⟺ You Believe in GOD: Do You Believe GOD is Trustworthy?

GammaGlobulin

16 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Or, at least, populated by readers who never studied FORMAL LOGIC in a serious way at university Two semesters of Formal Logic at McGill University, in my case. 

Those unable to read continue to populate this thread so I think I'll leave it to them to post without my input.

On 9/29/2023 at 3:12 PM, ChrisKC said:

gods, thousands and thousands of them are things not beings and therefore are common nouns, not even requiring a capital letter.

And even supposing there was that something you believe actually exists, you are up against all the other gods that millions of other people believe in -  quite irrationally!

Therefore your question is unnecessary and irrelevant!

If there was even more then one God, you would see evidence of competitiveness in them.

On 9/30/2023 at 10:44 AM, Walker88 said:

And what happens when you find out it's Allah or Krishna or Zeus?

It will be too late.

Religious fanatics get all silly when they imply their morality is superior. The 'faithful' think they can be evil their entire life, then repent at the last second, and because they've bought into a superstition, they get a reward denied to others who might have had a far superior morality and rarely if ever 'sinned' while living generous and noble lives----all because they questioned a woman's lie and a plagiarized deity tale (Joey, I swear god knocked me up; I'm a VIRGIN).

Pascal's Wager---which you are trying to use to put the fantastical fear of eternal damnation into others---was really a horse race with a very crowded field. You chose your winner, forsaking all the others. Others forsake all of them. Your odds are not really any better; you just believe they are. The joke's on you.

As for what the OP asked, this is a free Forum. The OP is welcome to tell me to go to Hell, as you have implied I will go.

Repenting at the last second won't help, as he already knows your heart long before that. People can do evil and turn themselves around, if they have a conscience. One doesn't need to be a religious fanatic to believe in God. It's a personal thing between you and him. You only get one chance, and have to make that choice before you die. Just like all those here that pray for the dead. It's a waste of time. You can't pray another person into heaven. Their life choices already does that for them. Once they're gone, nothing will change anything. It's all up to them what to believe when they're still alive.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 9/29/2023 at 9:05 AM, Celsius said:

I don't think you believe in God.

You shall not question God. 

"Who among you fears the LORD and obeys the voice of his servant? Let him who walks in darkness and has no light trust in the name of the LORD and rely on his God."

Amen

And Whose god are you referring to? There are hundreds of gods and religions in the world many many are thousands of years older than christianity.

Many of them are splinter group gods, and many of them claim that theirs is the one true god.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

And Whose god are you referring to? There are hundreds of gods and religions in the world many many are thousands of years older than christianity.

Many of them are splinter group gods, and many of them claim that theirs is the one true god.

My weiner

8 minutes ago, billd766 said:

There are up to 4000 religions worldwide, but the majority of them are Christianity, Hinduism, Islamic, Buddhism and Judaism. Buddhists don't believe in a God because Buddha didn't feel there was a need for one, although not rejecting the possibility. So his followers are led to believe in what he personally believed, a man.  Christians, Jews, and Islamics believe in God, meaning one. Like I mentioned earlier, if there was indeed more than one God, you would see evidence in them trying to one up each other. Only one God which doesn't show himself, yet, is based on our faith. Believing in statues, The Gods of Olympus, trees, people or anything else as divine is against Gods commandments. And there was God before Christianity anyway. Religions are man made, and most are just a man's opinion, who was followed by other men, just like all who believed that Hitler was right.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

There are up to 4000 religions worldwide, but the majority of them are Christianity, Hinduism, Islamic, Buddhism and Judaism. Buddhists don't believe in a God because Buddha didn't feel there was a need for one, although not rejecting the possibility. So his followers are led to believe in what he personally believed, a man.  Christians, Jews, and Islamics believe in God, meaning one. Like I mentioned earlier, if there was indeed more than one God, you would see evidence in them trying to one up each other. Only one God which doesn't show himself, yet, is based on our faith. Believing in statues, The Gods of Olympus, trees, people or anything else as divine is against Gods commandments. And there was God before Christianity anyway. Religions are man made, and most are just a man's opinion, who was followed by other men, just like all who believed that Hitler was right.

And you truly believe that your religion has the one true god and that billions of people across the world are wrong.

Good for you.

Never mind that your faith is based on a book that has little substance in reality.

