Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

5 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

My turn for one of those simple questions people keep raising:

From reading what both posters above have written, it seems that the criteria determining whether to file or not, is dictated by whether there is a penalty involved if you don't file, rather than what the RD requires in the tax code! eg:

RD says you need to file if your income is above the threshold.

Posters say, if we don't owe tax, there's no penalty involved if we don't so why bother! Hmmm!

It's difficult to know what to advise others on this, the RD criteria or the posters criteria, call me silly but I'll have to go with the former! 

1 hour ago, Yumthai said:

I usually do not waste my time and energy trying to follow unenforced or unenforceable rules/law. To me, it does not make sense.

To each their own.

I understand your rationale but it seems unreasonable to provide guidance to others by saying that there is a law you can safely ignore because it's not being enforced at present or there's no associated fine, yet. Everyone needs to know what the law says and make their own decision whether to follow it or not.

4 hours ago, bdenner said:

It's started already!! Renewed my retirement extension late Dec. using the 65K rule.

New hoops, as a self funded retiree I had to show em my phone with ASX dividend payments showing tax had been payed. Only gave em one as an example and pointed out the franking credits. Had em knackered, the supervisor spent 45 minutes on the phone before they gave me another 12 months.

I'm going to regard this as anecdotal, probably an Immi officer chancing his luck and hoping.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Uh huh.  News flash - it hasn't "started already".  

Since the new "rule" was scheduled to take effect on 1 Jan 2024, your December extension renewal had no tax implications whatsoever under this new interpretation.

Sounds a lot like a rogue IO trying to earn some extra pocket money.  

OK maybe I should have written "the foreign income scrutiny has started"

Udon Thani Imm office

In 2021 all I needed was my 12 month KBank statement and letter to show 65K per month

In 2022 I needed that plus my Wise receipts showing the transfers.

In Dec 2023 they wanted to see where the AUD was coming from to transfer through Wise eg. Pension, Work payment notification (shlt I'm 75!!!!) etc. None of the above, I had to prove to em I was a self funded retiree so using my phone I produced a recent ASX dividend showing a payment then the deposit in my bank, then show em the AUD transfer to wise.

They wanted me to transfer this lot to their printer using "Line". I told them "NO WAY" their security sucked! I did print the *.PDF of the dividend payment when TAX was mentioned. The print out did show the "Franking Credit" and I explained to them THAT IS THE TAX.

The services of "Miss Dodgy Visa - Udon" is looking better every year.

• Haha 1

57 minutes ago, bdenner said:

OK maybe I should have written "the foreign income scrutiny has started"

Udon Thani Imm office

In 2021 all I needed was my 12 month KBank statement and letter to show 65K per month

In 2022 I needed that plus my Wise receipts showing the transfers.

In Dec 2023 they wanted to see where the AUD was coming from to transfer through Wise eg. Pension, Work payment notification (shlt I'm 75!!!!) etc. None of the above, I had to prove to em I was a self funded retiree so using my phone I produced a recent ASX dividend showing a payment then the deposit in my bank, then show em the AUD transfer to wise.

They wanted me to transfer this lot to their printer using "Line". I told them "NO WAY" their security sucked! I did print the *.PDF of the dividend payment when TAX was mentioned. The print out did show the "Franking Credit" and I explained to them THAT IS THE TAX.

Very true, I use the 65K/mo also. To many hoops and I'll do the same. 

13 hours ago, TheAppletons said:

Uh huh.  News flash - it hasn't "started already".  

Since the new "rule" was scheduled to take effect on 1 Jan 2024, your December extension renewal had no tax implications whatsoever under this new interpretation.

Sounds a lot like a rogue IO trying to earn some extra pocket money.  

What is ASX dividend payments??

I renewed my extension in Oct no problem renewing.

Why is this so complicated my head is spinning with worry, what do I do?

Edited by Badrabbit

5 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Don't worry..... these people will take ages to get their act together.....

Think of the 300 baht tourist departure tax, the 10,000 baht payment to locals and other things dying on the vine. Even the cannabis legalization situation is a confused mess now!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

Reading the comments in this thread it's hard to imagine "don't worry" I'm not well and getting worse everytime I read something about staying in Thailand, I went to my tax office, he said "if you pay tax in your own country you don't have to pay tax here" I left even more worried!

