Whole wheat bread from Makro

SAFETY FIRST

12 hours ago, hughrection said:

You had me until the 'rubber loaf tin' - explain please. ????

11 hours ago, gamb00ler said:

They're probably made of silicon, not rubber.  I have both bread and muffin pans in silicon but have been without an oven until recently.  Soon, I'll resume making bread but this time without an automatic bread machine.

Yes, silicone, that was the word I was looking for. It was on the tip of my tongue but I had  "Biden moment"!

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

What is the difference between All Purpose, Bread and Cake flours please?

They cannot be 'BAD' for you as they are basically wholemeal flour with things taken out, so not quite as 'GOOD' for you.

There is a few Baht difference in cost. I use all purpose when I can't get bread flour - I live out in the sticks. It works OK. Bread flour is supposed to help the dough rise, cake flour is too sticky in a dough I find.

The biggest problem is getting yeast ( I live out in the sticks). A couple of stores sell bread flour, neither sells yeast - one sort of goes with the other really!

9 hours ago, save the frogs said:

Your article concedes that whole grains contain anti-nutrients, but then concludes that if you are getting sufficient vitamins and minerals, it's not a major issue.

It could be, I guess. The human body is so complex, so I will not say that I know for a fact that these anti-nutrients are not causing major problems. 

But you should at least keep track of how many foods with anti-nutrients you are consuming daily, and at some point realize that the math won't add up in your benefit. 

One guy referenced a study in which whole wheat bread and beans were consumed with oysters and very little or none of the zinc from the oysters was absorbed. (but don't quote me on that ...)

You didn’t explain yourself at all. You just quoted my article. 

14 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

The biggest problem is getting yeast ( I live out in the sticks). A couple of stores sell bread flour, neither sells yeast - one sort of goes with the other really!

It's possible to make your own yeast, but takes a bit of time to get it started. I tried it and the resulting bread was good, but I got tired of the maintenance. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/17513/no-commercial-yeast-starter/

31 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

There is a few Baht difference in cost. I use all purpose when I can't get bread flour - I live out in the sticks. It works OK. Bread flour is supposed to help the dough rise, cake flour is too sticky in a dough I find.

Makro, Lazada.

18 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

I had a favorite bread shop on Soi Buakhao but I'm sure there's a witch working there, such a nasty woman.

So, I tried the whole wheat bread from Makro.

OMG, it's sweetened, I can taste the sugar.
These idiots, putting sugar in whole wheat/wholegrain bread, it really ticks me OFF.

Anyone else tasting the sweetened bread 

OMG, you're in Thailand.

17 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Buy a bread maker and make your own.

I've been baking my own for years without a bread maker. But I admit to using my 60 years old Kenwood food mixer. One of the few things I brought from England many years ago.????

3 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

You can order yeast from Lazada, not more expensive than from your local supermarket. I use this one, Mauripan from Australia 95 Baht for 500 g, you won't be ruined and have good dry yeast.

mauripan yeast.jpg

Edited by Dario
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, hughrection said:

You had me until the 'rubber loaf tin' - explain please. ????

What is silicone rubber used for?

Silicone rubber is used in automotive applications, many cooking, baking, and food storage products, apparel including undergarments, sportswear, and footwear, electronics, to home repair and hardware, and a host of unseen applications.

17 hours ago, herfiehandbag said:

4 cups of bread flour, 320mil of water,  2 teaspoons of oil, salt to taste, 1/2 sachet of dried yeast.

5 minutes in a bowl with the dough hook on your cheap as chips mixer from Lazada. Cover the bowl with a 7/11 carrier bag and leave it in the sun for an hour. Put the mix into one of those rubber loaf tins, and give it 30 minutes in the space ship oven (halogen oven).

1 loaf costs about half what a Macro/ Lotus/ Farmhouse loaf does. You control the salt content, you can add sugar if you like. If I am feeling exotic I sometimes add a dash of honey.

I think I’ll stick to my own recipe/ method thanks ????

11 minutes ago, keithkarmann said:

Just like getting fries from Macdonuts with salt covering them. Who wants all that salt? The same people who have too much sugar.

If you are watching your salt, at Maccy Ds, ask for NO SALT and they should cook a fresh batch for you, so you get un-salted and nice and hot.

4 hours ago, KannikaP said:

What is the difference between All Purpose, Bread and Cake flours please?

They cannot be 'BAD' for you as they are basically wholemeal flour with things taken out, so not quite as 'GOOD' for you.

It’s all about the percentage of protein in the flour. Bread flour has a higher percentage. It’s better for forming the gluten. All purpose works and for some types of bread it’s preferred. 

• Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, save the frogs said:

One guy referenced a study in which whole wheat bread and beans were consumed with oysters and very little or none of the zinc from the oysters was absorbed. (but don't quote me on that ...

Ah oysters - they are supposed to be aphrodisiacs aren't they?

The last time I tried them only the first three worked!

Still, a diet of whole wheat bread, beans and oysters should ensure simultaneous eructations front and back as it were!

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Which is????

500g flour

350ml water

10g salt

7-8g yeast 

1 egg optional

15-20ml oil optional 

if you use oil and egg which improves the texture then reduce the water by the same amount.

Basic recipe which I adapt according to what kind of bread..

Sugar is totally unnecessary 

10 minutes ago, Fairynuff said:

500g flour

350ml water

10g salt

7-8g yeast 

1 egg optional

15-20ml oil optional 

if you use oil and egg which improves the texture then reduce the water by the same amount.

Basic recipe which I adapt according to what kind of bread..

Sugar is totally unnecessary 

Thanks, will try next time.