Trump co-defendant pleads guilty in Georgia election case

Social Media

14 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Boon or not it is great that three now have caved to admitting they are going to plead and help. Still the truth prevail with all the other 16 testifying with inside knowledge of Trumps crimes.

And maybe others will go for plea deals. But note to you and others who like to reference the 'overwhelming evidence', evidence isn't evidence until it is admitted in court.

I remember reading an obituary for musician David Crosby who said:  I am really not unlike any other drug addict. The only difference was: I had lots of money.

98% of all federal indictments result in plea bargains. There are very few indicted on federal charges who can outspend the Feds.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

And maybe others will go for plea deals. But note to you and others who like to reference the 'overwhelming evidence', evidence isn't evidence until it is admitted in court.

I remember reading an obituary for musician David Crosby who said:  I am really not unlike any other drug addict. The only difference was: I had lots of money.

98% of all federal indictments result in plea bargains. There are very few indicted on federal charges who can outspend the Feds.

I have always appreciated your caution on these MAGA situations. 

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Well Chesebro has just taken a cooperation deal, so there will be no trial for these two.

DG Willis is firing on all cylinders, she now has two cooperating witnesses who were right at the heart of the crime scheme. 

They will get to give their testimony in later trials and Trump doesn’t get a preview of the prosecution strategy.

Feel free to ‘caution’ that into some variation of ‘Trump will get away with it all’.

Thank you. Courtesy Ms. Maggie Haberman:

Then again, if he (Chesebro) did give testimony in Georgia, any statements he made from the stand would be fair game for Mr. Smith’s prosecutors if they ultimately decided to bring charges.

“Cheseboro and Powell are both unindicted co-conspirators in a pending federal indictment. That could make it hard for them to get on the stand in Georgia because truthful answers under oath in that jurisdiction could expose them to criminal liability in the federal case,” said (Chuck Rosenberg, a former U.S. attorney and senior F.B.I. official.)

“There is also an open question about how credible they might be — given some of the outlandish claims they made — before a Georgia jury,” he said. “Any good prosecutor would need to weigh the costs and benefits of putting either one of them on the stand.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/20/us/politics/chesebro-plea-deal-georgia-trump.html

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Thank you. Courtesy Ms. Maggie Haberman:

Then again, if he (Chesebro) did give testimony in Georgia, any statements he made from the stand would be fair game for Mr. Smith’s prosecutors if they ultimately decided to bring charges.

“Cheseboro and Powell are both unindicted co-conspirators in a pending federal indictment. That could make it hard for them to get on the stand in Georgia because truthful answers under oath in that jurisdiction could expose them to criminal liability in the federal case,” said (Chuck Rosenberg, a former U.S. attorney and senior F.B.I. official.)

“There is also an open question about how credible they might be — given some of the outlandish claims they made — before a Georgia jury,” he said. “Any good prosecutor would need to weigh the costs and benefits of putting either one of them on the stand.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/20/us/politics/chesebro-plea-deal-georgia-trump.html

Oh no… ‘Trump’s going to get away with all’.

• Confused 1

31 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Oh no… ‘Trump’s going to get away with all’.

He might. In the US there is a phrase "Getting off on a technicality" wherein even though everyone knows the perp actually did it, the prosecution screws up and the jury knows it.

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, earlinclaifornia said:

Do you expect that will change and both may now want to plead to the Federal inditements next?

Beats me. As yet they are only un-indicted co-conspirators in the WashDC case. As per the above link, they could refuse to self-incriminate at any future federal trial but anything they said in any Georgia trial could be used against them.

7 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Beats me. As yet they are only un-indicted co-conspirators in the WashDC case. As per the above link, they could refuse to self-incriminate at any future federal trial but anything they said in any Georgia trial could be used against them.

It is reasonable to conclude that they are unindicted co-conspirators in the Federal case for a reason.

• Thumbs Up 1

One of straws grasped by Trump supporters was the idea the the Georgia courts would not be able to handle so many defendants and their trials.

Their hope being that Trump would not be put on trial until after the 2024 election.

Well now these two defendants have cut a deal and they won’t be going to trial.

