PM claims foreign corporations now more at ease about investing in Thailand

webfact

2 hours ago, webfact said:

He told a news conference today (Sunday) that one of his duties during the visit was to inform world business leaders that Thailand is open and ready to welcome all foreign investors, as he talked about his meetings with executives of Microsoft, Tesla, Google and JP Morgan, during which he asked them to consider investing in Thailand.

Please come and bail out our poor country.

38 minutes ago, nobodysfriend said:

All foreign investors ...?

What about granting land ownership to foreign investors ...?

What about easing the overstay rules ?

Thailand is not a liberal country with a functioning democratic system .

Too many coups as well to be confident in investing here ...?

He just wants to paint a picture of Thailand that is not ( yet ) true .

He is speaking about business, not retirees.

What about granting land ownership to foreign investors ...?

Foreign investors can own land 100% freehold inside designated Industrial zones where most investors want to locate. Other sectors outside industrial can be affected more, but many large corporate can live with 30 year leases- in fact many of them dont want to tie up their capital in land and buildings. Most of the big hotels dont own the land either nor do they really want to. They just operate the hotels.

What about easing the overstay rules ?

Its completely irrelevant to what he is talking about for business.

Thailand is not a liberal country with a functioning democratic system .

Too many coups as well to be confident in investing here ...?

Coups is an issue, but underneath the top fighting things plod along in most sectors regardless of who is in power. None of the bickering political factions want to kill the goose that lays the golden egg.

He just wants to paint a picture of Thailand that is not ( yet ) true .

• Thumbs Up 1

It’s okay asking these companies but what was there reply back to him dare I say maybe we will consider it in the future when there is a democratically elected government in place with zero military interference I can just see Ellen Musks big smirk on his face when the PM asked him for his billions !

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, crazykopite said:

It’s okay asking these companies but what was there reply back to him dare I say maybe we will consider it in the future when there is a democratically elected government in place with zero military interference I can just see Ellen Musks big smirk on his face when the PM asked him for his billions !

You are aware Tesla's largest manufacturing base is in China are you? I dont think Tesla care about Democratic elections. Google have already announced 6 months ago they are investing billions for Google Cloud and Amazon have already started developing a number of data centers in Thailand.....

• Haha 2

Make visa issues and life more simple for the retirees who spend. Any retiree who owns property in Thailand even if a small place, will always end up in spending more then any 2 week stay tourist.

Make the banks be more foreigner friendly to open accounts for foreigners or tourists and stop asking for those absurd residence certificates or certified photocopy translations from embassies for each and every formality - mainly in some DLT offices where the staff can be rude, not speak a word of english and invent new documents to show. Even if the website says someting different. 

If not,  the people will just leave the country with their good money as the retirees all over thailand contribute substantially to bring in money.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, webfact said:

For instance, he said, he asked Microsoft to invest in developing a regional data centre in Thailand, a project which requires at least US$5 billion in investment, and Tesla to invest in building an electric vehicle assembly plant in the country.

would they be forced to " only own" 49% of the company, have to go thru the unnecessary mind blowing paper work & duplicate/triplicate copies, etc., .... if so, I doubt they or anybody else would be interested

18 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

would they be forced to " only own" 49% of the company, have to go thru the unnecessary mind blowing paper work & duplicate/triplicate copies, etc., .... if so, I doubt they or anybody else would be interested

They own 100%? Why would they not? Why would they need to give Thais 51% of their business?

AWS have invested here, Google have already announced they are investing, Microsoft typically follow AWS.

Yeah there is paperwork, but they are big companies with big resources so a bit of paperwork is not going to put them off... thats why they pay lawyers.