Getting 30/60 day extension to current multi entry Non-O visa to visit wife....

I think I have this correct but would like to check with my brothers and sisters here on Thaivi...I mean Asean Now. My Non-O multi entry visa (to visit wife) will expire in about 10 days and I am planning to go to Savannakhet to renew. However, isn't it true that I can get a 30 or 60 day extension at immigration here in CM "to visit Thai wife"? And one can receive that once per visa? My last visa was issued in Savannakhet and I have not yet used this option. If indeed I can get this extension, is there anything in following this path that would prevent me from getting a new Non-O in Savannakhet  once the extension expires? That is, with this extension, I am able to kick the proverbial can down the road for 30 or 60 days. (I can't recall if the extension is for 30 or 60 days). Would immigration/the consulate look poorly on this? Thoughts folks?

Thank you!

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

This thread covers lot of points for ME Non O 

https://aseannow.com/topic/1303919-non-o-visa-and-when-to-start-extension/

Thanks Jack. Do you have any knowledge about whether there would be an issue to get a new visa at Savannakhet after doing a 60 day extension on my current visa? Hmm, the visa is now expired, come to think of it. But I have a valid stamp until next month. It occurs to me that I prob can't do the 60 extension because the visa is expired. That makes sense, yes?

2 hours ago, bamboozled said:

Thanks Jack. Do you have any knowledge about whether there would be an issue to get a new visa at Savannakhet after doing a 60 day extension on my current visa? Hmm, the visa is now expired, come to think of it. But I have a valid stamp until next month. It occurs to me that I prob can't do the 60 extension because the visa is expired. That makes sense, yes?

You are extending your permission to stay, not your visa. You should still be able to apply for a sixty day extension to visit your wife. My last visa expired in 2010 and I have continuously extended my permission to stay every year since then. So have thousands of others.

Edited by Mutt Daeng
  • Like 1

When you are in Thailand on a Permission to stay based on a Non Imm O Visa (be it for Retirement or Marriage or any other reason), you cannot apply for a 30-day extension of stay at your local Imm Office, as such 30-day extensions are ONLY for those that entered on a VisaExempt or Tourist Visa.

But when you are married to a Thai national you can ALWAYS apply at your local Imm Office for a 60-day extension of stay for reason of visiting your wife and it doesn't matter on which Visa you entered Thailand (be it VisaExempt, Tourist, Retirement or Marriage). 

So in your case - married to a Thai national - you can apply at your local Imm Office for a 60-day extension of stay.  Such application can be done once for EACH entry into Thailand.  So those that have a MultipleEntry Non Imm O Visa and are married to a Thai national can apply after every entry in Thailand (which will provide them with a 90-day Permission to stay).  So if it is cumbersome to do the border-hop every 3 months, one could also extend every 90-day Permission to stay with a one-time 60-day extension for reason of visiting your wife.

To answer your last question > Immigration will not have any objections for you doing so, as you would be fully compliant with all Immigration requirements. 

Cheers and success!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, bamboozled said:

I have done the 60 day extension a few times on a multi-O and then gone to Sav......????

• Like 1

That's good news, fellers, thanks so much. It sounds like that will work out. I have been told in the past by another poster here that the 60 day extension to visit wife can be done once per visa and not once per 90 day entry. I've never tried to use it more than once so not sure which is correct. I'll report back when all is said and done.

Cheers!

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, bamboozled said:

Well shoot....never knew that. Could reduce the number of border bounces. Is it 1900 baht?

Yes, the cost for the extension at immigration is 1900 baht.

To help you in future: My Non O ME Visa based on marriage to Thai from Savannakhet was issued in August of last year. I returned to Thailand the day after issuance, then extended that 90 day permit another 60, so I didn't actually leave Thailand until late January. I did a one day border bounce to Singapore on the day my permission to stay ended and received another 90 day stamp (to stay until late April). In April I extended that for 60 days until late June. I did another border bounce in mid-June, which gave me 90 days and would have taken past the expiration of the visa. I could have stay here and just extended that for 60 days, but I chose to leave Thailand the day before expiration to get a new 90 days stamp, which I ill extend for another 60 (so 17 months+).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AgMech Cowboy said:

Yes, the cost for the extension at immigration is 1900 baht.

