Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

13 minutes ago, Yumthai said:

Those happily married to a Thai national can transfer (in this case from abroad) to their spouse up to THB 20 million in value per calendar year tax free as a gift.

That's an incitement to a lot of divorces... 

15 hours ago, mran66 said:

...don't forget that I recall it was Mr Big Joke who was behind changing the retirement visa requirement from "800k for 2mo" to "800k for 2+3 mo + 400k for 7mo".

As far as I can see, the primary if not only reason for that change was to encourage more retirees to skip the legal route, and get the 10+k bribe per renewal to immigration officers.

Seems Big Joke still thinks too many people skipping the agency approach, and sticking to legal way, thus he need to increase the requirements further to get more people to bribe the immigration staff and forget the bank approach

You are on point with that statement.I've been saying that for years.Agent income is very lucrative and off the books.They get no backhanders for doing it by the book. An office girl next door to Jomtien asked for a 10k fee for something I wanted done a few years ago.She told me the imm guys only gave here 1k for her cut.This last bit of news and confusion will no doubt cause the agent fees to increase.

TBH I pay the agent fees and consider it the cost of doing business here (Visa wise)

TIT 

12 minutes ago, thaibreaker said:

Do that, and your marriage might not be so happily ever after..

Just sayin'.

3 minutes ago, Thorgal said:

That's an incitement to a lot of divorces... 

It all depends on who you are married to. If you can't trust your partner that's indeed an issue.

• Thumbs Up 1

I think retirees should read carefully their tax treaty because it can change a lot depending on the country. Some will focus more on dividend income. Others on rent income or pension income to avoid double taxation. I guess US retirees are safe because they have to pay taxes wherever they go.

The new law will focus mainly on offshore activities made by Thai national who could enjoy tax free business by transfering the money to Thailand the following year.

But it could be possible that retirees, as most of them spend more than 6 months in Thailand, may have to do a proper Thai tax declaration for their worldwide income (as most countries do) with deduction for exempted income which has already been taxed according to the tax treaty. Have to see all the details, but if there is no proper specification in the tax treaty, an income which has not been taxed yet could now be taxed in Thailand, or you could also pay the difference if the tax in Thailand is higher in some cases. It might be a mess if they go this way. Just speculation though.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, GeorgeCross said:

i believe you are required by law to register with the tax office if you are liable to pay taxes and as pensions are covered under section 40 as an income you will all have to. hope i'm wrong as my local bars will get even lonelier, but thats my reading.

Is Section 40 and it's contents applicable to Thai citizens only or all people residing in Thailand?

32 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Jumping in on this issue and raising a related one - it seems to me getting and providing a Tax ID number to their Thai Bank/s might be a wise thing to do for an Expat.  In Aust if you dont provide your tax number (TFN) to a bank, they will tax all your interest earned at the highest rate, but if you give them a TFN thery apply no tax and merely report your earnings and balance to the Taxation Office.  Then it is up to you to declare the interest as income in your tax return.   Perhaps they follow the same/similar process here in Thai Banks - anyone know?

Yes, the same as far as I know and this was the reason I used at the Tax office to obtain my Tax ID while still being on a tourist visa. With the help of a local because they had no English in there in Bangkok and/or didn't want to speak it.

3 hours ago, freeworld said:

No Thailand does not tax savings, only income. Of course there should be a trail which could show that it is savings.

Yes, but where do savings come from?  Past earnings from employment, from investment, from inheritance, from gifts.  All are now deemed taxable income when remitted to Thailand with no time limit on when they arose. In fact overseas inheritance is taxable in Thailand, even if not remitted to the country.  The new RD interpretation of the existing Revenue Code says "income earned in any tax year which means that they can go back as many years as they like to the point that the savings were first accumulated.  Then they can tax the interest.

12 minutes ago, Dogmatix said:

Yes, but where do savings come from?  Past earnings from employment, from investment, from inheritance, from gifts.  All are now deemed taxable income when remitted to Thailand with no time limit on when they arose. In fact overseas inheritance is taxable in Thailand, even if not remitted to the country.  The new RD interpretation of the existing Revenue Code says "income earned in any tax year which means that they can go back as many years as they like to the point that the savings were first accumulated.  Then they can tax the interest.

but only if you bring those monies to Thailand right, whatever that means, sure they can track bank transfers, but atm withdrawals, credit card payments etc could they get into that much detail?

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Thaindrew said:

china also taxing global income now if you are there more than 180 days, that why I moved to Thailand.

When did that start?

I lived there for almost 15 years, returned last year.

