World's biggest lithium reservoir found in supervolcano McDermitt Caldera in Nevada - with $1.5trillion worth of the precious metal that powers world's technology

Social Media

image.png

• The world's largest lithium deposit was found on the Nevada-Oregon border
  • The McDermitt Caldera that formed 16m years ago has about 40m metric tons

There's lithium in thar hills! Great 'white gold' Rush in Nevada sees more than 17,000 mining claims for the precious metal used in electric cars and smartphones... but it's all on tribal land

There is a 'white gold' rush happening in Nevada that has seen more than 17,000 placer claims on lithium, but about three-quarters of the sites are on tribal lands and Native Americans fear their ancestral homelands will be turned 'into a sacrifice zone for electric car batteries.'

One site in particular, Thacker Pass, is expected to produce at least 80,000 tons of the soft metal each year.

This land, however, is where locals claim dozens of Native American were massacre in 1865 and Shelley Harjo, a Fort McDermitt Paiute Shoshone tribe member, stated the project 'will be the biggest desecration and rape of a known Native American massacre site in our area.'

Tim Crowley, vice president at Lithium Americas, the firm that owns Thacker Pass, told DailyMail.com: 'There was extensive archeological work completed at the site as part of the NEPA and National Historic Preservation Act processes. 

'Claims of the conflict at Thacker Pass have also been raised in federal court in Reno and dismissed.'

The US is slowly abandoning gas-powered cars for electrical vehicles in a bid to reduce greenhouse gas emission, but the shift also means it will be more reliant on other countries, like China, to provide the necessary materials.

Extracting lithium on US soil would help the nation on its path to being self-reliant, which is something the country has strived to be, but has yet to obtain.

Lithium mines in Nevada would push America toward the goal, but the mission has been met with criticism by Native American and environmentalist groups, who are specifically concerned about Thackers Pass, The Guardian reports.

image.png

A huge pockmark on the Earth's surface....

If you've ever seen a strip mine it's an ugly ugly thing.....

Money/greed is going to win this thing...

At least it's Nevada, which is already the dumping ground target state for hazardous/toxic waste...Cheap dumping fees & miles & miles of nothingness.....

Nevada is a right to work state which doesn't favor worker's rights.....

• Sad 1

Also, while this is good news for the supply of lithium, there are other batteries in the works that won't use lithium at all. It's likely that ultimately lithium will just prove to be a bridge to other lithium free batteries. One such battery that may one day replace lithium is the aluminum sulfur battery.

https://news.mit.edu/2022/aluminum-sulfur-battery-0824

• Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, pgrahmm said:

A huge pockmark on the Earth's surface....

If you've ever seen a strip mine it's an ugly ugly thing.....

Money/greed is going to win this thing...

At least it's Nevada, which is already the dumping ground target state for hazardous/toxic waste...Cheap dumping fees & miles & miles of nothingness.....

Nevada is a right to work state which doesn't favor worker's rights.....

Guess you don’t like copper wire or many other products lol personally I’d approach the tribes with (a) lots of money (b) a compressive plan on mitigating any damages to the environment (c) jobs for the tribal members (d) better schools (e) the benefits of a cleaner environment for our Mother Earth 

• Thanks 1

On 9/15/2023 at 2:11 PM, Social Media said:

There is a 'white gold' rush happening in Nevada that has seen more than 17,000 placer claims on lithium, but about three-quarters of the sites are on tribal lands and Native Americans fear their ancestral homelands will be turned 'into a sacrifice zone for electric car batteries.'

Has the US government ever NOT reneged on any treaty with Native Americans? I doubt any treaty will save the land this time either. Greed rules these sad days.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

I doubt this will be of major concern for the doomsday cultists who believe pulling Lithium out of the ground is going to save the planet.

The land will be desecrated. End of. Nothing must be allowed to stop the climate extremists.

Woodsmith Mine in the UK demonstrates that mining does not have to destroy landscapes, while there are multiple examples across the globe of communities managing mineral extraction to meet their needs and concerns.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Woodsmith Mine in the UK demonstrates that mining does not have to destroy landscapes, while there are multiple examples across the globe of communities managing mineral extraction to meet their needs and concerns.

???? the same goes for oil…

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

I doubt this will be of major concern for the doomsday cultists who believe pulling Lithium out of the ground is going to save the planet.

The land will be desecrated. End of. Nothing must be allowed to stop the climate extremists.

It's a good thing that fossil fuel extraction and use inflicts so little harm on human health and the environment. Because if that weren't the case, you wouldn't have much of a point, would you? Oh wait a minute...

7 hours ago, novacova said:

After about a 100000 miles/160000km an electric vehicle becomes carbon neutral, that’s not including replacement batteries not to mention all the other ancillaries it takes to mine the some of the other materials using slave and child labor. Prefer to stick with burning fossil, makes humanly sense and economically sense especially for the poorest. 

Care to share your source for that claim? This isn't the fiction forum.

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

https://aseannow.com/forum/158-world-news/

7 hours ago, novacova said:

After about a 100000 miles/160000km an electric vehicle becomes carbon neutral, that’s not including replacement batteries not to mention all the other ancillaries it takes to mine the some of the other materials using slave and child labor. Prefer to stick with burning fossil, makes humanly sense and economically sense especially for the poorest. 

YSE Study Finds Electric Vehicles Provide Lower Carbon Emissions Through Additional Channels

With new major spending packages investing billions of dollars in electric vehicles in the U.S., some analysts have raised concerns over how green the electric vehicle industry actually is, focusing particularly on indirect emissions caused within the supply chains of the vehicle components and the fuels used to power electricity that charges the vehicles.

But a recent study from the Yale School of the Environment published in Nature Communications found that the total indirect emissions from electric vehicles pale in comparison to the indirect emissions from fossil fuel-powered vehicles. This is in addition to the direct emissions from combusting fossil fuels — either at the tailpipe for conventional vehicles or at the power plant smokestack for electricity generation — showing electric vehicles have a clear advantage emissions-wise over conventional vehicles.

https://environment.yale.edu/news/article/yse-study-finds-electric-vehicles-provide-lower-carbon-emissions-through-additional

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41467-021-27247-y

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, novacova said:

How are you going to use fossil in smartphones and computers?

On 9/18/2023 at 8:57 AM, Chomper Higgot said:

I’m many places, yes it does, Shetland and Norway are examples.

The key is community management of projects and enforcing environmental legislation.

Workable legal controls on capitalist greed would also help.

20 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Is this forum much different than social media as you use this a lot.

Debatable point, but seems that I can be more offensive to those I dislike on social media than I can be on here.

Also, young people use social media to bully other young people to the point of suicide. I doubt any poster on TVF/ AN has committed suicide because of what is posted.