Calls for clarification of new Tax regime which appears to target expat foreign income sources

webfact

1 hour ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, if the prime minister is worried about "chronic inequality", he could do a lot against it addressing such inequality in country, rather than trying to screw a few expat pensioners...

The article is wrong written.

Of course he looks for Thais in first place because thats the big money…

• Confused 4
  • Thumbs Up 2

16 minutes ago, Thailand J said:

For US retirees, the tax treaty exempts SS and pension incomes but it does not  help with capital gain (CG) and dividends incomes.

Based on my limited knowledge I made a table below, I am sure it's full of mistakes and it is over simplified, but the idea is that if you have CG and dividends from US and if Thai gov decided to tax them, you can only deduct taxes paid in US.

I am going to get insurance and apply for 10 yr LTR if I have to pay income tax  here. I have met other requirements.

Screenshot 2023-09-26 060049.png

If the money is from capital gains and dividends theoretically you would pay Thai capital gains and dividend tax on it not income tax.

Currently 15% and 10% I believe. A tax form would have to be filled out at some stage declaring where the money came from, it would be fraudulent to state it was income if it came from CG or dividends.

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, alanrchase said:

If the money is from capital gains and dividends theoretically you would pay Thai capital gains and dividend tax on it not income tax.

Currently 15% and 10% I believe. A tax form would have to be filled out at some stage declaring where the money came from, it would be fraudulent to state it was income if it came from CG or dividends.

May be you are referring to Capital gains and dividends from SET listed companies.

I don't know much about Thai tax rates at this point, I hope you are right.

Edited by Thailand J