Never asked about income outside of China when I went to district revenue office for tax documents needed to send salary out via SWIFT,

4 hours ago, RupertIII said:

Today's update in the Thai Enquirer, seems not just us foreigners that are concerned about all this, in particular the lack of clarity surrounding it.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/50755/opinion-thailands-ambitious-plan-to-tax-incoming-funds-risks-falling-flat-due-to-lack-of-clarity/

Just like the badly thought out cannabis laws. No forethought on what unforeseen consequences might possibly occur.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Thaindrew said:

it started about 2 years ago, maybe a little more, you are obliged to declare it but if they don't ask they don't ask. I have a HK company with an office in Ningbo if I stayed beyond 180 days I was obliged to pay tax on my HK earnings as I dot have to pay tax in HK as a non-resident there. Paying tax to the Chinese Govt in return for nothing didn't sit well so I moved to Phuket.

Hong Kong is China, so I wouldn't consider that global income.

Were you required to declare and pay tax on income from outside China?

9 minutes ago, NoDisplayName said:

Hong Kong is China, so I wouldn't consider that global income.

Were you required to declare and pay tax on income from outside China?

HK is not considered part of China for tax purposes, you can see for example that Thailand has DTA agreements with both separately.

If I stayed in China more than 180 days I would have had to declare my HK income for tax assessment in China. I got out before my obligation commenced initially spending less than 180 days there and now I just do a few business trips back there each year which is easy enough as I still have a valid resident permit

1 minute ago, Thaindrew said:

HK is not considered part of China for tax purposes, you can see for example that Thailand has DTA agreements with both separately.

If I stayed in China more than 180 days I would have had to declare my HK income for tax assessment in China. I got out before my obligation commenced initially spending less than 180 days there and now I just do a few business trips back there each year which is easy enough as I still have a valid resident permit

Okay, I understand.

China is assimilating Hong Kong into the mainland.

There is still no requirement to file tax returns claiming outside income.

China has not joined the exclusive global taxation club.

The original article does not mention pensions but 3 categories?

three groups: individuals involved in foreign stock market trading via overseas brokerages, cryptocurrency traders, and Thais who have previously utilised a tax loophole to bring foreign income into the country tax-free after holding it in an offshore account for over a year."

3 minutes ago, BobBKK said:

The original article does not mention pensions but 3 categories?

three groups: individuals involved in foreign stock market trading via overseas brokerages, cryptocurrency traders, and Thais who have previously utilised a tax loophole to bring foreign income into the country tax-free after holding it in an offshore account for over a year."

yep thats an article from a news site, its not an official translation of the re interpretation of the law by the RD

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Yumthai said:

Those happily married to a Thai national can transfer (in this case from abroad) to their spouse up to THB 20 million in value per calendar year tax free as a gift.

Many thanks for sharing this as it was something I was not aware of, is it possible that you can document this and many thanks in advance.

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Nail on the head hit.  Because of the very strong likelihood of 'errors of interpretation' by Thai Revenue Dept Officers and/or Thai Banks, this is a massive issue for Expats in Thailand.  If it is not cleared up quickly and clearly, with the Thai Govt publicly stating that Expat's pensions and savings will not be taxed, the obvious reality is that they will be taxed.  Even if the Thai Govt did not intend that to happen, there will very likely occur situations where Expats incoming funds are 'taxed' - and the Expat will have to prove to the satisfaction of the Thai Revenue Officer (or Thai Bank Officer) that the funds were taxed in the country of origin in the previous years - which in many cases will be even more impossible than getting the owners/CEO of a foreign health insurance company to certify that their policy meets the Thai Immigration requirements (remember that??).  

If I bring over 5-10 million baht to buy a property, will the Thai Bank 'withhold' 30% as potential due tax?

Will the Thai Revenue Dept demand I prove the funds were taxed in order to have them released?

There are so many other potential issues/problems - and they are potentially very big ones.

The fact that this has happened and none in the Thai Govt has stated anything yet, gives me pause to reconsider whether living here long term is a good idea. Malaysia (Penang) is looking good right now - Plan B.

''If I bring over 5-10 million baht to buy a property, will the Thai Bank 'withhold' 30% as potential due tax?''

The thai bank will not tax it, why would they. Taxes are paid on income and taxes are managed by tax offices. For such a large amount the bank may ask questions and report it to the tax office. After that it is up to you and the tax office to prove that the income is savings and if the taxes have been paid if it was required.

Might be a few that will go dark after 1st Jan and not go to the immigration Depatments ever again. no more 90 days or 3 months showing your 800k is still there.

Yearly renewal retirement visa not bothering.  Many things to now think about. BUY Gold cash it in when needed for cash to live on. Many more older overstayers.

Time will tell

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1