Your situation sounds similar to mine, and I just forwarded  money to my Thai account.....    ( best rate for a while), I am looking out of the window and no tax collector yet! 

No point making yourself ill with worry......

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Don't worry..... these people will take ages to get their act together.....

Think of the 300 baht tourist departure tax, the 10,000 baht payment to locals and other things dying on the vine. Even the cannabis legalization situation is a confused mess now!

Our very own Commander here has 636 posts so far. He's loving this.

• Haha 2

56 minutes ago, Badrabbit said:

ASX = Australian Stock Exchange.

I have a portfolio of "Blue Chip" shares each of which which pay a twice annual dividend. A *.pdf statement is available to me with each payment.

As I said on page one:- "no need to get your knickers in a twist"

5 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This a forum of mostly older people and from what little I read you seem to be instigating fear in many for something that probably won't effect anyone.

Are you bound by some contract to keep posting, i think not. So please stop playing the savior of mankind.

I will be delighted to do so, all anyone had to do was ask. Goodbye.

• Like 1

On 1/8/2024 at 11:40 AM, Mike Lister said:

check you posts every day or so to see if you have said anything that needs correcting this is because you are on my ignore list for being argumentative

Well, here is another very pertinent argument for you.

Before you climbed up that very high pedestal and took the time and effort to compile your very lengthy tax guide.

Did you read, digest and incorporate into your tax guide, any of the following:-

* OECD rules and regulations concerning CRS

* OECD Compliance procedures concerning CRS

* Any additional measures applicable to Thailand as an emerging economy.

Not an exhaustive list by any stretch of the imagination.

I think it might be one of the reasons why no further edicts have been issued by the RD. They and the experts are still pouring over the volumes of paperwork and trying to make sense of it.

• Thumbs Up 1

30 minutes ago, EVENKEEL said:

This a forum of mostly older people and from what little I read you seem to be instigating fear in many for something that probably won't effect anyone.

Are you bound by some contract to keep posting, i think not. So please stop playing the savior of mankind.

Be a good chap and finish this for everyone, thanks.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1316348-a-simple guide-to-personal-income-tax-in-thailand/

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, The Cyclist said:

Well, here is another very pertinent argument for you.

Before you climbed up that very high pedestal and took the time and effort to compile your very lengthy tax guide.

Did you read, digest and incorporate into your tax guide, any of the following:-

* OECD rules and regulations concerning CRS

* OECD Compliance procedures concerning CRS

* Any additional measures applicable to Thailand as an emerging economy.

Not an exhaustive list by any stretch of the imagination.

I think it might be one of the reasons why no further edicts have been issued by the RD. They and the experts are still pouring over the volumes of paperwork and trying to make sense of it.

While acknowledging that you and the other poster have some bit of animosity between you, none of the OECD/CRS procedures is particularly relevant to the average individual attempting to navigate Thailand-specific tax rules.  

Edited by TheAppletons
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, TheAppletons said:

While acknowledging that you and the other poster have some bit of animosity between you, none of the OECD/CRS procedures is particularly relevant to the average individual attempting to navigate Thailand-specific tax rules.  

I think we can ( politely )agree  to disagree on that one

I believe it will, especially for international money transfers.

2 hours ago, Badrabbit said:

... I went to my tax office, he said "if you pay tax in your own country you don't have to pay tax here" I left even more worried!

I did the same years ago with the same answer so that RD advice has guided my attitude to Thai income tax ever since. 

Elsewhere in one of these threads, someone has (provided links that - sorry, my mistake; no links, just a statement) said that RD can look into past tax affairs going back 10 years.

I wonder whether being told "if you pay tax in your own country you don't have to pay tax here" by an RD office in the past - with no proof other than your insistence that it happened - would cover you if investigated. 

Never mind. If it happens, it happens. Too late to worry about things in the past. 

