Is It Really Cheaper In The Sticks?

LaosLover

1 minute ago, bignok said:

Longan is upper class?

Who knows? I just had my first glass of longan juice ever.

Brought one home to enjoy with some Old Monk Rum, which I found at Maya Mall Rimping. That's a 900 baht rum for 575 (from India, supposedly 7 years old.

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

so there too you can save money. Instead of paying for a gym membership, you end up doing push ups and sit ups and riding your bike on back country roads, which saves a lot of money as well. 

This is like, Don't go to Italy, just eat at The Olive Garden.

Like I said, I lived in the actual sticks (30 minutes to Walmart/McDonalds). I doubt I will again.

But tales of rural bliss are interesting to me and I am very grateful for your generous and information-rich reply.

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

This is like, Don't go to Italy, just eat at The Olive Garden.

Like I said, I lived in the actual sticks (30 minutes to Walmart/McDonalds). I doubt I will again.

But tales of rural bliss are interesting to me and I am very grateful for your generous and information-rich reply.

30 mins isnt much. The true sticks has none for 2 hours.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gecko123 said:

Just to bring this full circle back to the thread topic, I think we are rapidly moving into a brave new world with unprecedented climate change. 

Agreed. Time for an end of the species party.

We all do have to live sustainably, but I just spent the past dozen years growing my own basil. And on the other end of things, good restaurants provide a lot of middle class employment.

When I lived in Laos, there was a lot resistance to eating non-local produce as a matter of pride. I tried a couple of 150 baht peaches and they never did ripen.

Were you a country-oriented person before? Do you think you'll be happy doing a farm life style until to your grave?

I found back to the land living to be expensive. I think each of my home-grown, very wonderful tomatoes cost me between $3 and $5 each. 

5 hours ago, bignok said:

Had one today in bangers 200 baht. Found Khao Soi shop with 69 baht dishes. Bkk has loads of 200 baht shops if you know where to look.

Bangkok also has year-round air pollution, being one of the world's biggest traffic jams. At least it's only 3 months in CR.

I don't remember mentioning food in my post. However, we all know you like to be an expert on everything in Thailand.

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, moogradod said:

To me, Bangkok is - besides Tokyo - one of the most vibrant and interesting cities of the world (which I know).

A dream to sit at the borders of the Chao Phraya watching the boats go by.

Bangkok is the place where I want to die. This is since 1975 when I visited the place the first time. It became a dream since then and I maintain a deep felt intense feeling about the place.

But we do not live there. My family is just moving to a house in a more rural, although central area in Chonburi which is not far away from BKK. By the way my wife does not like BKK.

Apart from Bangkok, I have been to other big cities such as London, Madrid, Tokyo, New York, Chicago and Hong Kong. Too many people, I prefer the smaller cities.

While I have explored a fair bit of Bangkok, it simply does nothing to excite me.

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

Just to bring this full circle back to the thread topic, I think we are rapidly moving into a brave new world with unprecedented climate change. With this in mind, I have been studying potential places to live for many years now, and I increasingly believe that rural Thailand will be high on the list - globally - in terms of desirability and livability in the coming years.

I agree, although Bangkok won't be one of those places unless the Thais start copying the Dutch.

Think of the river system of Thailand as a giant bathtub. Joining up to form the Chao Praya river, culminating in Bangkok. At 1 metre above sea level, it's the drain hole.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, LaosLover said:

Were you a country-oriented person before? Do you think you'll be happy doing a farm life style until to your grave?

No, I lived in mostly large cities: NYC, LA, SF, Seattle. Lived in a lot of areas with a fair amount of traffic noise, and always told myself I wanted peace and quiet when I stopped working. I'm shooting for a blue zone life style, which I believe can be replicated here in Thailand. The key to maintaining a farm life style is maintaining your health, which I'm pretty focused on these days. At some point I realize keeping up with the yard and the gardens may no longer be possible, and I imagine myself moving to a more manageable housing situation with better health care, probably, but only out of necessity, closer to a city.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Bangkok also has year-round air pollution, being one of the world's biggest traffic jams. At least it's only 3 months in CR.

I don't remember mentioning food in my post. However, we all know you like to be an expert on everything in Thailand.

Not an expert just pointing out prices. No need to be bitter.

• Haha 1

Many things are cheaper in the sticks, that is a small Isaan village in my book.

Places like Tops are only to be found in some larger cities.

The main supermarkets are Lotus's, BigC and of course the 7s etc. I would imagine prices are fairly standard across the country.

Yesterday I paid 65 baht for a large bottle of Leo, Chang is 60.

In Pattaya recently I paid 55 baht in LK Metro for a small Leo, happy hour price before 9pm.

A full bowl of pork noodle soup 40 baht.

You can build a small 1 floor house with 2 bedrooms, living room, kitchen and bathroom for 1M baht maybe slightly more or less.

You do need a car but parking is free.

• Haha 1

What about free produce out in the sticks?

I met up with a rural dweller from here and he gave me enough lemons to open a lemonade stand; all of which were gratefully consumed. A lemon off a tree is something that very few people ever get to taste. 

Do you swap with your neighbors? What fruit is most likely to be a deluge?

Any good stories of drowning in mango's?

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bignok said:

Not an expert just pointing out prices. No need to be bitter.

Not bitter, just pointing out dogmatic generalizations are a specialty of yours.

Prices are no guide to quality of service. My regular massage lady in CR ( 150 baht/hr, I give 200 )

provides clean linen on the pillow and mattress, plus fresh ironed clothing. I would not be surprised to learn your 200 baht Bangkok bargains come with clothing and linen that has been used half a dozen times.