You do realise that Jesus was not even christian or Jewish, but a Palestinian.

That your bible new testament was written hundreds of years after the event by people who were not even born at the time of the events.

1 minute ago, billd766 said:

And you truly believe that your religion has the one true god and that billions of people across the world are wrong.

Good for you.

Never mind that your faith is based on a book that has little substance in reality.

You do realise that Jesus was not even christian or Jewish, but a Palestinian.

That your bible new testament was written hundreds of years after the event by people who were not even born at the time of the events.

I've read the Bible, among other books, and was raised Catholic from birth to when I just realized all I had to do was believe, and not follow any religion. I truly believe that there is one God, and yes, billions are wrong. Someone has to be right, right? Or are there many gods like you say. And as I said, if there were, they would be fighting for attention. Jesus was a Jew. A person that believes in Jesus Christ and his teaching is a Christian. Jesus died a Jew.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

God isn't a human so isn't a "him", and God can do anything, including exterminating a pesky species that behaves badly. The next big asteroid might not miss.

I trust that if they could, they would not.  Furthermore, it seems pointless to create laws of physics, and then tinker with them for your own satisfaction, out of spite towards the disobedience of your creations whom you have given free will.  I don’t believe in a childish God, and will  continue to believe that my misfortunes are the result of my own carelessness, and not vengeful judgement from On High.

17 hours ago, Mark Nothing said:

By definition God is all powerful, all knowing and ever present.  Trustworthiness is a biproduct of this power.

I pray daily for God's blessings on my body and soul.  The results reinforce the power.  The false idols fall like dominos of insignificance.

A funny aspect to this question is both the believers and nonbelievers get to be right.  The believer reap the benefits and the nonbelievers don't.

It is profound watching the ramblings of those under the influence of false idols stuck in the mud fighting to retain their ignorance of this omnipotent power. 

Is God Woke?  Are we judged by different criteria than our forebears of centuries and millennia past?

How can you trust a God with changing values?

How can you trust a God with value systems of vanished civilisations?

Maybe that’s why they vanished, and if they’d been Woke, we might still be living under Roman rule.

20 minutes ago, StreetCowboy said:

Is God Woke?  Are we judged by different criteria than our forebears of centuries and millennia past?

How can you trust a God with changing values?

How can you trust a God with value systems of vanished civilisations?

Maybe that’s why they vanished, and if they’d been Woke, we might still be living under Roman rule.

God hasn't changed anything since he made his laws. The vanished civilizations you speak about are all of us now. We aren't under Roman law because Rome was built by a group of narcissists, that fell because of decadence and a false sense of security of power. Spartacus was one who proved them wrong. Corruption, division of it's leaders, and others who weren't going to be controlled any longer. Evil never wins in the end. There's a reason evil loses world wars. You can't beat those with God on their side. God is way ahead of any man's thinking. What man has created the earth or anything living? You can say a man and a woman creates a child, or a male and female of any species creates their offspring, but that was because God made it happen by design.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

I've read the Bible, among other books, and was raised Catholic from birth to when I just realized all I had to do was believe, and not follow any religion. I truly believe that there is one God, and yes, billions are wrong. Someone has to be right, right? Or are there many gods like you say. And as I said, if there were, they would be fighting for attention. Jesus was a Jew. A person that believes in Jesus Christ and his teaching is a Christian. Jesus died a Jew.

I was brought up as a protestant as were my parents for generations before, but when you are a child you know no better. I left home at 15 and joined the RAF and went to church parade every Sunday.

That is where I found that there were far more religions and I also found that whilst we British believed in god, so did the Germans, the French and other countries when they were fighting on our side or against us.

I thought about that, and could not understand how any god could be on more sides at the same time. I still cant.

Both Prussia and Germany had ' gott mit uns' on their belts. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gott_mit_uns

Then I realised that the christians were killing muslims simply because each believed that THEIR god was the only true god and all other worshipers were heretics and had to convert or be killed.

I looked at the christian god who is compassionate, kind and loving, yet let men, women and children of all ages, races and religions die of cold, hunger, thirst and disease by doing nothing. Prayers were no help, religion was no help. Donations to churches were no help. The belief of everlasting life after death means nothing means nothing as nobody has ever come back again after death to prove it.

