UK economy ‘will shrink for two years as eurozone and US grow’

Social Media

They are giving the US far too much credit. A son of a friend of mine works for a large investment bank in Texas. They have been laying alot of people off, anticipating a major recession and economic correction. It is coming and forget about a soft landing. Many retailers in the US are hurting. Consumer confidence is very low. And both the real estate market and the stock market will drop significantly in the next two years or so. Many non mainstream experts are predicting this. 

• Like 1

More doomsday predictions for the UK.????

Be prepared for a small, largely unreported follow up article in a year or so where growth exceeded expectations and forecasts have been revised. But not until the bitter Rejoiners have regurgitated all the old lies and cliches for pages and pages, such as the UK not returning to pre pandemic levels (another doomsday story later proved to be a lie).

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/uk-economy-gdp-covid-pandemic-rebound-ons-figures-statistics-growth-recession-decline-b1104209.html

image.png.735b15edea8d207b5b04b97cb927f3bd.png

Back in reality, it is the Eurozone that is struggling.

https://www.ft.com/content/148adc6b-98f3-4655-a92b-913a232c9eef

image.png.18a4376bb724741e071925fe987fbcb6.png 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/19/recession-hit-germany-is-facing-a-flurry-of-global-headwinds-goldman-sachs.html

4 hours ago, JonnyF said:

More doomsday predictions for the UK.????

Be prepared for a small, largely unreported follow up article in a year or so where growth exceeded expectations and forecasts have been revised. But not until the bitter Rejoiners have regurgitated all the old lies and cliches for pages and pages, such as the UK not returning to pre pandemic levels (another doomsday story later proved to be a lie).

https://www.standard.co.uk/business/uk-economy-gdp-covid-pandemic-rebound-ons-figures-statistics-growth-recession-decline-b1104209.html

image.png.735b15edea8d207b5b04b97cb927f3bd.png

Back in reality, it is the Eurozone that is struggling.

https://www.ft.com/content/148adc6b-98f3-4655-a92b-913a232c9eef

image.png.18a4376bb724741e071925fe987fbcb6.png 

https://www.cnbc.com/2023/09/19/recession-hit-germany-is-facing-a-flurry-of-global-headwinds-goldman-sachs.html

Lol! They changed the calculation method!

https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/grossdomesticproductgdp/articles/impactofbluebook2023changesongrossdomesticproduct/2023-09-01

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, youreavinalaff said:

They changed the calculation method for predictions into the future to become more believable? ????????????????.

You did not understand what JonnyF comment and the linked articles were about (the past GDP)? :biggrin:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

8 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Maybe UK should join BRIC. 

Steady on. We didn't leave the EU just to replace it with a different set of faceless bureaucrats from Beijing, Bombay, Brasilia or Babayeva telling us what to do! 

(Confession time: Yes, I know Bombay is now called Mumbai. I also admit that I had to search for "Cities in Russia beginning with B").

• Haha 1

We (the British public) have just been told of a string of MoUs related to trade deals with a number of individual US States which will boost the economy.

Hands across the sea. Peace in our time. I feel like all my birthdays have come at once????

Edited by PETERTHEEATER
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/27/2023 at 1:12 PM, Ben Zioner said:

Good. They had everything to become the leading economy within the EU yet their delusions led them to leave. 

The "leading" economy? What does that mean? The biggest?

Because even if we had become the biggest, the EU is a Franco German led organization which would never let the British be a dominant force. They very much wanted to put the British "in their place".

Clearly their massive over-reach has backfired as the Eurozone looks set to sink into recession without us.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/08/eurozone-sinks-into-recession-as-cost-of-living-crisis-takes-toll

Nah, we're better off out. Next up, adios to the ECHR. See ya... ????

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, PETERTHEEATER said:

We (the British public) have just been told of a string of MoUs related to trade deals with a number of individual US States which will boost the economy.

Hands across the sea. Peace in our time. I feel like all my birthdays have come at once????

Jokes aside. What practical benefits will this MoU bring to either side? I can only assume that this is an election ploy by both Sunak and the Governor of Washington ("Look what I've done for you. I've signed an agreement with a billion/trillion dollar economy").

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/uk-and-washington-state-trade-cooperation-innovation-and-clean-energy-memorandum-of-understanding#:~:text=Policy paper-,UK and Washington State trade cooperation%2C innovation and clean energy,US%2C signed 25 September 2023.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JonnyF said:

The "leading" economy? What does that mean? The biggest?

Because even if we had become the biggest, the EU is a Franco German led organization which would never let the British be a dominant force. They very much wanted to put the British "in their place".

Clearly their massive over-reach has backfired as the Eurozone looks set to sink into recession without us.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jun/08/eurozone-sinks-into-recession-as-cost-of-living-crisis-takes-toll

Nah, we're better off out. Next up, adios to the ECHR. See ya... ????

That's a good incentive for EU countries to do like UK and change the GDP calculation method by widely applying the SUT framework, in order to increase GDP numbers.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, candide said:

That's a good incentive for EU countries to do like UK and change the GDP calculation method by widely applying the SUT framework, in order to increase GDP numbers.

You are claiming that the U.K changed its figure compiling methods to give a higher GDP figure .

Can you give a link to support that claim ?

5 hours ago, candide said:

4 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You are claiming that the U.K changed its figure compiling methods to give a higher GDP figure .

Can you give a link to support that claim ?

See my previous post quoted above.

I did not claim that their intention was to increase numbers (although it is possible). The method takes into account more activities, so it leads to higher numbers.

Other European countries have not fully applied this framework, so numbers are not any more comparable.

Edited by candide
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, candide said:

See my previous post quoted above

The U.K made the data collection more efficient and up to date and the released figure more concise  .

The update in the data collection wasnt done to give a false impression of the actual figures , it was done to make the figures more accurate , France already  has similar methods 

10 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

The U.K made the data collection more efficient and up to date and the released figure more concise  .

The update in the data collection wasnt done to give a false impression of the actual figures , it was done to make the figures more accurate , France already  has similar methods 

From the article:

This article will cover the indicative annual and quarterly impacts resulting from changes to sources and methods, as well as confronting the year 2021 through the SUT framework for the first time.

France has started applying the SUT framewok but not to the same extent as UK. Most other European countries haven't.

I never claimed it was to give a false impression, as the new method is allegedly better. It's just that it makes comparisons less relevant, until other countries apply it fully.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, candide said:

From the article:

This article will cover the indicative annual and quarterly impacts resulting from changes to sources and methods, as well as confronting the year 2021 through the SUT framework for the first time.

France has started applying the SUT framewok but not to the same extent as UK. Most other European countries haven't.

I never claimed it was to give a false impression, as the new method is allegedly better. It's just that it makes comparisons less relevant, until other countries apply it fully.

You did say that the U.K is changing its method of collecting data in order to give a higher GDP figure .

But the figure will just be more accurate and it could be higher or lower or the same .

The change was for accuracy, rather then to give a higher figure 

• Confused 1

29 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

You did say that the U.K is changing its method of collecting data in order to give a higher GDP figure .

But the figure will just be more accurate and it could be higher or lower or the same .

The change was for accuracy, rather then to give a higher figure 

Don't put word into my mouth, I did not say that. I said that changing the method leads to GDP number increase ( as explained by the ONS). It's not only an issue of revised inputs.

• Thumbs Up 2