Non - O ME in HCMC and Hanoi: Denied!

11 minutes ago, bamboozled said:

Hmmmm so...HCMC off the list and only Savannakhet remains. For how long? Don't walk, run. Thanks for the update. This is very helpful to me.

Who knows? One thing you can count on the rules will change, and unlikely for the better. 10 years ago some people proudly proclaimed overstay wasn't a problem, meh just stay a year and then 20k - and it was true until around 2016. 5 years ago penang was rather easy with plenty of agents fighting over your business. not now.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, circa02 said:

Who knows? One thing you can count on the rules will change, and unlikely for the better. 10 years ago some people proudly proclaimed overstay wasn't a problem, meh just stay a year and then 20k - and it was true until around 2016. 5 years ago penang was rather easy with plenty of agents fighting over your business. not now.  

The immigration plan in resent years, it seems, is to get rid of all the foreign wasters, crooks etc that hold up in LOS, I think it maybe working, together with the 2 year covid shut down....????

• Like 2

9 hours ago, tomaway said:

It looks like I have to pay a new visit to Savannakhet then! ????

Make sure you are not applying on a Monday or Thursday when the queues are often horrific. Assuming no public holidays, Tuesday and Wednesday are much less frantic.

• Like 1

AFAIK; Hanoi NEVER issued that year-long, multi-entry Non-O visa and HCMC changed their policy just before the covid sh*t-show closed the borders to where they wanted proof of 400K baht in a bank account to issue that visa. 
You want that year long, multi-entry Non-O the only consulate in the vicinity that issues it without proof of funds is Savannakhet.

One thing to keep in mind is that there have been several posts by people who went there and were sold just a single entry 90 day Non-O because they didn't have their thai wife with them AND they didn't have a "letter" written from the thai wife asking the consulate in Savannakhet issue the year-long, multi-entry Non-O visa. The first time someone posted it I took it as an aberration and the officer having a bad day, but after the 4th or 5th person said the same thing (that they got only a 90 day single entry) AND the one guy I told to have his wife write a letter to Savannakhet asking for the year visa got his without his wife I started thinking they require that letter again   

12 hours ago, BritTim said:

Make sure you are not applying on a Monday or Thursday when the queues are often horrific. Assuming no public holidays, Tuesday and Wednesday are much less frantic.

^^ EDITED
That is totally the correct info I just talked to two visa run companies (BKK and Pattaya) and they said they RUN Sunday AND Wednesday nights meaning they are there Monday and Thursday
I stand humbly erected ???? err corrected, Sorry for the bad info

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

AFAIK; Hanoi NEVER issued that year-long, multi-entry Non-O visa and HCMC changed their policy just before the covid sh*t-show closed the borders to where they wanted proof of 400K baht in a bank account to issue that visa. 
You want that year long, multi-entry Non-O the only consulate in the vicinity that issues it without proof of funds is Savannakhet.

One thing to keep in mind is that there have been several posts by people who went there and were sold just a single entry 90 day Non-O because they didn't have their thai wife with them AND they didn't have a "letter" written from the thai wife asking the consulate in Savannakhet issue the year-long, multi-entry Non-O visa. The first time someone posted it I took it as an aberration and the officer having a bad day, but after the 4th or 5th person said the same thing (that they got only a 90 day single entry) AND the one guy I told to have his wife write a letter to Savannakhet asking for the year visa got his without his wife I started thinking they require that letter again   

Actually you don't want to be there on a Monday or a Wednesday <- those are the days the agencies from Bangkok and Pattaya show up. Tuesday and Thursday are just walk up with less than 40-50 people, Monday and Wednesday have several HUNDRED in the queue

Unless things have changed, I thought Wednesday was a good day, done it many times on a Wednesday.....????

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tod Daniels said:

Actually you don't want to be there on a Monday or a Wednesday <- those are the days the agencies from Bangkok and Pattaya show up. Tuesday and Thursday are just walk up with less than 40-50 people, Monday and Wednesday have several HUNDRED in the queue

With the exception of Monday traffic your post couldn't have been more wrong. 

The Thai consulate has zero interest in seeing your wife nor do they require any letter from her. 

Also Wednesdays are as easy as they come. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Tod Daniels said:

It shouldn't be much of a surprise if the requirements for a 12 month visa became similar to a 12 month extension.

The E-visa rollout looked like a move in that direction.

6 hours ago, soumanioco said:

With the exception of Monday traffic your post couldn't have been more wrong. 

The Thai consulate has zero interest in seeing your wife nor do they require any letter from her. 

Also Wednesdays are as easy as they come. 

Thanx for that slick,, my question to you is
when did you last get a year long, multi-entry Non-O visa from Savannakhet?

BOTH bangkok and pattya visa run companies show up on Mondays and THURSDAY mornings with their people.
AND
There are confirmed reports of people only getting single entry 90 day Non-O's as recently as last week without their wife although ONE person did get a year/multi with the letter from his wife along with the regular required documents.

