Drain pipes for kitchen? Blue pipes? Clean water only?

OneMoreFarang

I thought I buy/order some drainpipes for my kitchen.

The existing drainage pipes are 2" blue PVC pipes, so I looked for 2" blue PVC pipes.

I checked on the HomePro website, there are lots of 2" pipes with different classes. The classes seem to indicate the maximum pressure.

And for all 2" blue PVC pipes I see in the description "Use with clean water only."

This is just one sample:

WATER PIPE TIGER CLASS 5 2IN 4M LIGHT BLUE (homepro.co.th)

So are those blue pipes not designed to use for drains?

Or is the "clean water only" lost in translation?

Which pipes (material, class, color) are designed to use for drains in kitchens (including hot water from the sink and washing machine)?

I also visited a HomePro shop yesterday. But the sales guy didn't even know the different sizes of pipes... 

Thanks

For your colour theory yellow is usually electrical but...

42 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

also visited a HomePro shop yesterday. But the sales guy didn't even know the different sizes of pipes... 

Sizes are dimensions nominally in inches. Rating is for the pressure usually 13.5, 8.5 and 5 they are different wall thickness.

If you wish you can use grey for your drains if you can find the fittings. Blue is what everyone else uses. http://www.thaipipe.com/products&services/upvcpipe.htm

Stay away from HomePro and go to a local plumbing supply/hardware store.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:

For your colour theory yellow is usually electrical but...

Sizes are dimensions nominally in inches. Rating is for the pressure usually 13.5, 8.5 and 5 they are different wall thickness.

If you wish you can use grey for your drains if you can find the fittings. Blue is what everyone else uses. http://www.thaipipe.com/products&services/upvcpipe.htm

Stay away from HomePro and go to a local plumbing supply/hardware store.

Thanks

I guess because there is almost no pressure on the drain pipes the Class 5 do the job. Is there any good reason to buy thicker pipes? I don't care if I would have to pay a little more.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought I buy/order some drainpipes for my kitchen.

The existing drainage pipes are 2" blue PVC pipes, so I looked for 2" blue PVC pipes.

I checked on the HomePro website, there are lots of 2" pipes with different classes. The classes seem to indicate the maximum pressure.

And for all 2" blue PVC pipes I see in the description "Use with clean water only."

This is just one sample:

WATER PIPE TIGER CLASS 5 2IN 4M LIGHT BLUE (homepro.co.th)

So are those blue pipes not designed to use for drains?

Or is the "clean water only" lost in translation?

Which pipes (material, class, color) are designed to use for drains in kitchens (including hot water from the sink and washing machine)?

I also visited a HomePro shop yesterday. But the sales guy didn't even know the different sizes of pipes... 

Thanks

Blue is generally used for clean water supply, so better to use some other colour for drainage to avoid confusion later. If the existing drain pipes are blue, that's down to lazy workmen not caring, IMO.

Of course the local home supply may not stock anything else, in which case when in Rome.................................

Edited by thaibeachlovers
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1

11 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Blue is generally used for clean water supply, so better to use some other colour for drainage to avoid confusion later. If the existing drain pipes are blue, that's down to lazy workmen not caring, IMO.

Of course the local home supply may not stock anything else, in which case when in Rome.................................

1" is for clean water.

All other sizes in domestic buildings are for drains. No confusion possible.

Ripped out the kitchen sink drain over the weekend, and replaced with this.

Thai plumbing 7x 90 degree bends in 1m of pipe = impossible for a steel snake to clean.

DIY plumbing 3x 90 degree bends = steel snake now only needs to go through 1x 90 degree bend.

1694925208294.jpg

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1" is for clean water.

1694925208294.jpg

Thought I'd look up google to see if there is a colour code for water pipe in LOS, and google didn't find anything, so I guess it doesn't matter in LOS. Of course, in western countries there are different colours for every purpose.

All the plastic outflow pipes I've seen in NZ are white or grey.

15 minutes ago, transam said:

But it is used for everything, that's why they make blue pipe from 1/2 inch to 6 inch and probably beyond..........????

I assume main supply pipes are the larger diameters. Anyway, we all know that such as colour coding is an unknown standard in LOS, given the number of electrical wires using the wrong colour I've come across.

There is a very good reason for using different colours for different purposes, but in LOS it's Mai Pen Rai, till it all goes horribly wrong.

Edited by thaibeachlovers

1 minute ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Thought I'd look up google to see if there is a colour code for water pipe in LOS, and google didn't find anything, so I guess it doesn't matter in LOS. Of course, in western countries there are different colours for every purpose.

Blue   = water.

Yellow= electric.

Gray  = electric.

Black = electric.

White = electric.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I guess because there is almost no pressure on the drain pipes the Class 5 do the job. Is there any good reason to buy thicker pipes? I don't care if I would have to pay a little more.

