Money in the Bank Method

Fellow members,

I've done a search but can't find the answer I'm looking for. My annual extension is coming up and I use the 800K in the bank method. I can't remember if I read it or was told but I've always been under the impression that the bank letter and statement had to be done on the day of the renewal? Speaking to a friend of mine the other day and he says that's wrong and that you can get the letter and statement a day or two before you go to Immigration as he always does. Can the experts on here enlighten me as to what the correct rules are?

Thanks in advance. 

Edited by bluemoon58

The bank letter and bank statement can be obtained prior to day of application. 

Think it's actually up to 7 days prior.

As usual it depends on immigration office.

Note some offices want to see activity in the account on day of application.

This can be done with a small deposit or withdrawal on day of application.

Any reason for obtaining letter early? 

OP you deal with HH.

Here is thread with comments Hua Hin specific.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1268902-advice-on-retirement-extension-hua-hin/

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP you deal with HH.

That thread dates back to August 2022, which suggests to me that @SpaceKadet has recently applied for a further retirement extension at HH. If that is, indeed, the case then maybe he could indicate whether the info he provided in that thread still held good in his experience in 2023.

Edited by OJAS
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, MPoll said:

At Bangkok Immigration they allow the bank letter and year bank statement to be up to 7 days old. On the day of the application I would go downstairs and make a small withdrawal and the update my bank book. 

I went to Chaeng Wattana to have my extension and return permit stamps transferred to my new passport. Reception lady gave me a form to fill in and nodded me through to get a ticket for L section.

Whiled away the morning till lunch (great market in the central section this week, btw). Mid-afternoon, my number came up for Desk 27 where they said I needed bank statements for the last three months for my 800k savings account. Ordered online from Bangkok Bank, a quick run downstairs and they were printed out at the print shop*.

An hour or so later, was called to counter 35 where the young lady in uniform wanted, in addition to the printed bank statements (dated that day) and the copies of the relevant passport pages,  a mini-statement from the ATM (in case I'd withdrawn all the money since the bank statement was printed? who knows? ) so I ran back downstairs for that. She photocopied it, made me sign it, and added it to the growing file. A bit more waiting, a bit more paper shuffling, then she started collecting a huge array of stamps and using them on both passports.

(Meanwhile the grumpy old guy at the next desk started shouting, "I'm single! I'M SINGLE!!!" . The officer, her supervisor and I caught each others' eyes and tried not to laugh; I'm afraid we were not entirely successful.)

One last, short wait till the (I'm assuming) section head officer checked and passed her work and we were done and dusted.

Registering for the TM47 (I used Google Chrome) later that evening took no time at all; immediate email acknowledgement, status now showing online as PENDING.

* In previous visits for my visa extension due to retirement I've gone to my bank on the way to CW to get them to print out the confirmation that funds were received from overseas, but I didn't think that would be necessary for this activity. Not sure what financial info, if any,  they would need for transferring the stamps - I couldn't find a page on the Immigration  website that dealt with this, didn't have the time to sift through these forums to find the correct info - I waited.

In my dealings with Immigration I've always found them patient and helpful and yesterday was no exception. They have a boring, repetitive job dealing with actual mountains of paperwork, and stressed, confused foreigners of all nationalities day in, day out, and I wouldn't do it for ten times whatever they're paid.

[Hope that's enough - but not too much - information]

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Drumbuie said:

status now showing online as PENDING.

This is where things will almost certainly start slowing down considerably for you since CW appear to take an extremely leisurely attitude towards the processing of online 90-day reports!

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OJAS said:

This is where things will almost certainly start slowing down considerably for you since CW appear to take an extremely leisurely attitude towards the processing of online 90-day reports!

It's OK, I'm from the Highlands of Scotland where "manana" is considered to be altogether too immediate a concept..

8 hours ago, bluemoon58 said:

Fellow members,

I've done a search but can't find the answer I'm looking for. My annual extension is coming up and I use the 800K in the bank method. I can't remember if I read it or was told but I've always been under the impression that the bank letter and statement had to be done on the day of the renewal? Speaking to a friend of mine the other day and he says that's wrong and that you can get the letter and statement a day or two before you go to Immigration as he always does. Can the experts on here enlighten me as to what the correct rules are?

Thanks in advance. 

Depending on the regulation in the local immigration office, it's not the same all over.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

I use Citibank (now UOB) that has no bank books. Also there is no office at the Immigration. If I can make an appointment online I can get the statement when the banks open and easily make it to Chaeng Wattana. If not, I goto the bank  the day before. On the day itself I withdraw a small sum from an ATM machine and attach the slip (which shows the balance) to the document. This has always been accepted.

9 hours ago, OJAS said:

That thread dates back to August 2022, which suggests to me that @SpaceKadet has recently applied for a further retirement extension at HH. If that is, indeed, the case then maybe he could indicate whether the info he provided in that thread still held good in his experience in 2023.

