Thai gov. to tax (remitted) income from abroad for tax residents starting 2024 - Part I

5 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

https://www.investopedia.com/ask/answers/06/nonusresidenttax.asp

Dividends are taxed at 30%. Capital gains are not. Let's assume a Thai person buys a home in the USA and then sells it at a profit after a few years. It is called capital gains.

If a Thai or other nonresident foreigner buys real estate in the USA and then sells it at a.profit, the gain is taxable in the USA. Gains on investment portfolios would not be taxable, however, as these types of gains are considered sourced at the location of the taxpayer.

10 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

2024 already; waiting for reports of members who had transfers to Thailand this year...

lol, I sent a wire on Thursday 28th December, 2023 and it hasn't arrived yet.

I'll bet the slackers at my bank in the UK were mostly on holiday between Christmas and New Year and didn't process it. I sent quite a bit more than normal, about 250k Baht and sometimes they send it to their compliance department for whatever reason even though the amounts are relatively low - and I'll bet that's the big office with just one or two staff in there between Christmas and New Year.

Maybe I get it Jan 2.

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, stat said:

There will be no withholding tax deducted in the coming months as a change like this will take years to implement on bank IT Level, not to mention Thai RD would need to confirm that Joe Sixpack is now a thai tax resident at excat the moment he has spend 180 days in Thailand.

A good point, none of us are tax resident here for this year until about the beginning of July.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

I'll bet the slackers at my bank in the UK were mostly on holiday between Christmas and New Year and didn't process it. I sent quite a bit more than normal, about 250k Baht and sometimes they send it to their compliance department for whatever reason even though the amounts are relatively low - and I'll bet that's the big office with just one or two staff in there between Christmas and New Year.

Maybe I get it Jan 2.

Friday was a bank holiday in Thailand so that probably wouldn't have made it here last year regardless.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, ukrules said:

Maybe I get it Jan 2.

Friday 29 - Bank holiday in Thailand.

Monday 01 - Bank holiday in Thailand.

Tuesday 02 - Bank holiday in Thailand.

I reckon Wednesday 03 earliest.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, stat said:

Nonsense, sorry mate. That is just the deadline for the tax calendar year. Starting 1 Jan 2024 you are liable to pay tax on your remittance without any substantial guidance on how profit of this remitance will be calculated (Lifo or Fifo for example etc). I know TiT but this time there are 6-7 digit USD taxes on the horizon for some people.

2024 will be just like previous years.

Last years earnings will not be taxable when remitted.

2025 will be the first year with the new rules. Last year earnings will be taxable when remitted.

• Confused 1
  • Agree 1

20 hours ago, Karma80 said:

Then, spring the "details" on taxpayers retrospectively. Amazing Thailand.

Always the way here, sometimes withers on the vine too......

• Like 1

8 hours ago, stat said:

Nonsense, sorry mate. That is just the deadline for the tax calendar year. Starting 1 Jan 2024 you are liable to pay tax on your remittance without any substantial guidance on how profit of this remitance will be calculated (Lifo or Fifo for example etc). I know TiT but this time there are 6-7 digit USD taxes on the horizon for some people.

Would you not have to be in country for 180 days before any requirement for tax to be payable ?

With a Mar 03/25 deadline for the tax filing.

Edited by Ralf001
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, stat said:

The directive is already "active". Usually law or directives are defined and explained before coming into effect. I also suspect thai RD may just look at your lifestyle and demand proof of how those monies came to Thailand to pay for your rental condo etc...

You can suspect all you want but the likelihood is almost non-existent because there is no basis for launching an enquiry into the Mr Average Joe in Pattaya who pays 20k Baht a month in rent, eats street food,  buys his beer from 7/11 and pays 350 baht for a restaurant meal. IF however, Mr Above Average Joe in Pattaya pays 120k a  month for his Penthouse, drives a McLaren and is always covered in expensive bling, the likelihood increases.

9 hours ago, stat said:

Nonsense, again! 

Liability to pay tax on your remittance does not exist until you have been shown to be tax resident for at least 180 days hence the first important date is not until late June 2024. Thereafter the liability is not due and payable until the tax return has been filed, because deductions and exclusions may outweigh any potential tax on the remittance. The fist potential liability date is not until 1 January 2025, at the earliest.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, ukrules said:

A good point, none of us are tax resident here for this year until about the beginning of July.

