As a foreigner, are you used to the smell of fish sauce?

DudleySquat

There has been much talk here about Gordon Ramsay opening restaurants in Thailand. We watch almost all of his TV shows. We do learn about the art of cooking and I use things I have seen him do in my cooking. With that said, Mr. Ramsay has a liking for fish sauce in some of his cooking.  

I can't stand the smell. 

A few years ago I walked by the kitchen while my then-wife was preparing something that didn't require fish sauce. Yet, it smelled as if she had spilled some in the utensil drawer.  It didn't require a cleanup to get rid of the smell. It required three antibiotics. 

Why would anyone eagerly pour something that smells like a vaginal infection on their food?  Yes, it is a disgusting comparison, but it is right on the money, isn't it? 

If it is so good, is it so good for you? 

That's a valid question, too.  Rotting fish guts cannot possibly be good for you. Is it? 

Edited by DudleySquat
  • Confused 3
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

Are you talking about nam pla ra or nam pla?  The latter is very inoffensive and I use it a lot. As a condiment I find the 'Abalone' brand delicious.

Nam pla ra, on the other hand, is quite pungent. I have developed a taste for it however and often use it as  dressing on som-tam Lao, Korat etc., and on Western-style salads. I'm a big fan of blue cheeses (especially Blue Stilton - a popular British cheese) and I detect some of the same flavours in pla ra.  You need to choose brands carefully, some are overly salty. I prefer the long-fermented slightly sweet pla ra.

Blue cheese does not smell a lot try Esrom or Harzer roller 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

There has been much talk here about Gordon Ramsay opening restaurants in Thailand. We watch almost all of his TV shows. We do learn about the art of cooking and I use things I have seen him do in my cooking. With that said, Mr. Ramsay has a liking for fish sauce in some of his cooking.  

I can't stand the smell. 

A few years ago I walked by the kitchen while my then-wife was preparing something that didn't require fish sauce. Yet, it smelled as if she had spilled some in the utensil drawer.  It didn't require a cleanup to get rid of the smell. It required three antibiotics. 

Why would anyone eagerly pour something that smells like a vaginal infection on their food?  Yes, it is a disgusting comparison, but it is right on the money, isn't it? 

That's a valid question, too.  Rotting fish guts cannot possibly be good for you. Is it? 

Have you heard of Hakarl (rotting shark) a delicacy in Iceland and Greenland.  Or perhaps Surstromming (canned fermented sea herring) a delicacy in Sweden that is the entire fish, rotting guts and all.

With regard to knowledge of the smell of vaginal infections I must bow to your superior knowledge and experience.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find that the smell/taste totally depends upon the brand… some brands I find quite ok and others not so. I have always assumed that it is the cheaper brands that I find not okay but maybe that is not actually correct.

• Love It 1

14 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

I can't stand the smell. 

And the amount of Sodium yuk 

14 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

I can't stand the smell. 

I've no knowingly smelt an infected vagina. But I like fish sauce. Nam bla prik.????

I don't mind the smell of fish sauce. Combined frying with basil it can launch a fit of sneezing though.

The smell of pla ra on the other hand is horrendous to these nostrils. I've banned it in the house, forcing the missus to covertly sneak it and eat it in a spare room, like she's doing drugs or something. ????

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Andyfez said:

My wife gets the munchies before bedtime, and brings a dish of somtum into the bedroom before she can sleep.

The remains sit on the bedside table all night often......

Somtum in the bedroom. 

No way !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :shock1:

• Like 1

Funny story about nam-pla. My first ever experience of both LOS & fish sauce was on an overseas  posting to Europe in 1987, with a stopover in Bangkok. I stayed in Embassy accommodation with a mate & we got a bit sloshed the first night on beers initially, then Mekong whiskey. The Oz embassy back then had two condo's at Jomtien for free, so we got a lift down there in the Embassy car (a Benz). The driver spoke little English but as we drove to Pattaya, my mate saw a stall selling what looked to us exactly like the whiskey we drank the night before. He got the driver to stop & we bought two bottles of 'Mekong', or so we thought. Dirt cheap too, we were amazed - only about 50 baht a bottle - same exact bottle, same label. As we drove on my mate, a big Geordie, decided that a 'crack of the whip' would do wonders for his hangover. He opened a bottle & took a huge swig. The embassy Merc almost got a spray. "(expletive) - it tastes like bl**dy fish !" You guessed it - we had just found out that they make nam-pla down in Rayong & sell it on the side of the road. Better him than me - many laughs later on as we worked it out. Like a few on here - if it is in the food then OK, but even after 23 years of marriage, the smell still bothers me ....

Which one is it that gives you liver flukes and liver cancer?

'Cause I'd like to avoid those.  I'm actually afraid to eat some great looking/smelling street food because I can't tell if they use a commercial bottled sauce (safe, I figure) or their homemade secret formula (dodgy?)

44 minutes ago, Aussiepeter said:

Funny story about nam-pla. My first ever experience of both LOS & fish sauce was on an overseas  posting to Europe in 1987, with a stopover in Bangkok. I stayed in Embassy accommodation with a mate & we got a bit sloshed the first night on beers initially, then Mekong whiskey. The Oz embassy back then had two condo's at Jomtien for free, so we got a lift down there in the Embassy car (a Benz). The driver spoke little English but as we drove to Pattaya, my mate saw a stall selling what looked to us exactly like the whiskey we drank the night before. He got the driver to stop & we bought two bottles of 'Mekong', or so we thought. Dirt cheap too, we were amazed - only about 50 baht a bottle - same exact bottle, same label. As we drove on my mate, a big Geordie, decided that a 'crack of the whip' would do wonders for his hangover. He opened a bottle & took a huge swig. The embassy Merc almost got a spray. "(expletive) - it tastes like bl**dy fish !" You guessed it - we had just found out that they make nam-pla down in Rayong & sell it on the side of the road. Better him than me - many laughs later on as we worked it out. Like a few on here - if it is in the food then OK, but even after 23 years of marriage, the smell still bothers me ....

Ha Ha,

Thought you were going to say it had 91 Gasohol in it. :shock1:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, DudleySquat said:

I can't stand the smell. 

All the British TV chefs seem to use some green top squid-based stuff, which I detest and can ruin many Thai dishes. I like what must be the most popular Thai fish sauce, which has to be Tiparos, made from fermented anchovies, which I have consumed gallons of over the years without problem and which should be good for you too, given that the anchovy is a source of omega-3 and selenium.