Yes, indeed. I extended just a month ago. I updated the Fixed Account passbook on the day of application. The bank code was B/F. I was a bit worried, since I got a new passport this year, so the bank insisted to give me a new book when I asked for the statement letter. But it was all accepted by the IO, no questions asked. In and out in 15 minutes (had an appointment).

However, the immigration charged me 500 baht for visa transfer to the new passport when I did it a month prior to the extension. No receipt, supposed to be FOC.

9 hours ago, MPoll said:

At Bangkok Immigration they allow the bank letter and year bank statement to be up to 7 days old. On the day of the application I would go downstairs and make a small withdrawal and the update my bank book. 

That is my experience too. 2 or 3 years ago, when I was still on married extension, I was sent back for some additional stupid requirement (probably extra photos). I said it's a 2.5 hour drive, but she said that the bank letter was valid for 7 days. This is HH office.

Even at the relaxed Khon Kaen office I was reminded last year to update the bank book SAME DAY (was from previous day as all the years before). The letter can be from one or two days before.

A mate did his extension last Wednesday with letter from Monday and book update same day.

But as usual: depends on office/mood of (new) boss etc.

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Thumbs Up 1

12 hours ago, MPoll said:

You won't get a full 12 month statement out of Bangkok Bank in less than 5 working days. They only do last 6 months at branches. That's helpful!

33 minutes ago, Kalasin Jo said:

You won't get a full 12 month statement out of Bangkok Bank in less than 5 working days. They only do last 6 months at branches. That's helpful!

Get a 6 month statement 6 months before your application and then one on the day.

Better still get 3 off 6 month statements that overlap to ensure they cannot challenge a possible drop off in funds between statements, if your extension is due in December, get 1 end April, end August and the final in December it costs a few Baht more but can save problems.

52 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

Get a 6 month statement 6 months before your application and then one on the day.

Better still get 3 off 6 month statements that overlap to ensure they cannot challenge a possible drop off in funds between statements, if your extension is due in December, get 1 end April, end August and the final in December it costs a few Baht more but can save problems.

Or even better ditch dumb bank and deal with banks that provide  12 month statement on the spot..

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Kalasin Jo said:

Luckily I bank with Kasikorn and can get a 12 month statement on the spot. Otherwise so what if you have to wait? Just plan ahead.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 6:26 AM, bluemoon58 said:

Fellow members,

Thanks in advance. 

Bank letter with latest balance, must be done SAME day that you go to immigration

19 minutes ago, murraynz said:

Bank letter with latest balance, must be done SAME day that you go to immigration

Not according to many first hand posts along with many threads.

This one contains post from ubonjoe.

Actually my understanding is up to seven days prior. 

On 9/20/2023 at 6:35 AM, DrJack54 said:

The bank letter and bank statement can be obtained prior to day of application. 

Think it's actually up to 7 days prior.

As usual it depends on immigration office.

Note some offices want to see activity in the account on day of application.

This can be done with a small deposit or withdrawal on day of application.

Any reason for obtaining letter early? 

OP you deal with HH.

Yes Dr Jack. If I can get the letter day before, go to the IO at 8.30 the next morning, your in and out in a thrice but doing the bank letter the same day means you go to IO much later and you can be in there for 2 hours or more sometimes. 

25 minutes ago, bluemoon58 said:

your in and out in a thrice but doing the bank letter the same day means you go to IO much later and you can be in there for 2 hours or more

We all work out what suits us.

A lot depends on your immigration office.

At CW you can make appointment online and the appointment times run like clockwork.

Also at CW they have most on the banks located lower floor (noted SCB do not).

Also a photocopy/picture/print same level.

personally I prefer to drive later in the day appointment 11am or just after lunch. 

Whatever works for you..

22 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

However, the immigration charged me 500 baht for visa transfer to the new passport when I did it a month prior to the extension. No receipt, supposed to be FOC.

So why did you accept 500B charge being as you knew it was FOC?

4 hours ago, SpaceKadet said:

You do no argue with the Immigration Police.... Can be detrimental to your health, or future extensions.

It was the same last time I renewed my passport and had to transfer visas. 500 baht, no receipt.

Which immigration office? 

Many offices do it for free.

I sort of agree with you in the sense that if my io insisted on 500b,  I would just go along with it.

Similar to some offices charge for certificate of residence and some do not.

"Go with the flow" works for small change. 

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

I sort of agree with you in the sense that if my io insisted on 500b,  I would just go along with it.

Definitely do not make a big issue out of such a charge. On occasion, I have been known to smile at officials and in a joking kind of way say "that is supposed to be free isn't it; will you give me a receipt?" Occasionally, they will withdraw the request for money, but do not try this unless you are good at sizing officials up. Immediately say "only joking" if they seem inclined to resent your resistance. Keep the interaction friendly.

13 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

I am using Hua Hin Immigration office.