To help you in future: My Non O ME Visa based on marriage to Thai from Savannakhet was issued in August of last year. I returned to Thailand the day after issuance, then extended that 90 day permit another 60, so I didn't actually leave Thailand until late January. I did a one day border bounce to Singapore on the day my permission to stay ended and received another 90 day stamp (to stay until late April). In April I extended that for 60 days until late June. I did another border bounce in mid-June, which gave me 90 days and would have taken past the expiration of the visa. I could have stay here and just extended that for 60 days, but I chose to leave Thailand the day before expiration to get a new 90 days stamp, which I ill extend for another 60 (so 17 months+).

Thank you, Cowboy. Wish I had known this a decade ago. Oh well, better late than never...

On 9/30/2023 at 6:55 AM, Lite Beer said:

Your Wife will have to go with you.

Is it really as simple as that? No documentation required e.g. proof of income, passport photos, etc?

One more question: Can a single-entry Non 'O' visa be extended for 60 days in the same way? 

Thanks.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/29/2023 at 11:50 AM, bamboozled said:

That's good news, fellers, thanks so much. It sounds like that will work out. I have been told in the past by another poster here that the 60 day extension to visit wife can be done once per visa and not once per 90 day entry. I've never tried to use it more than once so not sure which is correct. I'll report back when all is said and done.

Cheers!

Hi all. My "report back" that I said I would do. I've had to go a completely different route due to unforeseen circumstances (not related to the above info) and got a Non-O based on retirement. I appreciate all the input. That route didn't work out for me but surely will be of good service for some other folks.

Onward we go, cheers, Bam.

On 9/29/2023 at 12:26 PM, bamboozled said:

Well shoot....never knew that. Could reduce the number of border bounces. Is it 1900 baht?

You can stay in Thailand almost 17 months before applying for a new Non Imm O ME, with 3 x 60 day extensions and only 3 border runs.

All extensions are 1,900 baht.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can somebody help with what I did wrong. I have a multi non o marriage rom savannakhet which I got July last year. My 2nd 90 day entry expired last week so I went just before to CW to extend for the extra 60 day but was refused and only offered 7 days. I spoke to a few other officers afterward to confirm and they all said the same thing. Only 7 days extra allowed. I quickly had to arrange a flight out and back. Any ideas? 

I don't know for sure but I would suspect that because you missed your 90 day report within the 90 day window (I think that's what you're saying), you lost that opportunity. I missed mine once but was close to a border and exited, paid the 4 day overstay fine, and re-entered without any long-term consequences. Needless to say, I was scared that I had screwed myself...lost track of the 90 days.

On 1/12/2024 at 6:19 PM, VintageTQ said:

Can somebody help with what I did wrong. I have a multi non o marriage rom savannakhet which I got July last year. My 2nd 90 day entry expired last week so I went just before to CW to extend for the extra 60 day but was refused and only offered 7 days. I spoke to a few other officers afterward to confirm and they all said the same thing. Only 7 days extra allowed. I quickly had to arrange a flight out and back. Any ideas? 

Did the wife go with you and what documents did you take.

It's standard to give only a 7-day extension when refused any other extension.

On 1/13/2024 at 11:38 AM, bamboozled said:

I don't know for sure but I would suspect that because you missed your 90 day report within the 90 day window (I think that's what you're saying), you lost that opportunity. I missed mine once but was close to a border and exited, paid the 4 day overstay fine, and re-entered without any long-term consequences. Needless to say, I was scared that I had screwed myself...lost track of the 90 days.

You don't submit any 90 day reports when using the Non Imm O ME visa.

• Like 1