Chiang Mai Airport plans massive expansion to accommodate 16.5 million travellers

webfact

29 minutes ago, moe666 said:

I guess you missed it but there is a taxi service availible for at least the 13 years I have lived in Chiang Mai

Yes and now easy to use aps: Grab, BOLT, Maxim and more all using GPS, and automatic very reasonable prices, pay Baht cash or Thai debit card.

So why would anybody haggle with a very overpiced RED song taw and driver who doesn't know what day of the week it is and doesn't want to finish the journey?

4 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Airport Taxi 150 baht

Move, the airport? Not going to happen even if a new one were to be built.

Last time it was discussed there was a suggestion to use current a/p for domestic flights and build new a/p for international.

Never happened. 

6 hours ago, alien365 said:

Is there any easy way to get from the airport to the center of town yet or do those red pick up things still run the show?

In 6 years in CM I have never seen a "red pick up thing" at the airport. I use Airport Taxi Service 100% of the time. 150 baht to central CM fixed price.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Last time it was discussed there was a suggestion to use current a/p for domestic flights and build new a/p for international.

Never happened. 

I think that is still the long term plan . Info is online. Starts just off the 1317 ang extends down towards  Ban Thi in Lamphun province 

10 hours ago, alien365 said:

100 baht, sounds good. I thought I'd read on here some time ago that there were problems with installing proper public transport. 

You can as well contact a hooker on Tinder to pick you up on her scoopy...

• Haha 1

Aircraft noise in "central" Hang Dong isn't a great issue - we lived near Bahrain International Airport (less than 2km away) in the eighties and most flights were at night - with the A/C on we never heard them. Big C right next to the airport yes noise is a problem but it's not particularly residental. 

But I seriously doubt if this will occur - yet another fantasy - like the second airport for Chinese travellers.

Priorities for safe air travel:

1.  Extend and widen the runway.  

2.  Install an ILS Cat 3 approach to enable aircraft in less than optimal weather.

Making these changes will enable more aircraft to land.  Also, larger aircraft could come in on a regular basis.  More larger aircraft (B777 or A350) will allow more passenger to arrive and depart with fewer flights.  But of course “TIT” so I doubt these changes are even on the list.  

17 hours ago, scorecard said:

Grab, Bolt, Maxim, Airport Limousine service, all work well, comfortable, door to door, and reasonable fares.

Thanks for reminding me about Bolt! I haven't used them in ages (2 years??). Last time I did, their price was a LOT cheaper than others. I wonder if they've upped their prices since then.... Don't know why I forgot about them....

22 hours ago, webfact said:

The extension plan is aimed at significantly increasing the airport’s capacity, allowing it to accommodate over 16.5 million travellers annually, a huge leap from the current eight million. The airport also intends to ramp up its flight operations to 30 flights per hour, effectively doubling its existing capacity.

Why? It's not like more people are lining up to visit Chiang Mai; its best days as a tourist destination are in the past, not in the future.

I understand why they increase the capacity at other airports like Krabi. But Chiang Mai would be a waste of money, that's already a sizable airport.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Chiang Mai airport is actually ok except for a couple months in the high season. Doesn't feel like it needs to double its size. The new parking area fixes the only serious problem it had. Thai population will start to contract in 2050 if I recall correctly so this will be temporary or driven by tourism. 

Now go back in time to 2019 and see what it was like. It hasn't fully recovered yet from COVID. It used to be a lot worse. You're right though - the car park has helped. 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

Why? It's not like more people are lining up to visit Chiang Mai; its best days as a tourist destination are in the past, not in the future.

the city is growing every year and it's from migration within the country. Constantly new houses are being built everywhere you go. I don't think this is about tourism at all.

• Thumbs Up 2

23 hours ago, scorecard said:

Use the BOLT app, so easy, door to door, always good rates, choice of branded vehicle (moxt exp.), non branded 'econo car' (always reasonable price) and pay by cash or by Thai bank debit card. And can give extra insruction re pick up point etc., to driver. Type in English, submit and it auto translates to Thai for the driver to read, same in reverse driver to passenger. 

Best to state a pick up point away from the taxi mafia who are always at the main exit door to avoid any confrontations.

i like walking after which is usually from 2 days crossing the planet in  a small seat

6 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

the city is growing every year and it's from migration within the country. Constantly new houses are being built everywhere you go. I don't think this is about tourism at all.

I keep seeing new condo buildings going up that no one moves into .

What is the occupancy rate of the 3 "new"  Suplai skyscraper condo buildings near the bus station ?

At night only about 10 % of the condos have lights on 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Nick Carter icp said:

I keep seeing new condo buildings going up that no one moves into .

What is the occupancy rate of the 3 "new"  Suplai skyscraper condo buildings near the bus station ?

At night only about 10 % of the condos have lights on 

yeah that's totally an investor scam an eyesore. What I see being built are low cost housing little developments and townhouses in the 1.5-3 million range and those seem to be occupied and they can never build enough. Chiang Mai is blighted with those also IMO but that's how Thailand is development sadly. 

Current volume is about 8 million, 2019 ~11 million, and having the idea of projecting an achievement of ~16 million without addressing the infrastructure issues first? At least the earlier proposed idea of putting the airport out past Ban Ton Du Sankamphang would have elevated the congestion of the narrow path between the current airport and the city. Coming in from Sankamphang on HWY 1317 and putting a northbound ramp onto HWY 11 would disperse the traffic quite a bit more by utilizing the many routes off the highways.

Edited by novacova

21 hours ago, scorecard said:

OK, but some of the routes are no longer in operation. 

none of them run anymore..think it was a private op...so we know how those go with the tuk tuk and red truck mafia as we see grab guys getting shot.....too bad as it was a nice option ????

signs are still up in cm tho as a bleak reminder as i saw 2 backpackers waiting for it and had to go tell them they could be there for awhile!

19 hours ago, Mark1066 said:

I love a nice walk but not when it's 38 degrees Celsius outside and I have a large suitcase and bag with me.

is why i travel with only a carry on backpack and am dying to get out a plane after 7 airports and 48 hrs transit.......used a large suitcase once................................ONCE

To cope with all those foreign tourists from Europe?

Thought Thailand did'nt want the dirty western farangs?

Anyway, £1,000 plus standard economy airfares from Europe to Thailand v regularly sub £600 return fares from Europe to USA, Brazil, Mexico. To attract western farangs the cost of a (family) holiday to Thailand needs to be more competitive and compelling compared to the global market.

• 2 weeks later...