I have come to the conclusion that religion is simply a belief. You either believe in something or you don't, and in the end it doesn't really matter.

I am sorry for rambling on.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, fredwiggy said:

God hasn't changed anything since he made his laws. The vanished civilizations you speak about are all of us now. We aren't under Roman law because Rome was built by a group of narcissists, that fell because of decadence and a false sense of security of power. Spartacus was one who proved them wrong. Corruption, division of it's leaders, and others who weren't going to be controlled any longer. Evil never wins in the end. There's a reason evil loses world wars. You can't beat those with God on their side. God is way ahead of any man's thinking. What man has created the earth or anything living? You can say a man and a woman creates a child, or a male and female of any species creates their offspring, but that was because God made it happen by design.

I don’t think God is bound by the laws that monotheists interpret, but rather he may be bound - or may respect - the laws that scientists observe and deduce; not because their observation, but because those are His laws that he defined as part of creation.

I don’t think that God interferes in my daily affairs, and my own misfortunes are my own fault. Others might believe in the omnipresent omnipotence of God, but I am sceptical that my misdeeds could sway his maintenance of the laws of physics or the progress of life on Earth - for me or for others.

7 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I was brought up as a protestant as were my parents for generations before, but when you are a child you know no better. I left home at 15 and joined the RAF and went to church parade every Sunday.

That is where I found that there were far more religions and I also found that whilst we British believed in god, so did the Germans, the French and other countries when they were fighting on our side or against us.

I thought about that, and could not understand how any god could be on more sides at the same time. I still cant.

Then I realised that the christians were killing muslims simply because each believed that THEIR god was the only true god and all other worshipers were heretics and had to convert or be killed.

I looked at the christian god who is compassionate, kind and loving, yet let men, women and children of all ages, races and religions die of cold, hunger, thirst and disease by doing nothing. Prayers were no help, religion was no help. Donations to churches were no help. The belief of everlasting life after death means nothing means nothing as nobody has ever come back again after death to prove it.

I have come to the conclusion that religion is simply a belief. You either believe in something or you don't, and in the end it doesn't really matter.

I don’t think that religions are relevant to God any more than Atlases are relevant to mountains.  The mountain was there before the Atlas, and however it is drawn in the Atlas has no effect on what you find when you get there.  You can always change your Atlas, regardless of what its author might say.

21 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Trust me, I don't get why so many innocents die from nonsense diseases, power hungry narcissists kill their own people and live long lives. I just understand that none of us lives forever, and I believe there is a place where there is no more pain. This world is a sick place, where rich scumbags ruin it for others, rape for profit, and couldn't care less because they have all the money they need for stupid women, Dom Perignon, Cocaine and Caviar. Hitler, Stalin, Pol Pot, Kim Jong Un, Putin,Gaddafi, and many others led their people to believe their way was right, and millions followed. many of who were Christians. Religion has killed many because some people abused it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, fredwiggy said:

If there was even more then one God, you would see evidence of competitiveness in them.

Yours is a statement built on false logic, or rather no logic at all. Of course religion requires the absence of logic in order to work, so par for the course.

What would this 'competitiveness' look like? The breakfast cereal aisle at the supermarket or toothpaste commercials on TV? "Believe in me and I promise whiter teeth and fresher breath !"

If these gods always existed, 13.8 billion years is chump change. Perhaps they take turns creating a Universe, putting in a Planck's Constant and all the other things a Universe needs to behave a certain way, then let it play out over a trillion years or so. Then the next team of deities takes their turn and lets it run a trillion years or so.

Or maybe one god is looking for praise and thanks (quite human frailties qualities), and an impish competitor god tosses in a major tsunami that turns some people away from the first god.

Humans have this provincial view that it is 'progress' or 'civilized' to abandon polytheism and adopt monotheism. The Greek gods got tossed, and then the Roman gods. So did the Scandinavian gods. Hindus have retained 10 million gods, holdouts that they are. Non-believers just eliminate even the last fantasy, and have zero gods.

You are a non-believer with respect to Thor, Zeus, Allah, Krishna and all the others. Non-believers get rid of your god, too.

Personally, I think the Greek gods were the best, and if I were to believe, I'd go with them. They're on the one hand helpful, and on the other impish and somewhat sadistic. That is how life passes, with good moments and also tsunamis and childhood cancer. Zeus et al can't be trusted, but maybe you can make a deal with them.