No reason. 

• Thumbs Up 1

37 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

1" is for clean water.

Thai plumbing 7x 90 degree bends in 1m of pipe = impossible for a steel snake to clean.

DIY plumbing 3x 90 degree bends = steel snake now only needs to go through 1x 90 degree bend.

1694925208294.jpg

Not only 1" used for clean water. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

FYI for anyone looking for sink drain pipes that you can actually use, here's a link to Lazada. I could not find these blue PVC pipes anywhere in Chiang Mai. It's maddening! Everyone wants to sell a drain pipe "kit" that doesn't often fit the crazy plumber's drain locations where they come out of the wall. This one you can add or subtract to put it anywhere.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4308264476-s17145557009.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=745221259300812&tradeOrderLineId=745221259400812&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

image.jpeg.bbfedf083eb328d9d19cb6a4b18dc254.jpeg

9 hours ago, LAtoBangkok said:

FYI for anyone looking for sink drain pipes that you can actually use, here's a link to Lazada. I could not find these blue PVC pipes anywhere in Chiang Mai. It's maddening! Everyone wants to sell a drain pipe "kit" that doesn't often fit the crazy plumber's drain locations where they come out of the wall. This one you can add or subtract to put it anywhere.

https://www.lazada.co.th/products/i4308264476-s17145557009.html?urlFlag=true&mp=1&tradePath=omItm&tradeOrderId=745221259300812&tradeOrderLineId=745221259400812&spm=spm%3Da2o4m.order_details.item_title.1

image.jpeg.bbfedf083eb328d9d19cb6a4b18dc254.jpeg

All the fittings shown here or their equivalent are available from many places. 

• Like 1

On 9/18/2023 at 11:20 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

Yes, I use 13.5 for for drains inside the house and supply outside. Blue pipe will age and harden hence become more brittle, 13.5 will last longer For supply Inside the house I use only PPR. Should not use blue pipe for hot water, but that not applicable if you use these electric chair like :saai: water heaters.

Edited by Ben Zioner

On 9/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, BritManToo said:

1" is for clean water.

1694925208294.jpg

Best to use two 45 degree bends instead of a 90 degree bend to have less chance of a blockage .

On 9/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Sizes are Normally printed on the pipe in black. different connectors raised dimensions are on the end of the fitting, grey is normally used for low pressure watering systems i.e. open ended. 

On 9/18/2023 at 12:12 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

None of the Thai workmen my wife employed should have been allowed to do the jobs they got paid for, as incompetent. The gate they welded hinges on fell off the next day, the "electrician" didn't know what an earth was when installing the shower heater, the village "electrician" that melted 10 meters of cable, and lots more.

Whatever they did I had to redo it after they left.

Have you considered changing the wife?

On 9/18/2023 at 12:29 PM, thaibeachlovers said:

You could always import...

1 hour ago, recom273 said:

Really? Even my electrician doesn’t do this - “no no no” was his reply.

blue for everything - yellow is for electric inside the house, don’t use yellow in UV it will fall apart within 5 years, apparently (I didn’t know and painted it, instead)

grey is cheaper and for agricultural purposes, although some builders / contractors will use it for electrical for its price, but you are limited on the fittings. Black hdpe is used for irrigation and sheathing of power under the ground. White vinyl is good, deteriorates slowly but is quite expensive. 

@OneMoreFarang don’t buy tiger, it’s really not good pipe, when you cut the smaller diameters with shears it doesn’t cut properly, it bends and tears and you end up with a deformed pipe. As it ages, (I used for my temporary water supply line to site - it snakes above and below ground) it goes really brittle and just shatters.

My plumber and electrician won’t use anything but scg, especially below ground or in / entering concrete. 13.5 is for all underground, although we went for 8,5 for our land drains - 8.5 is fine where there is no external pressure. You made a good move using green PE, I wish I had done this. You can get green PE with colour coded stripes.

There isn’t any PVC primer available here and you should buy decent glue, I was modifying a temporary pvc pipe at the weekend and a glued connection just fell apart - another reason why you should never let your contractor purchase materials. Scg glue costs, Thais don’t generally buy it because it’s more expensive, there are two grades of glue, Thai and Chinese - Chinese being the worst, I didn’t know how bad until last week.

When using a decent glue, it doesn’t work out much more expensive to use green PE and way more secure. 

I have come across so many cowboys building my house, it’s heartbreaking - however, my electrician, plumber are great, I spend all day with them and they explain and educate me - my local builders merchant is a diamond, her English is perfect, her staff all talk to me in Thai that I understand, she questions every purchase and advises me asking the purpose of the product and where I can buy  the cheaper option (scg is always grade a) another reason not to buy from the big name diy stores.

Why isn't electric feed cables in 2" blue pipe underground not OK...?  

It runs alongside the water blue pipe feeding the house......????