Immigration e-mails classed as junk

Ever since the start of the new on-line (and also when using the old) TM47 - 90 day reports, the e-mails from Immigration have gone into my Outlook Inbox.

I applied earlier in the week to register for the new TM30 - house registration system, with no reply/response having been received I tried again today using the same data, to be told that I am already recognized. On checking the computer I found that Outlook is now redirecting Immigration e-mails into the junk folder.

Just a word of warning, it may not happen to you, but if it does............

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Got nothing to do with Thailand, is a Microsoft thing.

No!

I agree that there are enough email systems out there which are not administered and/or setup properly, not only in Thailand.

But Microsoft provides one of the best email systems out there with very good spam protection for outgoing and incoming emails. I use their services for several clients, and it works better than any other email system which I tried. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:

As previously posted, once you mark a sender as "Not Spam" it is then sent to your Inbox. Mine are always sent from

[email protected]

as I imagine are all Immigration emails.

Nope

[email protected]

for example, the other e-mail classified as junk was a derivative of this but I no longer have it

21 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No!

I agree that there are enough email systems out there which are not administered and/or setup properly, not only in Thailand.

My guess would be that the system admins of their server haven't configured SPF, DKIM and DMARC so that the emails sent from immigration are likely to be classed as spam. This is regardless of content and a "must do" for any sender of emails if you want them to get delivered (but likely they don't care anyway). One way to check is to inspect properties of an email and it will say whether or not it passed these measures or failed. If failed then a message will almost certainly be treated as junk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

You haven't got a clue. It has nothing to do with Thailand.

You use emails, great. I am 40 years in IT.

Stick to the Go Go topics.

Says little how long you are in IT, there are very few that are good in email if it comes to this type of details, specially as it has to do a lot with the scale which emails are send on. And in this case, they send to all kinds of providers and a lot too.

The experience actually says very little too, most things relevant or used today, are entirely different. Even someone who did PHP 15 years ago, will struggle with PHP as it is today, to just give one example.

So yes, Microsoft 365 will flag this, but many others will do that too, if they have a good Spam filter. Reason is often because the origin email server is not setup properly, or is not the right type of email server and configuration, for the way and scale they send emails.

The email from the immigration sender seems to be connected to Google Workspace by the way, if they use that to send ten thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people email, without them having opted in properly first, it is no surprise to be flagged IMO.

But I guess neither of you even did that basic check so far hehe.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

I registered for the new TM30 system on Friday.

I use a gmail account.

registration, change of password email directed to Inbox/Primary.

All of the Imm no-reply emails (TM47 reminder/submittal/approval, appointments booked, etc.) arrive in my Primary gmail inbox. 

I think most folks know to check the spam/promotion folders if they are expecting an email?

10 hours ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Says little how long you are in IT, there are very few that are good in email if it comes to this type of details, specially as it has to do a lot with the scale which emails are send on. And in this case, they send to all kinds of providers and a lot too.

The experience actually says very little too, most things relevant or used today, are entirely different. Even someone who did PHP 15 years ago, will struggle with PHP as it is today, to just give one example.

So yes, Microsoft 365 will flag this, but many others will do that too, if they have a good Spam filter. Reason is often because the origin email server is not setup properly, or is not the right type of email server and configuration, for the way and scale they send emails.

The email from the immigration sender seems to be connected to Google Workspace by the way, if they use that to send ten thousands if not hundreds of thousands of people email, without them having opted in properly first, it is no surprise to be flagged IMO.

But I guess neither of you even did that basic check so far hehe.

I am still working in IT, "hehe"

So what do you think is it a Thailand problem?

On 9/30/2023 at 6:32 PM, foreverlomsak said:

Ever since the start of the new on-line (and also when using the old) TM47 - 90 day reports, the e-mails from Immigration have gone into my Outlook Inbox.

I applied earlier in the week to register for the new TM30 - house registration system, with no reply/response having been received I tried again today using the same data, to be told that I am already recognized. On checking the computer I found that Outlook is now redirecting Immigration e-mails into the junk folder.

Just a word of warning, it may not happen to you, but if it does............

May Outlook knows something about Thai immigration that you don't. ????

• Haha 1

On 10/1/2023 at 2:03 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

But Microsoft provides one of the best email systems out there with very good spam protection for outgoing and incoming emails. I use their services for several clients, and it works better than any other email system which I tried. 

Totally agree, Outlook and GMail are the best.

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Totally agree, Outlook and GMail are the best.

Gmail reads all your mails and by joining, you agree that they can use the content of your mail for advertising purposes. Gmail is not fit for security purposes if you have a business and don't want to share your content with people you don't know.

• Like 2

On 9/30/2023 at 12:32 PM, foreverlomsak said:

On checking the computer I found that Outlook is now redirecting Immigration e-mails into the junk folder.

That is an ill informed statement. Outlook in common with other email service providers use an email filtering arrangement. Filtering arrangements operate on a variety of criteria and it would be up to individuals to try and prevent an incorrect assessment such as whitelisting sources or adding to contact lists.

It would be wrong to assume all immigration emails come from the same source or have the same subject line. 

Lots of good information,

Just right click on Outlook IMM email and say not junk.

Additionally, set up a separate IMM folder and create a filter rule for IMM emails

All emails from IMM will be filtered into your IMM folder.

There are a raft of things that can cause diversion of IMM emails in Spam or Junk folders

Not sure but I think in the case of Outllok.com (Outlook Live) Microsoft have their own email servers

Microsoft applies algorithms to determine if their outgoing email to a recipient is valid or possible false, scam, or junk.

These algorithms are based on a variety of factors, including:

The sender's email address and domain reputation.

The content of the email, including the subject line, body text, and any attachments.

The recipient's email address and domain reputation.

The sender's and recipient's past interactions.

https://www.mailersend.com/blog/dns-records  ..... very technical stuff on email records.

I think many people on this forum know you can use free tools like MXToolBox  or DNS Checker and Others to validate email DNS records.