Calls for clarification of new Tax regime which appears to target expat foreign income sources

webfact

15 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Surely the logic of this nuts idea would be that ALL foreign ATM charges are now going to have to include thai income tax at X%, since it is basically the transfer of money from abroad and would need taxing at the same rate as bank transfers - TAT will shoot this down before any opposition does

the implication is that we would be obligated to do a year end tax return if "tax resident", so earliest tax would have to be paid would be march 2025 for a 2024 declaration - so they won't be deducting money as its sent in but tax applied based on the tax return. The downsides of this are that they may not believe the tax return and apply "penalties" and damn it gives them more time to put a system in place as it doesn't need to be all in place on Jan 1.  

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

12 minutes ago, Tom H said:

Just pay with a credit card from a Thai bank account abroad. You even can get money from ATM in T. linked to a Thai account abroad:). 

Or just let the money fly in.

or, or, or.

I wont tell you all online????

don't use a Thai address on your overseas account

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Dionigi said:

I think that the expat angle is being exploited by the media writing for the English speaking market. This will not affect most expats as they come under the agreement not to double tax income. This is aimed at Thais who have investments abroad and pay no tax in the country where the income is generated and have got away with not paying tax here due to the tax rules that allow such income to be tax free.

please let me know which countries where you can have investment income, but do not need to file a domestic tax return.  ?

• Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, smedly said:

it was stated that citizens of countries with a tax agreement would not be not be involved, my income (UK) is already taxed in the UK, my earnings over the years was already taxed, can't speak for everyone of course - some might be laundering money here which would never hit a bank anyway - good luck taxing that

perhaps concentrating on earners in Thailand Thai and foreign who have incomes here would be a better approach

You do realize laundering money requires a bank right? It's kind of the whole point.

11 minutes ago, paddypower said:

please let me know which countries where you can have investment income, but do not need to file a domestic tax return.  ?

USA. As long as I keep earning withdrawals on investments below $12.5k. Which is no problem under the current White House administration.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

15 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Kind of curious how Thailand expects to get access to US or other non-Thai bank records, transactions that result in Capital Gains, other passive income, etc.?

The honesty method?

"Hi, Thai tax authority. I just sold my Hampton's summer home for $38 million, after buying it in 2008 for $7 million. How much of that gain do you want?"

The same way they enforce murder.  They make a law.  Banks accounts in Thailand require a W9 filing in the US at least.  I wouldn't put it past the US to reciprocate.  It's common among countries with tax treaties.  The difference between murder and tax evasion is the penalties for tax evasion are higher.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

34 minutes ago, RichardColeman said:

Exactly - so, how can you tell the difference between a 'resident' taking money from abroad rather than using a bank transfer and a tourist if they are using a foreign visa card ? You can't hence they would need to attack tourists as the tax would be lost on residents removing foreign money.  

Also in the UK you are not taxed on a certain level, I think it will be hard for Thailand to implement a system of tax on a sum that needed no tax paid on it !

Personally I think they would just say a tax on monies over a million baht up. Smaller would not be worth it and could it the tourists that may have a thai account

The 183 day rule makes the distinction in most countries.  

2 hours ago, Nabbiex said:

Out of curiosity,

if we, expats, may be taxed, then will we be entitled to receive any Thai benefits such as Thai state pension, Thai personal tax income, family benefits, disability allowance, and so forth?

Wow! You could possibly get more out than you put in. Although come to think of it, TIT

6 hours ago, webfact said:

image.jpeg

The announcement of a change to the tax code, with respect to taxation on the overseas income of foreigners who are resident in Thailand, is raising eyebrows and requires further clarification. Comments last week by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin that the measure addressed chronic inequality will not assuage fears that a move is afoot to increase the tax liability of foreigners living in Thailand, raising questions about passive and possibly retirement income in the future.

The tax change which has already been defended by Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin as a move against income inequality, is coming with Thailand in talks with economic powers such as the European Union to put in place new trade and investment pacts.

It comes after the previous government had launched long-term visa regimes highlighting the zero tax imposed by the Thai government on income not generated in Thailand. This new move is already causing anxiety among foreigners living in the kingdom with passive income from abroad as well as retirees who are still thought to be exempt from tax. However, for the new tax regime to generate extra revenue to fund government stimulus efforts, some foreigners must end up paying more.

There are growing concerns among foreigners about moves by the new Thai government to widen the country’s tax base. They fear this could lead to all incomes earned by foreign residents in the kingdom being subject to tax. It follows an announcement by the Revenue Department in mid-September which is leading to calls for greater clarification and indeed for the government to make it clear that there will be no attempt to impose tax on retirement or pension income from abroad.

calls-for-clarification-of-new-regime-income-tax-foreigners-overseas-income

On September 15th, the Revenue Department in Thailand issued a clarification stating that from the 1st of January 2024, it planned to tax foreign income on all individuals in the kingdom who have been resident in the country for over 180 days.

by Joseph O' Connor

Full story: Thai Examiner 2023-09-26

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

seems like they want a piece of the 60,000 baht required to be sent to Thailand monthly from abroad for. the retirement visa as well.... or 40,000 monthly for those with a marriage visa. Guaranteed increase in income for the government and we really can do nothing about it if wanting to stay in Thailand. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Tom H said:

or you transfer 10M Baht in 2023 to avoid tax for the next 10y?

????Ony for the rich (non tax payers) of course

I transferred 5M ten years ago, but now it's time to change course by liquidating all with no tax payers????

Edited by BE88

50 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Kind of curious how Thailand expects to get access to US or other non-Thai bank records, transactions that result in Capital Gains, other passive income, etc.?

The honesty method?

"Hi, Thai tax authority. I just sold my Hampton's summer home for $38 million, after buying it in 2008 for $7 million. How much of that gain do you want?"

I believe Thailand is joining the Common Reporting Standard as of 01 January 2024. This means that a person's financial information will be shared between signatory  countries to the system.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1