The schedule just got freed up.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

One of straws grasped by Trump supporters was the idea the the Georgia courts would not be able to handle so many defendants and their trials.

Their hope being that Trump would not be put on trial until after the 2024 election.

Well now these two defendants have cut a deal and they won’t be going to trial.

The schedule just got freed up.

Yes. Now only 16 instead of 19.

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

2 fed criminal trials and 2 state criminal trials.

One less State trial now and it is the ability or otherwise of the State Courts to conduct the trials that Trump supporters have been pinning their hopes on.

Who knows, maybe more defendants will flip.

Regardless, the removal of one trial from the queue is a blow to anyone hoping the trails would run out past the 2024 election.

3 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

One less State trial now and it is the ability or otherwise of the State Courts to conduct the trials that Trump supporters have been pinning their hopes on.

Who knows, maybe more defendants will flip.

Regardless, the removal of one trial from the queue is a blow to anyone hoping the trails would run out past the 2024 election.

I don't know who hopes what. One of the reasons that 98% of Federal indictments result in plea bargain is that few except large corporations have the financial ability to put up al legal defense and motion after motion let alone to multiple charges in multiple jurisdictions concurrently.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

I don't know who hopes what. One of the reasons that 98% of Federal indictments result in plea bargain is that few except large corporations have the financial ability to put up al legal defense and motion after motion let alone to multiple charges in multiple jurisdictions concurrently.

That and being advised the prosecution have them banged to rights.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

That and being advised the prosecution have them banged to rights.

If you says so. Plenty of published articles and opinions by dis-interested former prosecutors, legal scholars, and others would not agree with that statement. The odds are against Trump in all circumstances but that ain't the same thing.

21 hours ago, illisdean said:

I said they are bogus and overcharged and so are many. Don't be so obvious obstinant, and go check for yourself. Read the indictments, compare it to the Powell plea and ask yourself how a prosecution goes from major RICO felony to state election misdemeanor pea deal the night before the case is scheduled to go to trial (jury selection). Lol...figure it out for yourself.

Because they will turn in evidence against a bigger player.

Shouldn't be difficult to understand. 

• Thumbs Up 1

57 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

If you says so. Plenty of published articles and opinions by dis-interested former prosecutors, legal scholars, and others would not agree with that statement. The odds are against Trump in all circumstances but that ain't the same thing.

What, so being informed by your own legal team that the prosecutors have you banged to rights isn’t a motivation to go for a plea deal?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Well, Powell certainly could afford a defense:

Sidney Powell’s nonprofit raised $16 million as she spread election falsehoods

https://archive.ph/eDnxC

I haven't been able to find anything about Chesebro's funding. But I did find this:'

"But friends said his politics seemed to shift after he reaped sizable returns from his investments in cryptocurrency in the past half-decade. He began to stake out more-libertarian positions in legal briefs, especially in his home state of Wisconsin, where he started donating to Republicans and working with a former judge, Jim Troupis, who Chesebro would later testify under oath had brought him into Trump’s orbit."

https://archive.ph/XY5YX

So maybe money wasn't the reason.

And a big reason that the Feds have such a high conviction rate is that they don't like to bring a case except if they have extremely strong evidence. (It's a strong indication of how politically inspired John Durham was that the 2 cases he developed both failed miserably in court.)

• Like 1
  • Love It 1

2 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

Isn't this a state trial, not a federal one?

• Thumbs Up 2

4 hours ago, jerrymahoney said:

The topic is: Trump co-defendant pleads guilty in Georgia election case

The 'Feds' are not involved.

You don't get it.

First off, any Georgia testimony by the flippers can be used in Federal court.

Secondly, its likely the Georgia flippers will flip in the Federal cases.

Thirdly, it is likely there will be more Georgia flippers.

More to the point, even you can see where this is going: once the flipping starts, it ends with the Big Guys getting convicted.

Could contain:

Edited by Danderman123
  • Thanks 2

All my quotes today have been from the NY Times. And as has been posted on here before:

Enough of this ‘he’s going to get away with it all nonsense’.

I’m sure The NY Times needs the traffic generated by keeping everyone on the hook with ‘he’s going to get away with it all’

• Thumbs Up 1