School management told to explain slapping incident

webfact

image.jpeg

Move Forward party-list MP Wiroj Lakkhanaadisorn has called on the management of an unnamed but well-known school in Bangkok’s Ramkhamhaeng area to explain an incident, widely reported and shared on social media, in which a boy is slapped on his face by a female teacher, reportedly for refusing to call her “Mom”.

The outspoken MP told the media that he wants to know if the teacher shown in the clip is really a teacher at the school, adding that, if she is, she does not deserve to teach anymore.

Judging from the video clip, Wiroj said that the slap was not unintentional, but a sudden outburst of anger, despite the fact that the victim made a “wai” gesture and apologised for declining to call her “Mom”.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-09-29

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

58 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Outrageous... While authorities refuse to penalise teachers for their assaults on children, there are those will continue to demand reverence while continuing to act in such a wholly unproffessional manner. 

Here we clearly have a very unhinged woman... Demanding student caller her 'mom' highlights a complete disconnect with healthy reality. 

Props to the student for refusing to bend to the teacher's demands - at the very minimum he deserve's a full apology from the teacher, while she should be put up on assault charges. 

I know many will want to 'go keyboard warrior' with comments that IF this were their child the teacher would be facing a Machiavellian response and I'd completely agree.

People in positions of power can DEMAND respect and get some sort of respect, but real respect must be earned, and that is not easy.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 minutes ago, billd766 said:

You are generalising once again over this incident,

Don't tar every Thai teacher as the same, because they are not.

Like people everywhere, there are some very good, most are average and there are a small proportion that are bad to very bad.

The middle lot need some help to improve and the last lot need to be sacked.

Sadly it is difficult to tell by looking who will fall into which category.

Most school managers and directors also fall into those categories.

I personally know 5 Thai teachers, all female and all awful.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

When did this happen? Both are wearing facemasks, even though Covid pretty much stopped being a major problem at least a year ago. At least, it did in most countries of the world. Is Thailand still at major risk, and shouldn't TAT warn tourists?

I'm sorry to inform you BB ..  this story has nothing to do with face masks.

Thailand is not a major risk country for Covid,  it's just Thais are a bit slow as your probably already aware.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, windas said:

Hi guys

Are you sure it was a slap, as it was done with the left hand and most people are right handed and would automatically use that.

Cheers windas

As Quoted : ' Judging from the video clip, Wiroj said that the slap was not unintentional, but a sudden outburst of anger '

any further questions Windas ....  

• Haha 1

Fuss over a little tap. Kids need to harden up these days. 

My grade 3 teacher used to use a ruler on me.

By the time grade 6 came around it was the cane from the head master.

Builds character.

And just look how good I turned out.

Boys especially need a good whack to keep them in line. Otherwise they wont listen.

• Like 1
  • Sad 4
  • Love It 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Outrageous... While authorities refuse to penalise teachers for their assaults on children, there are those will continue to demand reverence while continuing to act in such a wholly unproffessional manner. 

Here we clearly have a very unhinged woman... Demanding student caller her 'mom' highlights a complete disconnect with healthy reality. 

Props to the student for refusing to bend to the teacher's demands - at the very minimum he deserve's a full apology from the teacher, while she should be put up on assault charges. 

I know many will want to 'go keyboard warrior' with comments that IF this were their child the teacher would be facing a Machiavellian response and I'd completely agree.

Oh get off your stupid high horse. Virtue signalling. We all went to schools with corporal punishment and I doubt that it did us much harm.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Also makes me wonder what criteria / mental assessments / behavioral balance tests etc., are used in the recruitment process.

I honestly don't think that there are any such assessments and tests here, other than perhaps a willingness to pay for the offer of a job which may pay B20,000 a month.