• Confused 1

36 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Yours is a statement built on false logic, or rather no logic at all. Of course religion requires the absence of logic in order to work, so par for the course.

What would this 'competitiveness' look like? The breakfast cereal aisle at the supermarket or toothpaste commercials on TV? "Believe in me and I promise whiter teeth and fresher breath !"

If these gods always existed, 13.8 billion years is chump change. Perhaps they take turns creating a Universe, putting in a Planck's Constant and all the other things a Universe needs to behave a certain way, then let it play out over a trillion years or so. Then the next team of deities takes their turn and lets it run a trillion years or so.

Or maybe one god is looking for praise and thanks (quite human frailties qualities), and an impish competitor god tosses in a major tsunami that turns some people away from the first god.

Humans have this provincial view that it is 'progress' or 'civilized' to abandon polytheism and adopt monotheism. The Greek gods got tossed, and then the Roman gods. So did the Scandinavian gods. Hindus have retained 10 million gods, holdouts that they are. Non-believers just eliminate even the last fantasy, and have zero gods.

You are a non-believer with respect to Thor, Zeus, Allah, Krishna and all the others. Non-believers get rid of your god, too.

Personally, I think the Greek gods were the best, and if I were to believe, I'd go with them. They're on the one hand helpful, and on the other impish and somewhat sadistic. That is how life passes, with good moments and also tsunamis and childhood cancer. Zeus et al can't be trusted, but maybe you can make a deal with them.

Why do you waste so much time trying to convince others there isn't a God? Do you think your mislead naivete is going to sway a believers faith? If you believe in the Gods of Olympus, then that's your deal. You can fantasize all you want from movies and legends that were made up. Allah is God by the way. You can't get rid of God, as he is and always will be. What you think is because something either happened to you, meaning you lost someone and blamed God for it, or were taught by parents that tried to force religion down your throat, using God as a an excuse to cause fear for you to behave. Maybe you heard some scientist say they had a reason to believe that the universe just came to be from an explosion of sorts, but that God wasn't involved because that's what he believed, although many scientists do believe there is a God. You do know how many believers there are don't you? Are all these people naive or maybe they know something you don't, or don't care to. And again, I don't believe in a man made religion. I just believe in God. I'm not a non believer in false gods. I just have common sense, and again, if there were many gods, you would definitely see a competition somewhere, as they would all like to have everyone as their followers. The real God gave us free will to choose. You chose wrong, and you will find out when you pass, because everyone talks to God eventually. None of your words convince anyone that believes, that there is no God, so again, why waste your time replying? The ones here that are believers, see you as a lost cause, someone who has no hope after this short life, and that lives the way they choose, hopefully not hurting anyone along the way. You still have a chance to change your thinking, because God still loves you.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Then you have Thai people who believe in buddha and Ganesh and snake gods etc. I asked my girlfriend to explain how it works and who's in charge but she thinks I am being churlish. 

36 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

I agree with @fredwiggy in a way because he firmly believes in something and he is faithful to it.

All the other gods you mention may or may not have existed, just like christianity, but they came from the need to believe in something.

If you want to go further back, ask yourself, what did people believe in before the gods came along?

If we believe that people were around before religion, why are there so many different religions around the world?

Who chooses what a religion and what the rules are going to be? What gives anyone the right to found a religion and then condemn all other religions as false and all their followers as unbelievers and heretics?

On 9/29/2023 at 8:40 AM, GammaGlobulin said:

The Question Is:  If, and only if, you believe in God, do you believe God to be trustworthy?

If yes, then why?

If no, then why?

IF you do NOT believe in GOD, 

THEN, this TOPIC is NOT for you, …and...

Therefore...

Please do not comment here.

Since I DO believe in GOD, I will only comment that...

I have not found GOD to be completely trustworthy.

However, I assume that your views might differ from mine.

In God We Trust, is the phrase like the Greenback?

And when you cannot trust the Greenback?...

US-%241-LT-1862-Fr-16c.jpg

Can we trust in GOD to always be trustworthy?

How has GOD proved Himself to be trustworthy during the past few years, for example?

Ever thought about it???

You can only think God is not trustworthy if you think it's his duty to do your wishes. Did you ever think that giving you what you want could hurt someone else?

