Thailand Ranks Ninth in the World for Country Most Open for Business

webfact

3 hours ago, webfact said:

The ranking considers an equal weighted average of five factors comprising bureaucracy, low production costs, corruption, tax-friendly environment, and transparent government regulations.

more corruption , more business- friendly ?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, IamNoone88 said:

Really .. when you can only own 49% of your own business? They need to rethink at least two more points on the list as well.

It's from the US News and World Report, Americans being able to own 100% by the Treaty of Amity.

I know...  Kinda sucks for the rest of you guys.

Edited by impulse
  • Haha 1

Just now, NorthernRyland said:

Once you have your business you can't even buy a house in your name so there's a hard ceiling making you a renter forever. 

If you own and control a company, surely the house can go in a company name?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, lordgrinz said:

Of all the places on Earth, this would be one of the countries I would not want to do business with, no matter how good it looks. I just l couldn't trust anything here knowing Thai's are involved, and how would you know anything is even being properly/legally run? When I see illegal building being built on national forest lands regularly in the news, land documents that are illegally obtained, shoddy building practice's, not to mention the corruption involved with doing business here.......what would be the incentive, other than a greedy piece of the corrupt pie?

Yes, it is  a sad situation.....  I am reticent to be charitable here as I don't trust in the people doing the collecting. I also recently saw evidence of some personal information having been leaked and suspect immigration....

• Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

Fair enough I'm thinking of hiring staff for restaurants or builders, handy men etc... and I've seen those people fail so badly so often. You just can't hold them to American standards of working so don't think you can just come to Thailand and start barking orders and expecting people to show up at exactly 8 AM and do everything exactly like you told them too.

Don't even get me started on "Thai Time", I find my blood pressure won't handle it.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

this is a whole other issue that will make it very difficult to work with Thai's on a higher level. There is a certain degree of corruption with Thai's which makes them see the law as more of suggestion and that spills over into work. 

So many times if you try to get a Thai person to do some job for you, they'll do it up to 90% and then hack the final 10% because it was easier for them, and in their eyes 90% is good enough.

100% of the time they'll fire your ass in America for doing this so good luck to Americans moving to Thailand and trying to work with the Thai's. Just come here to relax and play with the girls but leave the work back home.

The main issue to me is being dragged into court based on who knows what, corruption scandals, illegal operation, forged land documents, etc.  

Just not worth the hassle.

1 minute ago, lordgrinz said:

The main issue to me is being dragged into court based on who knows what, corruption scandals, illegal operation, forged land documents, etc.  

Just not worth the hassle.

my brother is trying to quit his business in Thailand because of the hassles with immigration and multiple times now incompetent accountants have screwed up his taxes and this resulted in paying bribes to immigration to fix the mistakes. Every year they make you do this so you're never at peace.

It's a joke Thailand is an easy country to work in unless you're one man with a wok on a street corner, try that in America and see how far you get.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 minutes ago, NorthernRyland said:

100% of the time they'll fire your ass in America for doing this so good luck to Americans moving to Thailand and trying to work with the Thai's. Just come here to relax and play with the girls but leave the work back home.

Nope.  Only 86.4% chance.

I still remember my summer working for a Fortune 100 oil company, when 5 secretaries came back from lunch at 3:00PM loaded down with shopping bags.  4 of them were fired.  I'll let you guess why they didn't fire the 5th one.

Getting sued for discrimination, not a problem in Thailand.