3 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Would you not have to be in country for 180 days before any requirement for tax to be payable ?

With a Mar 03/25 deadline for the tax filing.

2 hours ago, Mike Lister said:

Liability to pay tax on your remittance does not exist until you have been shown to be tax resident for at least 180 days

Reposted these 3 quotes.

By reading them in quick succession, for some it might actually sink in.

Then again, I have my doubts.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, stat said:

There will be no withholding tax deducted in the coming months as a change like this will take years to implement on bank IT Level, not to mention Thai RD would need to confirm that Joe Sixpack is now a thai tax resident at excat the moment he has spend 180 days in Thailand.

A rational person with any amount of actual business experience would not even consider the concept that the RD would calculate days and then inform banks in real time that a threshold had been reached and that tax was to be withheld. That said, changes to Bank IT system to with hold tax at source would be a simple matter that could be done in months, not years. Income tax is conducted on the basis of the honor system in most countries, except where deductions of tax at source make it convenient and easy for all parties. Income tax filing and preparation is rearwards looking, albeit the timeframe involved is sometimes reduced from one whole tax year to twice per tax year or six month segments, in the case of the self employed.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, whiteman said:

Got my big lump sum in on the 23rd Dec Happy Days

Hope you earned this before 2023.

If earned in 2023 it is taxable.

If earned in 2023 and remitted in 2024 it would be tax-free, just like it has always been when remitted the year after earned.

This however changes for money earned in 2024.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2
  • Agree 1

My son put in an order for a medium sized transfer from Chase US either late 26 or early 27 west coast time, and Chase emailed me that it had been sent at 6:11 PM Bangkok time on Wed. 27. My Thai bank informed me at 5:21 PM the next day, 23 hours later, that they had it. I will not need to make another wire transfer until 8 to 10 months from now, and I will have records to show the money came from the US Social Security Administration. Best I can do, maybe we will know more by then.

Edit: Looking at the post directly above, I understand this has been the case, but obviously a lot of people like me are assuming '23 earnings will be grandfathered in effect, or the practice of non-enforcement will continue. Luckily in my case I'm not married, no kids here, on a month to month lease, and have a lot of other reasons that a relocation to California would make sense at this point. Happy New Year everyone.

Edited by Enzian
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Incorrect, income earned prior to 2024 is specifically excluded:

https://sherrings.com/foreign-source-income-personal-tax-thailand.html

You are aware presumably that this small tax consultancy firm - which I have no reason to believe isn't competent - have at this moment no more knowledge of how these developments will pan out in practice than any well informed layman?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, jayboy said:

You are aware presumably that this small tax consultancy firm - which I have no reason to believe isn't competent - have at this moment no more knowledge of how these developments will pan out in practice than any well informed layman?

Sherrings, in their link, merely quotes what others have not read or understood, in that respect they are far better equipped than most well informed laymen, or at least better than many AN posters ! They paraphrase the RD announcement, Por 162, dated 20 November 2023, which says that income derived prior to 1 January 2024 is specifically excluded.  The link has been supplied above, all you have to do is click on it and read it.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Incorrect, income earned prior to 2024 is specifically excluded

Not if earned and remitted in 2023 which is the case here.

This has always been the rule 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, tomkenet said:

Not if earned and remitted in 2023 which is the case here.

This has always been the rule 

Actually no, it has not always been the rule, the new rule specifically sets out to change that aspect. Previously, income earned and remitted in the year it was earned, was taxable, if earned in a an earlier year it was not.

• Confused 2

7 minutes ago, Mike Lister said:

Actually no, it has not always been the rule, the new rule specifically sets out to change that aspect. Previously, income earned and remitted in the year it was earned, was taxable, if earned in a an earlier year it was not.

So you think money earned and remitted in 2023 is taxfree?

It's not

10 hours ago, ukrules said:

People who work here are already paying tax every month. As I also get money from my home country, I now have to fill in a form, get the tax department here to fill in their part that I am a tax resident, so I won't get tax deducted from the money coming from the home country anymore.

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1