As a foreigner, are you used to the smell of fish sauce?

DudleySquat

8 minutes ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

that would be sangsom......keeps my motor running!

Back in the day.

SangTip,  SangSom,  Mekong, all used for storing Gasohol at the side of the road. and anything else that has a top on it.

Edited by quake
  • Thumbs Up 1

Well, its all about growing the right receptors.

2002 I thought "darn, that will kill the cat" but now I am used to it and actually like the smell.

Was it not the same as toddler?

I couldn't stand cabbage, sprouts, onions and so on..

But my parents never treated me to eat it.

They did exactly the opposite and told me, "you are too young to eat that" and so I challenged myself untill I developed my taste to it. 

I remember my first Burger at Mc Vomit... What a disappointment where all my friends cheered the first MC D in our town. After a few I started to like them.. 

• Thumbs Up 2

Never understood some europeans who obviously did not make it back home in Europe, come to Thailand, get married or start a relationship with a thai lady, but continue to say impolite and nasty things against the Thai¨s. (and sometimes against other foreigners too).

Do you think your partner is a fool ? She can understand and at the first occasion, she will cheat behind your back.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

16 hours ago, HauptmannUK said:

Nam pla ra, on the other hand, is quite pungent. I have developed a taste for it

The eight step program for going full-on native.

Khao San

Yoga Mat

Sak Yant

Fisherman Pant

Tee Rak

Khorat

Khao Na

Pla-Rha..

Col. Walter E. Kurtz  ????

I've always strongly disliked the smell, and stayed away from it.   That is until I took a cooking class and learned how to make tom kha gai using all fresh ingredients, and learned how 3-4 dashes of fish sauce make such a beautiful addition to the layers of flavor in the soup.  That is ALL I use it for though, but for that alone it's worth stocking a small bottle. 

21 hours ago, still kicking said:

You got the wrong person I don't know any vegans just the smell 

how quickly ones memory fades as you were in quite the panic not too long ago..

do I need to track down your posts to refresh your memory or you just gonna play coy?

so I guess since you say I have the wrong person its clear you are a troll and/or a liar...

(readies block function-as the list grows day by day)

On 9/25/2023 at 1:46 PM, stix40 said:

I have a sniff from a nam pla bottle every morning,

It wakes me up ! ????

Also, if one has stumbled home winless and alone after a night of bar trawling and still hankering for some distaff company, a tiny dab of nam pla on the upper lip, just below the nostrils, will help you when you crack one off at the wrist thus ensuring a good night's sleep.

11 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

how quickly ones memory fades as you were in quite the panic not too long ago..

do I need to track down your posts to refresh your memory or you just gonna play coy?

so I guess since you say I have the wrong person its clear you are a troll and/or a liar...

(readies block function-as the list grows day by day)

Are you drunk? I am not a troll or liar. I don't know any vegans just keep eating your sticky rice, to add this I never been blocked by any body 

Edited by still kicking

I think that there are more than a few on here who are rather tame. "Nam Pla" or fish sauce is a common ingredient and not extreme in Thai cooking or condiments. 

The real culptit is "Gaeng Tai Pla" which is almost, or maybe is, "Pla Ra". My ex wife was from the south (NST) and she would bring small bottles of this shiite back to the UK after every trip to Thailand. We had teflon coated saucepans which she used, and this stuff would taint those pans so much that I tried to ban her from cooking with it (didn't work). Used in "Som Tam Pla Ra" in Isaan. The full description and Wiki link below. 

Kaeng tai pla

Description

Kaeng tai pla is a curry of southern Thai cuisine. Its name is derived from tai pla, a salty sauce made from fermented fish entrails, which gives the curry a strong smell and flavor. This curry is usually served with fresh vegetables in a separate plate and eaten along with steamed rice. Wikipedia

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Also, if one has stumbled home winless and alone after a night of bar trawling and still hankering for some distaff company, a tiny dab of nam pla on the upper lip, just below the nostrils, will help you when you crack one off at the wrist thus ensuring a good night's sleep.

That's why the moustache is so popular here in Thailand.

The flavour saver ! 

I am shocked at the amount of people that like this vile condiment. To some extent i can understand the liking of the normal fish sauce and the sometimes use in food. some people love anchovies but i detest salt or anything salty

However the homemade stuff is just too much to bear makes me feel sick when i smell GFs mother cooking with it. I have to close all the doors to stop the putrid smell getting into the rooms

Went to her relatives and they gave her about 3 buckets full, back home they were testing it by the spoonful. You must be all marmite lovers

13 hours ago, still kicking said:

Are you drunk? I am not a troll or liar. I don't know any vegans just keep eating your sticky rice, to add this I never been blocked by any body 

Kudos to you then.....as you get what you wish.....last note before blocking--go back and search for the Topic VEGANS..you know the one YOU posted about.....talk about drunk...seek help...

5 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Kudos to you then.....as you get what you wish.....last note before blocking--go back and search for the Topic VEGANS..you know the one YOU posted about.....talk about drunk...seek help...

I talked about Tash Peterson who stormed in the restaurant while I had dinner. 

On 9/25/2023 at 6:42 PM, animalmagic said:

Have you heard of Hakarl (rotting shark) a delicacy in Iceland and Greenland.  Or perhaps Surstromming (canned fermented sea herring) a delicacy in Sweden that is the entire fish, rotting guts and all.

With regard to knowledge of the smell of vaginal infections I must bow to your superior knowledge and experience.

Never been there, but I've been told the smell of kimchi is quite pervasive in Korea, and not particularly pleasant.

Durian was banned in public in Singapore. Signs to that effect in public places.