Edited by MartinL
  • Thumbs Up 1

Let me offer one very simple solution for the vast majority of expats who seem to be <deleted>ting themselves mainly USA citizens probably democrats! if your so worried instead of debating and waiting for more info to come out IE FACTS ENFORCEMENT ETC  here's a legit way to cover yourself for the majority of us if your over 55. take a trip to Cambodia on arrival get the ordinary visa 35dollars go to any travel agent and get a 3 month retirement Visa takes about 3 weeks when I last did this only 20 months back! When you have your visa open a ABA account very easy to do transfer funds to there from buissines private pension or whatever you want to keep off the radar, order Thai BAHT from the Cambodian bank as it's an adjoining country to Thailand the legal amount you come into Thailand without declaring it is five hundred thousand BAHT in cash . as a bonus those who have stupidly married in Thailand or are hooked up to a controlling Thai gf it's a great excuse to have some fun in Phnom pen 

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Nonsense, and we're not all old and retired so there's a lot of stuff that will apply to a lot of people - not you perhaps but it will to me and it's important.

So fack off and leave him alone.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Nonsense, and we're not all old and retired so there's a lot of stuff that will apply to a lot of people - not you perhaps but it will to me and it's important.

So fack off and leave him alone.

Sorry if I made him pout, he'll be back. 555

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, MartinL said:

Elsewhere in one of these threads, someone has (provided links that - sorry, my mistake; no links, just a statement) said that RD can look into past tax affairs going back 10 years.

I came across some information on this matter after researching another topic.  It's covered in PWCs 2022-23 tax booklet on page 15.  Link here:  https://www.pwc.com/th/en/tax/assets/thai-tax/thai-tax-2022-23-booklet.pdf

I also found a lot of other useful information in the booklet, so hope they produce an updated one with the new interpretation for 2024 at some point.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

Nope. CRS, and FATCA, don't track international money transfers

No idea why you quoted me and then came out with the above.

I never said that CrS or FATCA track international money transfers.

3 hours ago, JimGant said:

-- they're interested in reporting money earned abroad by citizens of member countries.

What they ( OECD ) are interested in is ensuring that people are not avoiding tax.

Which is why Thailand is  updating the Tax filing form in line with the changes happening from the 01 Jan 2024, which is, to the best of my recollection all to do with the implimentation of CRS.

According to the Revenue Department, it will seek opinions from the stakeholders affected by the new rule and issue guidelines to provide more clarity. The plan includes an amendment of the personal income tax return form to facilitate the foreign tax credit claim.

Would it not be prudent to await confirmation of everything that is included in this amendment before making bold statements ?

Just because foreign tax credit claim is mentioned does not mean that will be the only thing that will be added on the amendment.

No idea how Thailand can claim it is complying with the rules of CRS if they are not checking ( at least once ) that the income remitted is tax paid at source, exempt from tax by being below certain thresholds / covered by a DTA.

52 minutes ago, Mike Teavee said:

As I posted previously I believe that the RD hasn't issued any further edicts because the only thing that has changed is the fact that income earned in previous years is now subject to tax assessment if it is brought into Thailand in future years & they've explained that.

Then why would the experts post something like this ?

According to the Revenue Department, it will seek opinions from the stakeholders affected by the new rule and issue guidelines to provide more clarity. The plan includes an amendment of the personal income tax return form to facilitate the foreign tax credit claim.

I have taken the steps to ensure that it will not affect me, apart from at worse, possibly having to get a TIN and possibly filing a tax return for no monies payable to the RD.

So personally I coundn't care less what they come out with. I am just not convinced that we have anywhere near the full picture yet.

That is not a fact and only my opinion, others are free to believe and do whatever they feel is benificial to their particular circumstances.

I believe it will, especially for international money transfers.

2 hours ago, The Cyclist said:

No idea why you quoted me and then came out with the above.

I never said that CrS or FATCA track international money transfers.

You implied that CRS data was now going to allow determination of foreign income earned by Thai tax residents. That's nice --except because of Thailand's remittance qualification, and because CRS -- and FATCA -- reporting doesn't include remittance information, that ain't going to happen.

Here's a quote from you: "I believe it [CRS] will, especially for international money transfers." My point: international money transfers aren't a data element of CRS reporting.

• Like 1
  • Love It 1