with him mentally. When they said this I went over to him to see if he understood English, and to see if I could help, but the only thing I got out of him was that he was Swiss and that he had forgotten his hotel, although he had a hotel key with him (nothing on it to indicate which hotel). He did point up the road somewhere and muttered, so I thought I would walk up the road and see if I could see something which might match the picture on his room key, but no luck, even though I asked a few shopkeepers and motorbike taxi drivers, and they were no help unfortunately.

There was a farang sitting nearby, whom I had seen over many years, and who a friend of mine had known, and often said that he was a miserable, grumpy old bar steward, however I thought he might be able to help so I asked if he understood Swiss/German, however this grumpy old bar steward dam near bit my head off with just one or two English words in it but the rest of it was grumpy and loud and he was just obnoxious, so I walked away.

I was speaking to the two women who were still sitting next to the poor guy trying to comfort him because he looked a little flustered, and I would say he was either suffering from some sort of dementia, or had a minor stroke or suchlike, but he had no idea where his hotel was unfortunately, and the only thing we could get out of him was a Soi name, and we didn't even know if that was the right one.

So I said to one of the women, the one who thought she recognised him, that perhaps we should get a tuk tuk and put him in it and drive to this particular Soi to see if he recognised his hotel, which they thought was a good idea. I also suggested that if they had no luck they should either take him to the hospital or to the police station to see if they could help They both wanted to go with him, so I gave them 500 baht for the tuk tuk fare and off they went.

I sat down and spoke to the owner of the massage shop and her sister, and they were puzzled as to why he would be here on his own, and I said maybe he had just had some sort of mental problem, and that it could happen to anybody, although someone should always have the phone number of a friend to help. To which they replied that I was about the same age as him and that I shouldn't worry because if anything happened to me they would come round and take care of me and I only had to let them know and they would be there.

In its own way that was very comforting, but it got me thinking about this thread and wondering how many old guys here could be in the same position should a medical event occur.

Too long. 100 words will do.

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, NextG said:

Was Yinn the Australian to whom transam refers?

not a subject they want brought up here ..... you will have to ask him

ahhhh the good ole days ........

Edited by rumak
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Since you asked:

Arrived on the shores of LOS some decades ago and fell in love with the women. Still had to work, so only visiting and many trips to the beaches of LOS with a friendly young woman to keep me warm in bed ( which is why I claim to love Thai beaches ).

Got old and stupid, so thought getting married was a good idea. Also assumed I could get pension from home country.

Jump forward some years and I was engaged, moved to LOS to live with beloved.

Discovered I was unable to get pension in LOS, but able to survive on savings so long as family helped me.

Got married.

Jump forward some more years and divorced, no pension and no family to help me.

Left LOS for ( probably ) the final time.

Spend my life wishing I was there and not here. Too cold, too PC, too expensive, no pretty girls.

That's a horrible story. Most guys would be testing out their homemade wing suit from the top of a Viewtalay building, yet here you are. Where there's life, there's hope. 

Most Western countries have some sort of pension available at 65 or so, can you get one of those? 

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Since you asked:

Arrived on the shores of LOS some decades ago and fell in love with the women. Still had to work, so only visiting and many trips to the beaches of LOS with a friendly young woman to keep me warm in bed ( which is why I claim to love Thai beaches ).

Got old and stupid, so thought getting married was a good idea. Also assumed I could get pension from home country.

Jump forward some years and I was engaged, moved to LOS to live with beloved.

Discovered I was unable to get pension in LOS, but able to survive on savings so long as family helped me.

Got married.

Jump forward some more years and divorced, no pension and no family to help me.

Left LOS for ( probably ) the final time.

Spend my life wishing I was there and not here. Too cold, too PC, too expensive, no pretty girls.

Why no pension? state pension? pension credit?

22 hours ago, bignok said:

Had I known that you had reading and comprehension difficulties, then I might have made it a little shorter especially for you, however I will leave it up to the moderators to decide what posts will/won't suffice. Unless you are a new moderator of course. LOL!!!

Anyway, you're now going on to ignore, so others can put up with your tardy remarks, but I won't see them, thankfully.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, xylophone said:

Had I known that you had reading and comprehension difficulties, then I might have made it a little shorter especially for you, however I will leave it up to the moderators to decide what posts will/won't suffice. Unless you are a new moderator of course. LOL!!!

Anyway, you're now going on to ignore, so others can put up with your tardy remarks, but I won't see them, thankfully.

Few people will bother with 1000 words. Just the truth. Sorry the truth offends. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Bobthegimp said:

That's a horrible story. Most guys would be testing out their homemade wing suit from the top of a Viewtalay building, yet here you are. Where there's life, there's hope. 

Most Western countries have some sort of pension available at 65 or so, can you get one of those? 

You have to pay into a Social Security Funds in order to get a pension. Many just didn't care when they were young, and then got shocked when they got old. 

22 hours ago, bignok said:

Yeah. These people that dictate their posts tend to get out of hand. There should be a rule that you have to type it in. But it beats being face to face where you can't shut them up. At least you can jump to the next post. 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, gargamon said:

Yeah. These people that dictate their posts tend to get out of hand. There should be a rule that you have to type it in. But it beats being face to face where you can't shut them up. At least you can jump to the next post. 

Or at least make it interesting

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

Why no pension? state pension? pension credit?

Very common for people who come to Thailand when young. Pensions generally require many years of being a good citizen and paying taxes, etc. Both the US and Canada need 10 years fully qualify. 

• Like 1