EDITED: Sorry I got my wires crossed it's Monday and Thursday mornings you don't want to be there as the agents are there Wednesday is fine. .
My apologies again

savannkhet denied.jpg

7 hours ago, transam said:

Unless things have changed, I thought Wednesday was a good day, done it many times on a Wednesday.....????

Done it many times as in since the covid-sh*t show ended and they re-opened the border at Mukdahan/Savannakhet? or did it many times in years gone by? 

They leave Sunday night and they leave Wednesday night when they go meaning they're at the border at 6AM when it opens on Monday and Thursday mornings.

EDITED to show that I was totally 100% wrong about the days those companies run, They go on Sunday and Wednesday night meaning they are there Monday and Thursday mornings
My apologies people I changed the info as soon as I spoke to them

18 minutes ago, Tod Daniels said:

Done it many times as in since the covid-sh*t show ended and they re-opened the border at Mukdahan/Savannakhet? or did it many times in years gone by? 

I'm only relating what I know from talking to the bigger bangkok and pattaya run companies that lug people to savannakhet and what days they go

They leave Sunday night and they leave Tuesday night when they go meaning they're at the border at 6AM when it opens on Monday and Wednesday mornings.

I was there in March, I "had" to go on a Monday, it was 2.5 hours to get to the window, anyhoooo, Mrs.T was chatting to one of the blokes on the gate, he said Tuesday and Wednesday is their quietist day...????

• Thumbs Up 1

This is ripped of my messenger from someone who was AT Savannakhet with EVERYTHING 3 weeks ago and denied the year Non-O
image.png.84d93f373c7e07ace50f57b8d4ca249d.png
So you can take it with a grain of salt OR you can believe it I have no dog in this fight and just relate info I get from the thai visa related groups

• Like 1

On 9/20/2023 at 6:16 PM, tomaway said:

Hi All,

Due to my job and the frequent travel abroad, the 1 year visa has always been the best option for me.

I just wanted to share with you my 2 last attempt to get a 1 year Non - O ME visa (Thai Spouse) in Vietnam.

My first attempt was in March in HCMC.

I started by sending them an email explaining what type of visa I was looking for. I wanted more explanation regarding the financial proof they expected. ( New to me as Pre Covid, they were asking for none)

They said that only a 3 month bank statement and another letter from the bank showing 20k Thb were enough....

I went there, first thing the employee checked was my bank statement (Just below 400k thb) and he told me that it was not enough for a ME visa as I needed at least 40k thb / month or 400k thb in my account. ( No mention of it on their website nor in their email....)

I ended up going back home with a 3 month Non - O visa......

Failed.

Second attempt was in June and this time I went to Hanoi.

Same thing, I send them an email and they were a lot more clear in their requirement. It made me feels confident that this time would be the good one....

4 days after dropping all my documents, I went back to the embassy to get my passport, I was only given a 3 month visa..... again.

The reason this time was: "We only deliver ME visa for people working in Vietnam...."

Despite the fact that they gave me back the change, 120$, I barely managed to keep calm! 

I left one more time Vietnam with a 3 month visa....

Failed.

I just applied for a 1 year extension on this second visa but unfortunately, I will have to leave the country before the end of the 1 month probation.... Not sure where I will go next time to apply for a new visa....

I hope my feedback can help people to prepare their trip to these embassy.

I had the same experience than you earlier this year.

I also live in Thailand, but working in SE Asia countries. I used to be on 1 year multi entries for years based on Thai child but the last one expired when I arrived in Vietnam in 2020. When the borders started to re-open end of 2021, I started travel again regularly (one a week) between Vietnam and Thailand on visa exempt (staying not longer than a weekend each time in Thailand) but i have been flag at the immigration and advised to get a proper visa.

I tried to get a multi entries visa in HCM and Hanoi, having all necessary evidences about my regular trips, having a work permit in Vietnam, TRC, having family in Thailand (Thai kid), necessary funds, incomes in Vietnam.... also over 50 years old... the best I could get was a 3 months visa.

I ended up proceeding for a 3 months Non O visa in Hanoi (applying for retirement purpose but got it based on Thai child...) and proceeded with 1 year extension in Thailand with multi re-entry permit. 

Apart having to keep 800k in the bank for the extension purpose, I am all good for all these frequent trips.

The number of people who simply cannot or will not work within the system in place used to amaze me... now it just saddens me.  You are the ones responsible for your visa situation and it is your responsibility to keep it up to date, yet invariably when an IO doesn't do it your way you complain about them... The requirements are getting stricter and stricter because there are so many of you that cannot or do not work with the system... you game it rather than just follow the rules... then you complain.

• Confused 2
  • Sad 2

22 hours ago, transam said:

I currently know 3 expats who cannot do anything regarding visa, passport etc. I do a couple of blokes stuff for them. It is down to old age and their gray cells.

So, YOU, get off your high horse and think of others predicaments, instead of your tiny I'm all right box...............:ermm:...........

And they are too broke to use an agent... sounds like poor planning... 

• Sad 5