Stick Your Mister Where The Sun Don't Shine

Neeranam

20 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

The people selling clothes in Patong did it when i lived there.

26 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

Is it just me, or do others get annoyed being called 'mister' everywhere you go?

Some tell me it is Thais trying to be respectful, but I disagree, I think it's disrespectful. People who know show respect by say 'khun' or 'ajarn' Neeranam.  

Can't remember any Thai calling me Mr. Perhaps you hang out in the wrong places.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Of course its based on race...  They see a white skinned foreigner and assume you are not Thai, so call you Mister...  its rather polite of them in fact.

There were only about 5 people in this premium clinic. 

And another thing, the nurses adamantly told me I couldn't use my Social Security in that clinic, then the doctor told me I could if I go after 4pm. Maybe this is why I was offended at the way they called me mister, as they were discriminating against me, based on my ethnic backround.

O divine Master, grant that I may not so much seek to be consoled as to console, to be understood as to understand,

• Like 1
  • Confused 9
  • Sad 2

5 minutes ago, bob smith said:

The worst of all is when you hear the dreaded "herrroo, welcome" 

or the classic "where you come fom?"

and not forgetting the golden oldie "how long you stay thai rand?"

Bored to the teeth of these uneducated yokels to be honest.

Or one I get often -  'you have Thai wife'? 

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Can't remember any Thai calling me Mr. Perhaps you hang out in the wrong places.

In the last month, I've been to different hospitals, they all called out 'Mister Neeranam'. This includes private hospitals. 

It states quite clearly on my ID card 'nai'and also on the records these nurses have.

Edited by Neeranam
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2