A crude example. You're in a trade. You've invested big money in this trade. It's going south and you're facing huge losses. If you prayed for God to save your investment, that can only happen if other people lose. It's zero sum. Helping you would hurt others... yet if you prayed and lost you might question God's trustworthiness.

God is not a slave to your desires.

Perhaps you could give a specific example of when God was not trustworthy, from your point of view.

Edited by JensenZ

I don’t trust traffic lights.  Sometimes, they suffer failures, and give confusing and conflicting indication, and sometimes, motorcycles and cars run through them at speed.  I’d rather put my faith in observing the traffic.  That doesn’t stop me following the religious directives, and stoping on red, but if there’s no traffic moving, I’ll put safety above legal piety and cross when it’s safe.  I trust God to take a more beneficent view on this than I trust the police, whom I know for sure exist.

13 hours ago, billd766 said:

I agree with @fredwiggy in a way because he firmly believes in something and he is faithful to it.

All the other gods you mention may or may not have existed, just like christianity, but they came from the need to believe in something.

If you want to go further back, ask yourself, what did people believe in before the gods came along?

If we believe that people were around before religion, why are there so many different religions around the world?

Who chooses what a religion and what the rules are going to be? What gives anyone the right to found a religion and then condemn all other religions as false and all their followers as unbelievers and heretics?

I wasn't going to respond to any more questions on here, but you raise an interesting point, so:

Easy to answer that. Religion is a man made concept, ( unlike the existence of a non interfering God, creator, omnipotent being, or whatever one wants to describe God as ) and IMO religion began as a means to gain power and wealth from the primitive sheeple way back thousands of years ago. What better way to get a "sacrifice" of meat or fruit etc than to tell the gullible that thunder, or lightning, or a solar eclipse were the gods talking and if they didn't hand over the goodies the gods would make life unpleasant. Of course the con artists could "speak" to the gods on their behalf to "save" them, and when  the storm passed or the eclipse ended, they could say "I spoke to the gods and you are saved, so keep handing over the goodies"

As time went on the con men created "religious" rituals and wore silly hats to identify themselves as "conduits to the gods" and without them, the people were in for a bad time. So, when something bad happened, like an earthquake, the priests could say "you are being punished by god, so give us more goodies and we will fix it for you"

As people grew up in different areas of the world without knowing of each other's existence the rituals and gods differed. Jump forward thousands of years, and a few of the rituals were solidified into major religions eg Hinduism, Buddhism, Christianity and Islam, with a few minor ones as well.

The "conduits to the gods" have grown rich ( eg the Vatican ), still wear silly hats and still demand goodies in exchange for interceding with the gods.

No matter that we emerged from the cave thousands of years ago, as at heart we are still mentally the same- fearful of the unknown, except for some "god" has been replaced by such as money, celebrity, Chicken Little etc.

I believe in God/ Nature but I don't believe that God is going to give me the winning Lotto number if I hand over some cash to a priest. We are, IMO on our own till we return to the creator when our biological transport mechanism dies.

• Thumbs Up 1

You questioned God's trustworthiness during the last few years.  I think you are referring to the covid fears and how could God put us through that plague.

This period  was instrumental in my development in my relationship to God.  God was testing my faith. 

My internal instincts were questioning the news reports and expert opinions of covid.  But who should I trust?

So I rolled up my sleeves and started reading books and analyzing the situation.  It took a lot of effort.

Bishop Fulton Sheen introduced a pivotal aspect that I didn't consider before.  He discussed the devil's gameplan of deceit on the whole world and how the elect would carry it out.

Then another book described God's medicine, urotherapy, which doesn't require a diagnosis.  This was a new one on me. It differed so significantly from all my schooling. Science calls urine a waste product. God calls it a miracle elixor of health and vitality.  One or the other was flat out wrong. 

I admit I felt foolish drinking my first glass of urine.  But I had to know.  My profound belief in God skyrocketed as all my ailments dissappeared and my ability to access God's Holy Spirit of omnipotence ramped up higher then ever before.

My soul is very different.  The worry,fear, and anxiety are gone.  Healthy vibrant body has returned.  Faith in God and trust in his omnipotence eliminated all fear and anxiety.  I owe it to God and his infinite wisdom.

Some on here don't seem to comprehend that only the true God answers your prayers.  The false idols don't.